Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2020, 06:46 PM   #1

PSA: Don't forget to bring your awning in, or at least lower it...

We were able to roll it back up, and it's covered by the aluminum fabric protection strip, so I could at least drive the 600 mi home without looking like a dumbass. We're out of practice, I guess. Oh well, something else that I get to learn how to fix.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200927_084212.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	490.7 KB
ID:	302582   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200927_084231.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	555.5 KB
ID:	302583  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200927_090307.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	494.9 KB
ID:	302584   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200927_090415.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	189.6 KB
ID:	302585  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2020, 10:07 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
ouch...My daughter did this on a new 30’ TT. Left it up and went home over night. Came back and it looked like yours....
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 10:34 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Sorry about that. I've seen too many awnings flipped over the top or ripped off after a storm went through a park. 20 years ago, when we had our 1st TT, we left it up when we went to bed. Woke up at 2AM to a heck of a racket when winds picked up due to an incoming storm. We jumped out of bed rushed outside & luckily were able to wrangle rolling it up even though it was acting like a sail holding onto the strap as it was trying to retract. Ever since, we never leave our awnings unattended. We retract the awnings when we leave or when we go to bed.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 10:34 PM   #4

So the ROLLER Tube broke into....??
Rain collecting or was it high winds??

Rain...keep one side lower then other side to you have a slight tilt and rain can run off vs pooling (rear support lower so rain runs away from sitting area etc)

Wind....surprised it didn't rip the arms/supports off side of RV

Suspect RAIN was cause.

We put awning up when leaving or at night time (water goes off also under same conditions)
We use pump exclusively so that just takes a flip of the switch. Awning takes few minutes but peace of mind is priceless
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 05:49 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
I was camping on the delta a few years back and a big wind kicked up and I saw that a neighbors awning was about to go. The awning was electric and no one was home so after conferring with another neighbor, I managed to open a window, went in and retracted the awning. We left the next morning and never saw the people but left a note and never heard anything more about it.
Old 09-28-2020, 11:50 AM   #6

Ouch!! I left mine out and a heavy rain moved in, guess I didn't have one end lowered enough and it took on 200+ gals of water. I released the lock on one end and wham, all that water came out. It bowed the tube a little and after some effort I was able to get most of that back out. A buddy of mine had to replace his tube and I think it was like $900.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 12:08 PM   #7

Wait till you see someone forget to roll it up and drive down the road. That was funny.

I was with someone on my early days. We had a popup at the time and the peeps we went with were experts. A storm was coming one of the nights and I asked if we should roll up awnings. He said no but I rolled mine up anyway. I sold that popup (I sure do miss it) with its awning intact. He....got a new awning a few days after that trip.
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 03:18 PM   #8

We were in a campground in Jacksonville, FL dealer pull in a new 5th wheel next to us. Owners show up around 5:00 pm. Awning goes out. We run around the next day doing things. Come back to the campground around 3:00. New owners are gone and the awning is ripped off the 5th wheel.
allenb12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 03:29 PM   #9

My rig supposedly has something that senses wind and will automatically retract the main awning when wind speeds exceed a certain threshold (I have no idea what that speed is). I would never rely solely on this, I would retract the awning at night or in wind or rain as everyone here has indicated. But I'd be interested in knowing, do these auto retract gizmos actually work? Thinking of it as a fail safe, say in case we fell asleep and forgot to bring the awning in, etc.
Old 09-28-2020, 03:45 PM   #10
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Wind sensors on awnings are hit & miss. Ours has rolled itself up with no breeze whatsoever. Other times, it's stayed out with as little as a 5-7mpg breeze that's made it bounce up & down a bit.

Personally, I would not rely on a wind sensor. Plus, a wind sensor does nothing if the awning fills with rain. It's not a rain sensor.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 04:14 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
So the ROLLER Tube broke into....??
Rain collecting or was it high winds??

Rain...keep one side lower then other side to you have a slight tilt and rain can run off vs pooling (rear support lower so rain runs away from sitting area etc)

Wind....surprised it didn't rip the arms/supports off side of RV

Suspect RAIN was cause.

We put awning up when leaving or at night time (water goes off also under same conditions)
We use pump exclusively so that just takes a flip of the switch. Awning takes few minutes but peace of mind is priceless
It was rain. A lot of rain. It's a 24' awning, so the tube is a lot longer, but the same diameter as a 14', so it didn't stand a chance.
Old 09-28-2020, 06:14 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimknoll View Post
It was rain. A lot of rain. It's a 24' awning, so the tube is a lot longer, but the same diameter as a 14', so it didn't stand a chance.
Lower the rear support arm so awning is tilted...then rain runs off vs pooling
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 07:45 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug427 View Post
My rig supposedly has something that senses wind and will automatically retract the main awning when wind speeds exceed a certain threshold (I have no idea what that speed is). I would never rely solely on this, I would retract the awning at night or in wind or rain as everyone here has indicated. But I'd be interested in knowing, do these auto retract gizmos actually work? Thinking of it as a fail safe, say in case we fell asleep and forgot to bring the awning in, etc.
Mine has that with low, medium and high, and I’ve tested it here at home and it works. I set it on low and a moderate breeze kicked up and in it came all by itself. Pretty cool feature.
Old 09-28-2020, 07:51 PM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Mine is automatic with wind sensors. I don’t trust the sensors and I don’t rely on them. I put the awning in anytime we leave the coach for anything longer than a campground walk. And anytime it is a little windy even when we are at the coach.

I have seen this to many times.

Good luck.
Sold 2017 Entegra Cornerstone B
RVFunlovers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning