Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-05-2022, 05:31 PM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
PSA: Lock your Hughes Watchdog

Just a PSA. Lock your Hughes Watchdog. Be it with a little cable like the one they sell or a bicycle lock to your frame or the power pole, Lock IT !!!

Our's was on the back of our RV. It's there because the RV is plugged into a heavy shore power extension. Someone who cut through our yard took notice of it, and a few days later, it was gone. It's embarrassing because I didn't even think about it. Had it had a lock, they would have had to struggle to get it off which would have put them in view of the security camera. But, as all they needed to do was unplug it and go, they must have come up on the blind side o the rig, and just reached around and unplugged it. It's my fault. The Camera wasn't pointing directly at it, and, well it wasn't locked.

Yes, if someone really wanted it, they could cut the lock, or cut the cable (likely lighting themselves up and ruining the unit) but there it was, with it's big doggy face saying take me, take me.

As I mention above. Just a PSA. It has the ability to lock it easy enough.
Desdinova is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2022, 06:01 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
The fault is with the scumbag who took it.
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 08:40 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
I hate that happened to you. I'm not surprised, though. I've met a few RVers who, recently, have started up their motorhomes, and were quickly surprised to discover that their catalytic converters were stolen.
TomsMaHauL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 09:56 PM   #4

I would replace it with the permanently installed unit. It’s an easy install for anyone with basic wiring knowledge.
Wacdmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 07:05 PM   #5

Nor'easters Club
Entegra Owners Club
I lock mine and cover it with a dark plastic bag as it's very bright as night. Sorry to hear that this happened. People will steal anything they can..
Old 03-07-2022, 07:02 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wacdmc View Post
I would replace it with the permanently installed unit. It’s an easy install for anyone with basic wiring knowledge.
Agree. Someone who really wants to steal it would just come back with bolt cutters.

I have no idea why Hughes decided to light up the unit the way they do. A coupled of small LED's would have been enough.
Free advertising????
glwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 07:10 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonandDeb View Post
I lock mine and cover it with a dark plastic bag as it's very bright as night. Sorry to hear that this happened. People will steal anything they can..
The face being so bright is about the only thing I don't like about mine. They should have put a dimmer on it so you could turn down the brightness.

I cut my cord in the bay and installed connectors. Now I leave it hooked up in the bay. Locked up and out of site, even with the brightly let dog face.
69Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 07:45 AM   #8

Thanks for the PSA
I just bought a 30 amp Hughes, but haven't used it yet. I plan to buy a lock and print a heavy sticker/label to cover the dog face on front. Hopefully that helps...
Old 03-07-2022, 09:47 AM   #9

Just ordered one after having a Progressive Industries one for at least ten years which died late last season. Maybe put some tape over that dog face.
Triangle Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 11:04 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triangle Drifter View Post
Just ordered one after having a Progressive Industries one for at least ten years which died late last season. Maybe put some tape over that dog face.
If you put tape over the face you won't see it turn red when you have an error. You can still see the error code, just not as noticeable.
69Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 11:08 AM   #11

If permanent install in the bay is difficult - turning your shore cable into an extension cord is as easy as a couple connectors. I have mine inside my electric bay as well - and nobody needs to know it is there but me.
Old 03-07-2022, 11:30 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
That is one of the reasons why we got a progressive system and had it mounted in the electric bay with remote monitor in the cab of the coach.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 11:59 AM   #13

We've not had a problem so far. At home our coach is behind a locked gate so no one is going to be casually walking thru our yard. We've only had our coach since April of 2021, but no problems on any of the trips. We have bought a cable lock we will use when we go out this year. I doubt most people in campgrounds or RV parks carry tools to cut thru a cable, but anything is possible.
Donskiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 10:35 PM   #14

Vintage RV Owners Club
Just for followup.

I actually did order the wired version, but there really isn't a decent place to put it so I returned it for another portable. As I mentioned, had it been locked like the new one is with a regular bike lock they would have had to spend some time, make noise, and the perps would have been on camera. I guess I'll hide this little confession that I have two cameras on the area that didn't quite overlap. There was a blind spot, right on the Watchdog. That has been fixed. However, even with the bad camera angle, if they couldn't just "unplug it and walk" I would have had them, and they would have been on their way upriver which is our version of the TV show Yellowstone train station, only ours is real and well known to the local over the years.

As far as the glowing dog... they actually sell a tinted mylar sheet that really really dims the dog. Basically in daylight, you'd only see it was lit if it was red, and at night, it's very dim. I highly recommend it.
Desdinova is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dog