Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-06-2018, 08:25 AM   #1

Propane Tank Gauge

Was looking online at different brands of propane tank gauges. Quite a difference of price, really don't want to spend $70. Has anyone had experience with any of them?
campinsharz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2018, 08:35 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by campinsharz View Post
Was looking online at different brands of propane tank gauges. Quite a difference of price, really don't want to spend $70. Has anyone had experience with any of them?
I use this gauge and it's $16:

https://www.amazon.com/DOZYANT-Indic...dp/B007WH7S4A/

There seems to a lot in that price range with good reviews.
MapleKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 05:18 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Be aware that gauges of that type basically only provide an Almost Empty" warning. They will remain in the large "ok" area until the last minute and then go quickly to Empty. That's because they can only read the vapor pressure at the outlet and that doesn't change much (if at all) as long as there is any liquid propane left in the tank. As long as there is any liquid propane in the tank to vaporize, the vapor pressure stays about the same.

The only way to get a true gauge reading is a mechanical float type gauge, which involves replacing the tank valve with one that has a float built in. That type will show the liquid level, which can be directly measured and will be accurate.

An alternate technique is to weigh the tank. After adjusting for the weight of the empty tank (stamped on the side of the tank), the remaining weight is the gas. You can determine the remaining liquid propane as the weight decreases. A full 20 lb LP tank contains 20 lbs of gas in addition to the weight of the bottle (about 16-18 lbs). If the weight drops to 10 lbs, the tank is half full.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 07:30 PM   #4
Commercial Member

Propane tank pressure depends on the temperature and remains high (100 to 300psi) until there is no liquid to vaporize (empty). This makes pressure gauges useless except for taking money from your pocket.

A float type valve, pouring water over the tank, weighing the tank or a ultrasonic sensor are your only choices. I use one of these
https://www.truma.com/us/en/products...check-gas.html
Old 06-07-2018, 05:03 AM   #5

You don't need a gauge at all. All you need is some hot water and your hand.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 06:36 AM   #6
IC2

After a couple tries to find one that is reliable and long lasting, have chosen to guesstimate while on the road by loosening then lifting the tank. While at home, get the scales out.

there is one that uses a sensor and a smart phone app is supposed to work well but since my phones still have cords or flip open ..... wont work for me
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 06:37 AM   #7

While a pressure is never going to give you and accurate level reading, I have found it to be helpful and does give an indications as to when the tank is getting low. I have never had an issue be that on my backyard grill, my maple sugaring operation or on my TT and based on the thousands of positive reviews I don't think others have as well.

I agree it's not going to be fully accurate but the OP sounded like they wanted a cheaper solution. The water trick might just do the trick!
MapleKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 09:20 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
https://www.amazon.com/Dozenegg-0019...ane+tank+gaugeThis one seems to work pretty good for us on our big motor home tank - should be fine on portable tanks. Can't get much cheaper.Just pour hot water over strip and color changes to show level. Magnetic so it can be easily moved to different tanks.
Suzie & Chuck USNR USAF USCGA Challenger Owners Club 2015 37KT Challenger, Demco Commander tow bar, Ready Brake, Sewer Solutions, Safe-T-Plus 41-230, 5-Star tune, towing 2017 Ford Edge FWD 3.6L V-6 four down & 385 FastTrack kayak in the basement.
Summer - Creede, CO Winter - Okeechobee, FL
ctpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 09:29 AM   #9

My Camco gauges seem to work on my bottles.....it's a gauge, not an absolute...
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 01:39 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I agree with TeamFoxy, Pour hot water on the side of the tank and you can feel the exact level where the temp cools off. I have a gauge now but used the hot water method for over 20 years.
Old 06-07-2018, 01:52 PM   #11

Forest River Owners Club
I got this one for Fathers Day 3 yrs ago and it works great on my 20 Gal tanks. but it is not accurate for smaller/larger tanks.

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...l_8ec8u5t3iq_b
modemem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 11:03 AM   #12

Does this work during a hot summer day 90-100deg?
brad plomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 11:16 AM   #13

I have this one and it works great. I have the 2 tank model. It also transmits the level info to an app on your phone.

I bought mine on sale for around $80

https://smile.amazon.com/AP-Products...auge+bluetooth

Here is the dual tank model. You can save around 10$ if you don't want the display that is standalone from the phone but I kinda like having it in the trailer.

http://tweetys.com/tank-check-024-10...xoCS74QAvD_BwE

Without display
http://tweetys.com/tank-check-024-10...BoCGLsQAvD_BwE
Old 06-08-2018, 03:07 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I found out my built in tank has a gauge on it. I have to get a flashlight and lie on the ground to read it but it's there, installed into the tank.
The guy I buy propane from locally says all built in tanks have them?
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane, tank