Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-15-2015, 10:20 AM   #1

Propane Oven Use and Condensation

We wonder if using the propane oven is causing any condensation issues for anyone? It looks like whenever we use it, for a roast or ribs, that say take 2-3 hours on low, the place gathers moisture more than normal.

We stay on top of moisture, by cracking a window, and running our fan a couple times a day. We also use the black bowls with dry-air in them to collect condensation. But, when using the oven, it's on all the windows, even next morning.
hinterland is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2015, 10:48 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hinterland View Post
We wonder if using the propane oven is causing any condensation issues for anyone? It looks like whenever we use it, for a roast or ribs, that say take 2-3 hours on low, the place gathers moisture more than normal.
We stay on top of moisture, by cracking a window, and running our fan a couple times a day. We also use the black bowls with dry-air in them to collect condensation. But, when using the oven, it's on all the windows, even next morning.
hinterland
Using any propane appliance that does not burn OS air and send the exhust to the outside of a RV adds humidity to the air inside the RV.
(BTW, so does breathing, showering and cooking with electrical appliances, but to a lesser extent).
I find that "continuously running" an exhust fan/roof vent helps to some extent.
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 11:50 AM   #3

what mel s said . . . and this year we bought a de-humidifier since we are living in it all winter long. It works REALLY well!
Old 12-15-2015, 12:07 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Combustion almost always produces moisture vapor.
Old 12-15-2015, 04:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
hinterland
Using any propane appliance that does not burn OS air and send the exhust to the outside of a RV adds humidity to the air inside the RV.
(BTW, so does breathing, showering and cooking with electrical appliances, but to a lesser extent).
I find that "continuously running" an exhust fan/roof vent helps to some extent.
Mel
'96 Safari
Thank you, we are learning something every day!
Old 12-15-2015, 05:03 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane772 View Post
what mel s said . . . and this year we bought a de-humidifier since we are living in it all winter long. It works REALLY well!
What kind of dehumidifier? Are you in warm climate or cold? Thanks for the reply.
Old 12-16-2015, 08:04 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hinterland View Post
What kind of dehumidifier? Are you in warm climate or cold? Thanks for the reply.
We bought GE model: ADEL50LR. We are in Oklahoma, it's been a pretty mild winter so far, dropping into the 20's only a few times. We had moisture inside our windows and on the walls when it dropped that low. Since running the dehumidifier it has cured those issues.
Old 12-16-2015, 08:12 AM   #8

Dual pane windows do seem to help this from occurring. This is one of the reasons we have them. We had a travel trailer where the walls and windows were dripping with condensation. Opening a vent and running a fan did not help.
jpharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 04:44 PM   #9

Went yesterday to Home Hardware and bought a dehumidifier, 20 pints model. So far, it is taking moisture out of the air. Pulled the mattress out from the wall, even tho I had sunshades from the vehicle department store between wall and bed, there was 3" of moisture. Also under the mattress where your upper body lies, moisture between the mattress and plywood, I'd also had sunshade there!
So we put foam board, in these spots and will try that tonight.
Old 12-18-2015, 07:43 PM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Where are you? Warmer and humid outside? Moderate and humid outside? Warm and dry but you don't ever open up the camper for fresh air? Cold and dry and you never open the camper up for fresh air?

I'm in the California high desert. Cold at night, sometimes well down into the twenties, but zero condensation problems.

Water leak maybe? Old(er) camper that doesn't ventilate well unless every window and the door is open all at the same time?
Old 12-18-2015, 07:53 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane772 View Post

We have a dehumidifier similar to Shane772 which we use the winter months when the coach is buttoned up and the heat is on. In the Summer, the AC functions as a dehumidifier in itself (hence the condensate running out of the roof AC units) so an additional dehumidifier isn't needed.

Ours is a by Soleusair, it has a 25 pint collection tub for condensate, and you can program it for a specific % of humidifier as a target. It will come on and go off periodically as needed to achieve that % level. A MUST HAVE in our opinion if living in in the Winter!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 07:57 PM   #12

Ditto on the dual pane windows as well. Although any dehumidifier requires on-board 110AC power to run!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 08:47 AM   #13

Southern BC Interior, gets down to 6 below C, and some snow.
Old 12-19-2015, 10:21 AM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
The combination of very cold outside and the humidity you are making inside is what is causing your condensation problem. You probably never open your camper to the outside air, which below freezing, even if it's snowing, would be fairly dry.

If you essentially refuse to open some vents for air exchange while cooking, cleaning, etc., then the dehumidifier is your only good choice. Those little buckets with chemicals couldn't keep up with the humidity I would make from cooking, showering, etc., so I would have to open two windows or vents and turn the furnace up.

Your summers are probably humid, too. Running the air conditioner (if you have one) removes humidity, and so will the dehumidifier.

I'm guessing you are on shore power, at least hoping you are, as running a gennie almost 24/7 isn't something I would look forward to.

I hope things dry out for you before the camper occupants mold.

Tags
propane