Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-15-2021, 07:08 PM   #1

Pros and Cons

My wife and I are purchasing our Class A this week. We are choosing between a 2014 Itasca Ellipse 42GD, and a 2014 Entegra Aspire 42DEQ. They both have under 50,000 miles on them, both have tag axles which we love and both are very clean and well maintained. Both have great living areas. We would love peoples input from their experiences as we try and determine which one to buy. Thanks
Rlbbahill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2021, 10:05 PM   #2

If you aren't fond of a floorplan now you never will be, other than that I think the Entegra is better quality.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 06:27 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlbbahill View Post
My wife and I are purchasing our Class A this week. We are choosing between a 2014 Itasca Ellipse 42GD, and a 2014 Entegra Aspire 42DEQ. They both have under 50,000 miles on them, both have tag axles which we love and both are very clean and well maintained. Both have great living areas. We would love peoples input from their experiences as we try and determine which one to buy. Thanks
We at one time looked at those and similar coaches, but not that same floor plan. If I remember, both have the 450hp motor, but the Entegra has a side radiator. Also, we didn't like how the baggage doors were set up on the Winnebago, which is the same as the Itasca. Seems like you had to open two doors to access one space.
Old 11-16-2021, 08:08 AM   #4

Back when I looked into both coaches, the Entrega had vastly better insulation (in fact they were the top for insulation). But Winnie had a better floor plan.

Ultimately it should come down to which floor plan fits you better. As stated earlier, if you're not happy with it now you will hate it even more after living in it.
Old 11-16-2021, 08:38 AM   #5

Agreed about the floor plan, we have made that a main focus through this whole process. We like both floor plans, we just wish either had a bath and a half. I was just comparing the two as far as quality. I know Entegra has the better insulation, but I would have to travel down to Dallas TX from Ohio to get it, as where the Itasca is close to home. Now we just had another Itasca Ellipse enter the mix, a 2012 Ellipse but it only has 13,000 miles on it. Too many choices, lol. Which I guess is a good thing.
From everything I am reading the rear radiator placement is not that huge of an issue and actually quiets engine noise out the back.
Old 11-16-2021, 08:54 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to TurtleKent
Where will you get factory service? Both coaches are rear radiator, so those service considerations are the same. The Entegra is on a Spartan chassis, while the Itasca is on a Freightliner. Spartan has long been 'said' to have the superior ride. Factory service for Spartan is in Michigan, while Freightliner factory service is in Gaffney, SC(convenient for driving OH to FL).

Of greater concern for me is chassis rust, a common problem with northern coaches, whereas the Dallas coach likely has never seen road salt. I've had a few used 'northern' coaches, and would never have one again for that very reason.

But hurry, both coaches will likely be gone in 1-2 weeks!
Old 11-16-2021, 10:04 AM   #7

The Itasca has a rear radiator & Freightliner chassis; Entegra a side radiator and Spartan chassis which is superior.

The Itasca has a front kitchen and no window along the whole wall. The living room is in the center. That would cut down on your sometimes awesome views (mountains, streams, lakes) from the front window. We even had two moose looking in the window when in Alaska! Neat to watch them.

The Itasca has a wheelbase of 279"; Entegra is 296". A longer wheelbase is better for handling and doing those swinging turns.

The Itasca has an all-in-one bath so not condusive for 2 people using it at same time. The Entegra is a split bath so someone could be using the vanity if other is showering.

The Itasca has 85 gal fresh; 71 gray; 51 black
The Entegra has 80 fresh; 50 grey; 50 black

The Itasca has 40,500 BTU AC
The Entegra has 45,000 BTH AC

Also, compare in person the height of the sliding storage area. It seemed, when looking at the videos, that the Itasca wasn't very high so storing some things or even a large plastic tub might be difficult.

Of course, there could be many extra options on each so that you'd have to compare.

Personally, I'm in favor of the Entegra.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 10:08 AM   #8

Thanks Twogypsies, that is great insight!
Old 11-18-2021, 05:55 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
If the choice is Entegra and Tiffin, I'd go with Tiffin.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 06:23 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlbbahill View Post
Those are both nice. I like the way the Itasca Ellipse exterior looks. I think it has better lines. But you won’t go wrong. May want to consider things like tires, batteries, hoses and belts, oil change interval records, etc.
Country Road is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 11:02 AM   #11
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
If you aren't fond of a floorplan now you never will be, other than that I think the Entegra is better quality.
I agree!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote