Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-26-2022, 06:54 PM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
PSA Check Your Battery Connections !!!!

I'm just putting this as a reminder, especially if you are having any sort of "odd" issues with any electronics such as thermostats, or really anything electronic.

I don't need to go into the details, but after a few months of trouble-shooting a Furnace issue, I checked the battery and lo and behold, the ground side was not even finger tight. The positive side was ok, but not really snug enough for a reliable connection.

Just for a bit of context, on more modern RV's the 12 volt appliances and devices are running on 12 volts. If 120 AC is present, it's charging the battery, if the battery isn't present, it's putting out the 12 volt needed, but not necessarily a "clean" 12 volts. That was my issue. There was a little "ripple" as it's called coming through because of that loose ground and it was messing with the signal on the furnace motherboard.

I should have known better. Coming from the world of Motorcycles and Boats... pretty much any time anything hiccups... CHECK THE GROUND ON THE BATTERY 1st.. and a good 80% of the time, that's the issue.

Even modern cars suffer this. Engine mis-fires, one doesn't normally think "check the battery first" but after replacing two perfectly good plugs, the kind with the built in coils... I checked the battery and tada... loose ground.

Enjoy... I return you to your normally scheduled browsing.
Desdinova is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2022, 07:20 PM   #2

Good post.

When someone is having troubles, I always ask if the battery connections are clean and tight. Usually I get a weak "yes" but I always wonder if they actually do check them. They are so important.

Just call me Old Sparky
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Boy Outlet.JPG
Views:	25
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	354775  
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 07:27 PM   #3

When I went to remove my batteries the crimped on lug for the positive cable came off in my hand. [emoji3]
Old 01-26-2022, 07:52 PM   #4

Thumbs up

" It's away's the ground . " Look's good , is not going to do it with electric, taking them off and cleaning the connections will solve most problems.
deckape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 09:23 AM   #5

Good point! I had a similar issue during the summer this year. Could not figure out why my batteries could not make it through the night. Then I went to pull the batteries at my shop to do a CAP check on them and found one ground wire on one of the batteries not even finger tight. Torqued it down, charged them, have been doing great the rest of the year. I know better then to start looking at other things before checking the connections.
2Curtass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 11:42 AM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the heads-up!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 12:32 PM   #7

Talking about batteries, how often do you clean yours? I hose down both the 2 starting batteries and the 4 coach batteries everytime when we get back home.

Keeps the corrosion at bay.
Old 01-28-2022, 01:03 AM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
Talking about batteries, how often do you clean yours? I hose down both the 2 starting batteries and the 4 coach batteries everytime when we get back home.

Keeps the corrosion at bay.
Ummm. I'm gonna suggest maybe blow them with air. Water and electricity is never a good combo. And fwiw.. corrosion is caused by moisture, not dirt.
Desdinova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 05:08 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdinova View Post
Ummm. I'm gonna suggest maybe blow them with air. Water and electricity is never a good combo. And fwiw.. corrosion is caused by moisture, not dirt.

I sacrifice a couple moist microfiber towels and wipe them clean every 3 months and check the tightness of the connections at that time. Water levels get checked once a month.- Paul
Old 01-29-2022, 06:22 PM   #10

This is the procedure I have been using since the 1960's and my first or many motorcycles and cars.
https://www.usbattery.com/deep-cycle...he%20terminals.

Quote:
Keeping your battery and the terminals clean is a key maintenance procedure to getting the most performance from your deep cycle batteries. Corrosion occurs when acid from inside of the battery makes its way to the terminals and connectors on top of the battery. The acid attacks the battery terminals and connectors, which if left untreated can reduce or disconnect power to the vehicle. In addition, untreated corrosion can lead to arcing, where the electrical current jumps an air gap resulting in a spark. This arcing can melt terminals, damage connectors, or cause ignition of hydrogen gas emitted during charging.

Fortunately, battery terminal corrosion can be easily cleaned with a special solution that neutralizes battery acid. The solution can be made by mixing one tablespoon (15ml) of baking soda to every 1-cup (250ml) of hot water. Apply the solution to the corroded areas of the battery terminals and use a wire brush or toothbrush to gently clean off any additional residue on the terminals. Once the terminals and wiring are clean, rinse the area with water to rinse any remaining solution off the batteries. Use some paper towels to dry the area.

To slow down the corrosion process apply some corrosion prevention spray to the terminals to coat them. Make sure to check the terminals approximately every six months and clean as necessary. Be sure to use protective gloves and safety glasses to prevent injury and ensure all connections are safely removed from the batteries prior to cleaning.
Old 01-29-2022, 08:06 PM   #11

Agreed, check the battery ground. Then, if still having trouble check all the other battery and power connections. I found a loose battery negative clamp on my rig last fall. Earlier last spring I found a loose negative connection at the main power breaker terminal, which on my TT is located under the trailer, front corner. I had to crawl under my trailer in a snowstorm to fix that one. Now checking all those connections is a new item on my spring prep checklist.
Old 01-30-2022, 08:42 AM   #12

It’s like calling tech support for any electrical appliance. Question #1 Is it plugged in? Question #2 Is it turned on.
Dakotah is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery