Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-04-2022, 03:28 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patti19064 View Post
I've been thinking about doing something similar. Sell the big house in PA, go full time, but have a home base where we can park the 5er if truck or trailer needs maintenance, or we just want a rest from the road. I call it a home for the tools. My concern is property maintenance. Around here there are regulations on keeping the grass cut. I'd like to be in PA, NJ or DE to be near family for visits, but I am open at this point. I was thinking in Florida I might get someplace that has a crushed shell yard that does not need to be mowed. Does anyone have any insight on what kind of property I could be looking for, that does not need constant yard maintenance?
Our place in Frostproof is maintained by the POA (property owners assoc.). The monthly fee is about $140. This provides lawn service (cut and edge), Trash removal, cable TV, and maintenance for the pool, hot tub, and clubhouse.
chuckie0204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2022, 04:57 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjenk View Post
My question is, does anyone know of any counties or states, that allow you to buy say and acre of land, and let you live on it indefinitely in an RV, provide of course you have a sewer and water source? For electric, I want to go solar, off grid. Has anyone done this? And where?
DrJenk - as others have stated…I think most counties in TX will require you to install engineered and approved septic system, and that may be it! I have 2.5 acres in eastern Williamson County. No issues here. No deed restrictions in our area. Don’t have to ask anybody anything. When we bought this place it had been part of a 100 acre corn/cotton field. We landscaped and planted trees. Now - nobody can see us and we can’t see neighbors 3 junk car “projects”. Our property, improvements, RV garage and mobile home are paid off so we have insurance and property taxes to pay. We are in a small rural school district. Our property tax bill for 2021 was $412. If we were on the west side of IH35 our tax bill would be $3000 to $5000…big and expensive school districts. We do have to drive at least 15 minutes to the nearest Walmart for groceries. I can’t answer your solar or well water questions, but I can tell you that the wind BLOWS ALOT out here on the Blackland Prarie. Many times I have wished I had a residential wind turbine.

Samsung is building a $2 billion chip plant campus 15 miles south of us. Rumor has it that Microsoft may be planning a big chip plant near Lockhart (southeast of Austin) so property values have already started climbing in anticipation of lots of folks moving out east of Austin - but it is still much cheaper than the Hill Country.

Best of luck with your search!
MikenDebbie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 05:21 AM   #31

Guess it all depends on what you want. We own RV lots in FL and VA that are our bases to travel from. VA lot has a small cabin that we can stay in if the coach is in the shop. Some people in the parks do quite well with container gardens and have rather extensive landscaping. We. Like it because lawn care is included and we don't come back to high weeds etc. The park in FL also forwards mail to wherever we are.
Having a home base and an exit plan is always a good idea. We would want a home in or near a town with shopping and healthcare for when it gets hard for us to drive. Acreage in the boonies doesn't really work well after 80.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 06:43 AM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
We bought 17 acres 20 years ago & put a travel trailer on it. There was already electric & a well, so when we moved in while building our home years later we installed a septic system. We're out of the city limits, so no issues there. Ag exempt is nice, but you need to check the requirements for the county you are in, here it's as least 10 acres, but if you put a home on it they take an acre away, so look out for those types of things. I'm in North Texas, but it's hot & humid here.
Old 07-04-2022, 07:03 AM   #33

Land to purchase

I know of an area. Socorro county, New Mexico. Last I knew, no building codes. Considered buying there and renting out RV spaces. Craigslist showed another owner doing that last year. Just so you know, and as someone else stated, prices are increasing.
Socorro is high desert. Water could be trucked. Passenger Train runs from Belen to ABQ. I've 2.5 acres in Sun Valley, Az. 7 dirt miles from I-40 exit. High desert. Some restrictions. 1000 gallon septic needed if a structure larger than 2-8X10' are present. Apache county same. But 10X12' or so. Concho lake area maybe. Good Luck, OP. Sam G.
homesteader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 07:14 AM   #34

There are many rural area in TX that you can buy and setup an RV for full time living. You just need to check for deed restrictions. Most all counties require a minimum of 1 acre to put in a septic system.
Jrkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 07:23 AM   #35

