Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2019, 07:28 AM   #1

Prospective Newbie Getting Frustrated

We are so frustrated! We sold our travel trailer, and truck last year. Now, we are getting the the travel bug again, but want to get a Motorhome, Class B, or C. It’s just the two of us and our dog.

At first we considered a used RV’s that have the MB diesel, thinking that the MB has an outstanding reputation of long lasting, and good mpg. Then we read all sorts of engine code problems, and then locating a dealer to fix it while on the road is a nightmare. So we switch to gas, and settled on the Ford V10, knowing that the gas milage is terrible, but at least repair shops are easy to find. Then we heard of horror stories with it.

On another side of our search is the manufacturer of the RV. I’m sure that all of you have heard of poor craftsmanship in almost every manufacturer from Winnebago, Thor, ForestRiver, and the list goes on, and on. We know that ALL will have things come loose, screws coming out, etc. Because driving down the road will shake things loose, or crack plastic moldings. That’s just part of RV’ing.

With end of the year approaching, and large discounts, we thought about getting new. However, that would be a big stretch on out budget. Buying new would limit our travel budget. So we would have a nice RV to look at, and dream about using it.

Sorry for the long post. Just venting, but also seeking some encouraging advice,
0ldmanx9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2019, 07:38 AM   #2

There are two quality levels of RV’s.

Level 1 - Cheap piece of junk.

Level 2 - Expensive piece of junk.

Go with the least expensive suitable for your taste. Don’t expect a new one to be pain free. We are shaking the frustrating 1st year bugs out of ours.
Old 08-21-2019, 07:44 AM   #3

There are lots of gently used RV's out there. Be prepared to look at many until you find the one that fits your needs and budget.
Old 08-21-2019, 08:07 AM   #4

I don't know what you heard about the V10, but its pretty tough. Ours is a 2012 with over 94000. Just basic maint. and I tow a 16 ft car trailer with either of 3 different vehicles. West, South and North. Mountains and flat lands. It gets between 7.5 and 9.5 to the gallon, but then its not an economy vehicle.
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 08:19 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
I don't know what you heard about the V10, but its pretty tough. Ours is a 2012 with over 94000. Just basic maint. and I tow a 16 ft car trailer with either of 3 different vehicles. West, South and North. Mountains and flat lands. It gets between 7.5 and 9.5 to the gallon, but then its not an economy vehicle.

Agree, we have an F53 with the V-10 and it's been great ('08). I'd ignore any "horror stories" you've heard. Also, don't put too much into thinking Winnebago is junk. That F-53 is a Winnebago and it's been great for 11 years. BUT, you're looking for a class B or C. I can tell you we've owned 2. Both were Fleetwoods and they were really good. Personally, I'd urge you to go with the C. You'll have more room, storage, etc. Don't get frustrated...as someone said here- there are some lightly used units out there at much better prices than new.
Old 08-21-2019, 08:43 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by puttin View Post
Agree, we have an F53 with the V-10 and it's been great ('08). I'd ignore any "horror stories" you've heard. Also, don't put too much into thinking Winnebago is junk. That F-53 is a Winnebago and it's been great for 11 years. BUT, you're looking for a class B or C. I can tell you we've owned 2. Both were Fleetwoods and they were really good. Personally, I'd urge you to go with the C. You'll have more room, storage, etc. Don't get frustrated...as someone said here- there are some lightly used units out there at much better prices than new.
We have a1999 Dutchstar. V10
runs great basic maint. New brakes, belts exhaust manafold bolts replaced new fridge airconditioning and generator. Most needed replacement from lack of use by first owner who kept it i a barn and used it once a yr to go down to Fl. We have it for 8 yrs with no real machinery problems. Total purchase price 16000. Paid cash no monthly payments. With all new items still way cheaper the 4 months of payments on new rv of equivalent size. We get 6.5 to 7.5 towing CRV. Just check maintenance records and a really
Thorough inspection by a good mechanic. [emoji374][emoji374][emoji374][emoji3]
Russ Silber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 08:44 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ Silber View Post
We have a1999 Dutchstar. V10
runs great basic maint. New brakes, belts exhaust manafold bolts replaced new fridge airconditioning and generator. Most needed replacement from lack of use by first owner who kept it i a barn and used it once a yr to go down to Fl. We have it for 8 yrs with no real machinery problems. Total purchase price 16000. Paid cash no monthly payments. With all new items still way cheaper the 4 months of payments on new rv of equivalent size. We get 6.5 to 7.5 towing CRV. Just check maintenance records and a really
Thorough inspection by a good mechanic. [emoji374][emoji374][emoji374][emoji3]
Call if you want to talk 321 999 4555. Melbourne Fl
Russ Silber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 09:09 AM   #8

You might look into Phoenix Cruisers. They sell direct from factory in Elkhart, IN. They take trade ins and refurbish them. I know two members have done that and are very satisfied.
mrboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 09:25 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
The Ford V10 and MB Sprinter are both widely used not just in RVs but also in commercial vans. They've been around in some form or another for something like 20 years, if not longer. Engines and platforms don't last that long if they're junk. Yeah, you might run into problems. But it's much better to have problems that are well-known and well-understood. That way, if or when they pop up, the fixes are both easy and proven. Much, much better than being a "beta tester" for a new design where you may literally be the only person in the world having a particular problem!

It's true that you won't necessarily be able to take them to a regular car dealership for repairs, but there are commercial service centers all over the country. I wouldn't let this hold you back either.

Build quality is what it is. It does actually get better, in my opinion, as you move up the pricing tiers. But more expensive RVs also include more complex gadgets, giving more opportunities for things to go wrong. There is definitely something to be said for getting the simplest RV you can live with. Not the direction I went in -- and I don't regret my decision at all -- but I can understand people who feel that way.
schad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 09:29 AM   #10

Choices

First, I would discount your "horror stories" about the outgoing 6.8 Ford V-10. The one I still hear is about them "throwing" spark plugs which was when the engine first came out. A long time ago now. Second, someone once said that one of the most important choices you can make is floor layout. I agree completely. Some of those Class C's are nice looking but most get quite tired and frustrated with the corner bed setup. I would also disagree with a Class C having more room. The cab areas are only good for one thing and that is driving in my opinion. The other issue with most Class C set ups is the lack of leg room for driving, especially in the passenger seat area. Lastly, there are some rigs out there that are much more prone to problems than others, you just have to look at the reviews and make your own decision.
Old 08-21-2019, 09:56 AM   #11
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
If I were in your situation I would buy a "gently used" MH, maybe 3-4 years old. Someone else will have taken the depreciation hit on a new unit and hopefully has gotten all the bugs out!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 10:07 AM   #12

What a great forum! I’m pleasantly surprised at all the responses in just a few hours of posting. Several of you have reassured our original research, and thoughts.
0ldmanx9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 10:29 AM   #13

Buying a motor home and the V10 engine

Traveling in a Motor home has many advantages. We just replace our Class C '98 Coachman Santara 292SO with a 2014 Class A Thor Ace 29.2 that was previously use. We got a great deal as we believe the dealer wanted to get it off his lot. It had a few issues that the dealer agreed to fix, some not so good and I had to redo the repairs. I agree with the others in buying a previously enjoyed unit. The bugs should be worked out.

I have had the V10 engine in both my motor homes and they are great engines. Never had an issue with it. I changed the oil every 5-8k miles. Take your time, know what features you want and the lay out that works best for you.
Good luck and happy camping.
mr1a2guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 02:17 PM   #14

KEEP LOOKING for a nice used one, there out there .we had finally decided we wanted a T/T so we started looking. we wanted to buy used so I searched Craig's list, local news papers, anything that had for sale items. search near by citys also. we shopped new dealers for used rv's and looked at new ones. after about 8 months we finally found a cherry one that had been stored inside most all of its life. it was older than what I wanted but the condition was unbelievable, it doesn't look like it was ever used. the floor lay out is good and it had the big slide I wanted. I'm real picky, you can do the same just keep looking. a friend of mine has an MB class C I believe and really likes it and has had no problems.
Jay D.
Jay D. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newbie, rust