Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-13-2022, 04:32 PM   #29

I have the 30amp version of this and that white light is a calling card just mocking people, take me, I dare you! :-)

I was reading another thread on a different forum and found out and confirmed on mine after. The portable one is identical for the most part to the hard wired one. It has lugs on the back allowing a bracket to be installed on it and mount it somewhere.

Since its designed to be updated if the EPO blows, this is why I got mine over other companies. It is 100% serviceable by the owner. Unscrew the locks on the main wires outside, then unscrew the back. Pop it off and you will find that its totally able to be wired directly in to what ever you want. Each wire is connected via a screw clamp. The green ground is just passed around the circuit logic.

Once my trailer returns from the shop I am doing this mod. There is usually space behind or near the power center and that is where I am putting mine. More than enough room there.

BTW the module with the yellow/orange caps is the replaceable EPO.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1706.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	345.0 KB
ID:	359113  
TomC_AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2022, 04:59 PM   #30

Hughes Watchdog hardwire

Does anyone make a similar item designed to be hardwired inside the RV? In my 5th wheel there's a cabinet that holds my power cable and it would be simple to mount one on the living area side of that cabinet in line with the power cable.
Firstfiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 06:45 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Stang View Post
If you put tape over the face you won't see it turn red when you have an error. You can still see the error code, just not as noticeable.
I think they really need to allow the owner to display just the error digits as an option. The digits could be red or white to help status indication. Since getting mine, it seems very conspicuous walking through the campground at night. Never thought about locking my previous unit. I guess the bicycle lock now goes on.....
Fawudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 08:05 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firstfiver View Post
Does anyone make a similar item designed to be hardwired inside the RV? In my 5th wheel there's a cabinet that holds my power cable and it would be simple to mount one on the living area side of that cabinet in line with the power cable.
I hard wired one in our 2021 Cougar in a blank panel under the pantry.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	225591654_4178628775517902_4169390306238881443_n.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	237.3 KB
ID:	359139   Click image for larger version

Name:	226114146_4178628958851217_3610484147175610299_n.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	359140  

Name:	223027074_4178628875517892_5571357867319832882_n.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	438.6 KB
ID:	359141   Click image for larger version

Name:	225483287_4178628828851230_5388989261141411482_n.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	369.2 KB
ID:	359142  

retiredin93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 09:55 PM   #33

Sorry about your loss...
I keep meaning to lock mine up, but still need to get a lock; hope this motivates me!
Old 03-14-2022, 12:07 PM   #34

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
My installation

The only thing stolen from me over the years was a tank dump valve handle and some wheel nut caps. My coach did not come with a resettable surge protector, just a one and done. I found room behind my power cord reel and installed a Progressive unit there. I carry a 50 amp extension cable so I cut two feet off of one end for the install and installed a new connector on the cut end of my extension cable. The surge protector install took around two hours as I recall.
Old 03-14-2022, 12:10 PM   #35

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
My install

The only thing stolen from me over the years was a tank dump valve handle and some wheel nut caps. My coach did not come with a resettable surge protector, just a one and done. I found room behind my power cord reel and installed a Progressive unit there. I carry a 50 amp extension cable so I cut two feet off of one end for the install and installed a new connector on the cut end of my extension cable. The surge protector install took around two hours as I recall.
Old 03-15-2022, 04:26 AM   #36

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firstfiver View Post

There are some similar products, but Hughes does make a hard-wired version of the Watchdog. I really like that now that I have the RVWhisper, I can check on the power of the rig from anywhere.
Desdinova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 04:57 AM   #37

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC_AZ View Post
I have the 30amp version of this and that white light is a calling card just mocking people, take me, I dare you! :-)

Once my trailer returns from the shop I am doing this mod. There is usually space behind or near the power center and that is where I am putting mine. More than enough room there.

BTW the module with the yellow/orange caps is the replaceable EPO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredin93 View Post
I hard wired one in our 2021 Cougar in a blank panel under the pantry.
I really wish I had extra space, but the 26RK Vibe doesn't have any space without a LOT of modification or having to run yards of wire around the rig. And frankly, I like that it's portable.

Also, I really do NOT think this unit is much of a risk at most RV parks. I mean seriously, it says "watchdog" clearly on it, and seems more like a security device itself. Maybe I'm being naive, but I like it that way.