I need help to find property in Florida

Quote:
My wife and I thought it would be a good idea to have a small piece of property to call a home base for perhaps a few months at a time, to be able to grow some veggies in the summer, and take off to a winter destination of our choice for the winter. The problem is, most counties do not allow dwelling in a 5th wheel for very long, unless you have a building permit or such, and even they they will only renew at max one time. Yes of course we can dwell in smaller park like spots, such as the escapees coops, but there's not much room to grow very much, nor to expand with a small cabin later if we decide to.
My question is, does anyone know of any counties or states, that allow you to buy say and acre of land, and let you live on it indefinitely in an RV, provide of course you have a sewer and water source? For electric, I want to go solar, off grid. Has anyone done this? And where?
I too want to live out of my RV and need help finding someplace in Florida to do that. That pathway doesn't look like it will be with an agent. Any ideas are welcome.
Lovemy350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 10:16 AM   #36

Tiffin Owners Club
We set out on a similar quest last year looking for water front property in a mild weather climate along the east coast. I am in realestate development so I have a little experience. What I learned by researching a few different states was to find a property that has an existing structure on it this can be a mobile home or a rundown shack. One advantage I found to this is the properties will usually have utilities on them already. For my story we found a property on Florida Gulf coast that has a small under 1,000 sf house that needs some work. We have city water, electric & a septic tank, all on a oversized corner lot. We will only be there a few months a year and plan to Air B&B the house for a little extra income. Also keep in mind the housing market is still pretty crazy but if you can pay cash “dont need financing” find a property that the dwelling is a bit crappie the average buyer who needs to get a mortgage wont be able to buy allowing you to negotiate a lower price. Hope this helps happy hunting.
C. Waraks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 06:40 AM   #37

What your needing is land that is unrestricted. Even then, you need to do your footwork by actually checking with the state and county for any permitting and building restrictions. Even though your not going to build, it may dictate what can be used as living quarters upon the land. It’s not easy, but doable.

I bought two acres in Florida and as long as the land is raw and undeveloped, I don’t have a problem. DO NOT get a post office box number for the land. This will change everything. And not to the good.

Keep what you are doing on the property your business. A nose Nancy can cause all kinds of trouble. Best to get the land were the neighbors don’t want outside interference on how they should live.

I’m currently looking for land in Tenn, Ga, NC, VA or Kentucky. Tennessee appears to be more geared towards the land owner than the government on rules and codes. I’m not saying that these states are inclusive, just that these are my choices. Good luck
Classic6200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 04:09 PM   #38

Quote:
My wife and I thought it would be a good idea to have a small piece of property to call a home base for perhaps a few months at a time, to be able to grow some veggies in the summer, and take off to a winter destination of our choice for the winter. The problem is, most counties do not allow dwelling in a 5th wheel for very long, unless you have a building permit or such, and even they they will only renew at max one time. Yes of course we can dwell in smaller park like spots, such as the escapees coops, but there's not much room to grow very much, nor to expand with a small cabin later if we decide to.
I'm in a similar situation here in southern British Columbia on Kootenay Lake near Nelson. I'd like to sell my 1/4 acre flat lot, currently set up for an RV (covered 20 x 60 shelter) with all utilities and a two car garage (100amp panel) I'd like to buy a lot in the Carolinas for short duration RV usage. Property Guys has the listing.
2HOOTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 05:09 PM   #39

https://tennesseelandandlakes.com/th...gs/#purchasing

For those interested this place floods every year.
outlawten5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 09:24 PM   #40

Excel Owners Club
I’d like to introduce my daughter, Kim, and her husband, Russ.**They are new RVers who just bought an Excel IKE.**
My son-in-law is a real estate broker in TX.**He said there are rural places in TX where you can setup an RV on land that you own for full time living.**Most counties require a minimum of 1 acre to install a septic system.**
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FDDD7AFF-0351-43BF-98F4-F3C8C5C3CABD.jpeg
Views:	15
Size:	309.8 KB
ID:	370253  
dw8ite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 06:24 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlawten5 View Post
https://tennesseelandandlakes.com/th...gs/#purchasing

For those interested this place floods every year.

Lol that’s one heck of a sales pitch outlaw10 [emoji23]
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 12:20 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dog 1 View Post
cool thanks