Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2019, 03:46 PM   #15

3 years ago we bought a 1999 35 foot class A. It had 15000 miles and 200 hours on the generator. We've doubled the mileage and have been very pleased. No payments and it's been a reliable coach. I performed full maintenance and did some upgrades. With the money saved we are looking to buy a new road to pull behind it. It may be 20 years old but no one could ever tell. Best of luck!
Bahamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2019, 06:00 PM   #16

If headed down the "gently" used path, the Chevy 6.0L is worth a look as well.
Ndrorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 06:32 PM   #17

Fedex bought a fleet of Sprinters (Mercedes diesel), and bought them without a warranty to get them cheaper. Either they had a lot of faith in the durability, or maybe the turnaround in their own maintenance facilities was quicker than taking it to a dealer? Turning radius is sharp too. Getting turned around in the road is easier. Ford had problems with their vans because they put the wrong transmission fluid in from the factory. They were puking transmissions in short order, but that was when they first come out in the states.
hillbilly3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 10:26 PM   #18

Friends had one. As you're traveling, Sprinters (Mercedes diesel) are not easy to find service.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 05:33 AM   #19

Friend of mine has been in the vehicle repair bus. for as long as I have known him. He rents gas MGs and owns a gas Class A. His reason, "I can fix it but on the road you will find 1 diesel mechanic to 100 gas mechanics when you need one"!
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 07:41 AM   #20

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Friends had one. As you're traveling, Sprinters (Mercedes diesel) are not easy to find service.
Are they really? I see those vans everywhere. All the local plumbers, HVAC shops, and electricians use them, for instance. Even AT&T and Comcast have started using them around here for any work that doesn't require telephone pole access. And all the Amazon delivery vehicles are Sprinters. I doubt very much that they are all getting serviced at the local Mercedes Benz dealership!

I'm not saying you -- or rather, your friends -- are wrong, it's just hard for me to see. Maybe it's a regional thing?
schad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 08:47 AM   #21

Freightliner shops service them. Just have to find one that will.
You have to realize, most fleet trucks are serviced by their own shops. Verizon has their own fleet shops.
Old 10-13-2019, 07:40 AM   #22

Forest River Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Welcome to the IRV2.com FORUM(S).

When you first enter this group, a new Member may feel a bit overwhelmed by all the forums you can find here. First, you need to set up your USER CP
Once you open and start a menu will open on the left side just take it all in the step-by-step top to bottom.

NEXT, you will find this forum is made up of 14-Forums broken into four-part forums. First is the HOME, top left above the member's menu. This forum is very helpful to new members to learn and become more familiar with overtime.

NEXT TO HOME is FORUMS on the top left covering Community, RV Lifestyles, Regional and RV Camping. and to the right of this is RV Forums.

RV FORUMS on the top left covers a lot about TRUCKS, Conversations, MVT's, HDT's, Travel Trailers/5th Wheel Chassis & TECH stuff, Chassis CLUB, RV SYSTEMS, Powertrain Garage.

Then you have the OWNERS FORUMS Covering Registry, A-M, and N-Z.

Now if you pan down to the bottom of the page you will find other FORUMS and if you know or have a Class B, you can direct or join the CLASS B FORUMS at Class B Forums And if you get down to Florida this link may be very HELPFUL http://www.CampFlorida.com Enjoy the Roads.

So welcome you again, I hope you join in the fun and share your knowledge by helping new members find their way in this forum as you would in, any RV Park. Again, make sure to set up your USER CP as this is helpful to you and other members. Again if you enjoy or think of starting your own RV Blog you can do that here as well above on menu bar is BLOGS Enjoy and safe TRAVELS. You can also find RV PARKS above in CAMPGROUNDS.
van-gogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 08:14 AM   #23

Welcome to the forum, and hope you will be more comfortable with your next choice. My .02
-an education in this topic is not cheap. You can learn from the mistakes of others, but the knowledge sometimes is not applicable
-there is no such thing as a perfect RV. Buy one, learn from it and keep looking
-as someone who has not bought a new vehicle since 1987 used is a bit of a crapshoot. It might have the bugs ironed out or be something that the seller has given up on fixing.
-we have owned 4 RVs since the 80s, lost money on every one. One was back up for sale after ONE WEEKEND.

What do we have now? 2013 Evergreen 19 ERD bought last year after 3 years of looking. Small but big enough and very well built. Pull it with a 2004 silverado because it holds our toys and can be fixed by any shop any where.

Good luck, good camping!
TIME2CAMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 10:45 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0ldmanx9 View Post
With end of the year approaching, and large discounts, we thought about getting new. However, that would be a big stretch on out budget.
Buying new will not solve any of the issues you listed in your original post.

RV's break. Always have and always will. If that's a problem for you then you may not find anything that will satisfy your needs.
Old 11-02-2019, 09:08 AM   #25

Just remember that unhappy customers are more likely to post a complaint than happy customers to post a good review. Take those horror stories with a grain of salt and use common sense. It's not your first rodeo, so you will make a good choice! Get back on the road and have fun!
kevmarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 01:26 PM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The Ford V10 engine is virtually bulletproof. Yes, there were some problems with spitting out spark plugs and breaking off spark plugs during removal, but that was a long time ago, early 00's. Those problems were pretty much resolved by 2004.
Our 2005 Winnie C has 100,000 miles on it, burns virtually no oil, and has plenty of power. I changed out the spark plugs myself last Spring, good for another 100K. Yes, mileage is lousy 9.5 - 10 (not towing) but consider you're hauling a house down the road with and it doesn't look so bad.
Diesel fuel is consistently higher in price per gallon. Your mileage is better but the cost is greater. I think it's a wash as far as mileage and expense are concerned.
Metro areas can be tough to find someone willing to work on motorhomes. In cities, repair shops want to work on trucks only, it's their bread and butter. I think this is true whether it's a Ford V10 or an MB diesel. I do as much maintenance on our rig as I can myself. Oil changes are a breeze.
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 09:13 PM   #27

Damon Owners Club
In 2005 Ford upper the V10 hp/tq from 310/425 to 362/457.

In 2016 the V10 got a 6 speed tranny behind it, rated hp dropped but the engine is the same, just measured at a different rpm point with the new tranny.

For that reason alone I would look for a 2006+ V10 in a used MH.
bmcgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 09:32 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcgc View Post
In 2005 Ford upper the V10 hp/tq from 310/425 to 362/457.

In 2016 the V10 got a 6 speed tranny behind it, rated hp dropped but the engine is the same, just measured at a different rpm point with the new tranny.

For that reason alone I would look for a 2006+ V10 in a used MH.
Those higher figures are for a class A chassis, the Cs are the lower figures other then the 6 speed.

Tags
newbie, rust