This was different, as it was at my house and there is a little more to the story. Under normal circumstances, no one would see it and know that it's there, but.. there is a homeless person whom I've known for over 15 years and he helps out with yard work. He is a Navy VET so we have that in common and he is a stand-up guy, just has some issues and substance abuse isn't one of them. I hate to even have to say that, but hey, it's reality.

In any case, a few days before the theft another member of the "community" saw him and came over to him while he was working on my yard and when she left, I saw her on camera looking at the back of the trailer but didn't think anything of it. There are flowers, a dead boat, bunnies, birds, etc.. And yes, she could see the Watchdog too, and see that it wasn't locked to anything. Long story short, apparently it's a "thing" that if one member of the "community" starts to get a leg up, others try to sabotage it. He was devastated when he found out I had property stolen and he and his girlfriend have been looking for this other gal ever since.

In talking to Hughes and the Police, these are NOT hot items to resell. They have limited use by a limited group of people and they are easily identifiable and tracked by serial number. It was probably a nuisance theft as my friend described. Lifting something in hopes he'd get blamed for it so the perp could get a good laugh.

It would not surprise me at all if at some point he shows up holding the unit and there's a big bag on the back of his bicycle and he asks where he should bury the body.... and can he borrow a shovel.
Old 03-15-2022, 10:37 PM   #38

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triangle Drifter View Post
Just ordered one after having a Progressive Industries one for at least ten years which died late last season. Maybe put some tape over that dog face.
The Progressive Industries one comes with a lifetime warranty. That's the reason I bought theirs when I was looking. You should have called them when yours quit. I know a guy who has had his replaced twice.
Rev. Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 06:28 AM   #39

Tiffin Owners Club
I'm waiting for someone to put one the black cloth face masks (the style that some folks wore during the past few years) over the lighted dog face. I'm kind of kidding with that comment, so, probably, not a good idea, as that would draw even more attention to the device. And, folks might want to take selfie photos with it, to share with friends as something funny that they encountered?

My portable Watchdog has served me very well. I've encountered miswired 50amp pedestals at times. I have an old SurgeGuard model that I pull out and plug into a power box to check the power box, before I pull out the cord (I keep the Watchdog attached to the cord) and plug in. IF I think that I might be in a questionable area, I might just leave the cord, with the Watchdog attached, locked in the bay, and plug in my 50 amp extension cord to the Watchdog, and run the extension cord out to the power box. I haven't felt the need to do that....yet. I have the 50amp extension cord, but it, still, looks brand new. I've only used it 3 times since I bought it 10 years ago.

There's an automatic transfer switch/surge protector that is in the cord bay, but in researching it, it works well with high voltage, but not so well with low voltage (which I found was occurring in some places in New Mexico & Arizona, for some reason?).

There are a lot of, different, quality high/low (full) surge protection mentioned in different forum threads here. Many here push the Progressive Industries brand, and that's fine. To each their own...for their own reasons. Who knows? I may even end up trying that brand in the future, but these days, I'm very happy with what I have, and the choices that I've made. They suit my needs. So far, this is what's been working well for me HERE
TomsMaHauL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 05:55 PM   #40

Vintage RV Owners Club
Been meaning to post a pic.

While at a campground I'll likely just use a cable as it's really low risk I think based on where we stay, this is what I have when it's in the drive.

Sure, they could unplug and cut the wire, but they aren't getting it in one piece easily and they would be on camera the whole time.

A bicycle cable lock is essentially worthless as any self respecting thief has a nice pair of bolt cutters in thier backpack.

Also, note, I have the dimming shield on and it's really hard to tell it's on. Even at night it's barely noticeable until it goes red. I agree, they should be built this way.
Old 05-27-2022, 07:49 AM   #41

Follow Up...

We used our Hughes 30 amp for the first time last weekend.
I haven't picked up a lock yet, so I used an extension cord and set the Hughes under the TT so it was out of sight.

The moment I plugged it in and turned on the breaker I got an E9 error, saying the surge protection was used up
Guess I'll be making a warranty claim...
Old 05-27-2022, 08:51 AM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Ther is always the chance of some scum-bay wandering by and deciding to take what is not his. I keep everything of value cabled locked down. At least they will have to work to get it.

A few months ago, some low-life tried to seal the tailgate off my truck. I have the hinge on it locked, so they did not get it, but punched the tailgate lock.

As for a Watch Dog, we have the hard wired Progressive Ind EMS, so it is out of sight,

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dog