Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-31-2018, 06:41 PM   #253
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Even with treatment, the conditions you listed can attack at any time with treatment and medication. So the information is "What can you do if it happens?" It's been covered pretty good.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2018, 07:27 PM   #254
tcg

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjopickin1 View Post
Joe, I see that you have more "informed answers" than you could have ever dreamed of. LOL

The question was: If we pull the parking brake at 60 MPH, what could we expect to happen?
Answer (as others have already said): You could expect to come to a controlled stop. You can expect it to take longer to stop than you would think. At least in our case.

I love this forum! Tons of knowledge and wonderful suggestions.
Yes, if you're traveling at 60mph, have both hands on the steering wheel, traveling in a straight line, and not slumped over, pulling the parking will bring you to a controlled stop providing you have control to begin with.

We were coming back from a trip today in our Class C, just for fun on a 2 lane 55mph 2 highway, I took my hands off the wheel (no other traffic around) I crossed the line and was into oncoming traffic in 3 seconds. Having my wife unbuckle and attempt to get it back in the correct lane while moving me to get at the brake would have resulted in her going through the windshield as we struck another vehicle or tree. That's a great plan.

So yes pulling the brake in a controlled situation makes sense but in the real world not so much.
tcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 08:22 PM   #255

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcg View Post
Yes, if you're traveling at 60mph, have both hands on the steering wheel, traveling in a straight line, and not slumped over, pulling the parking will bring you to a controlled stop providing you have control to begin with.

We were coming back from a trip today in our Class C, just for fun on a 2 lane 55mph 2 highway, I took my hands off the wheel (no other traffic around) I crossed the line and was into oncoming traffic in 3 seconds. Having my wife unbuckle and attempt to get it back in the correct lane while moving me to get at the brake would have resulted in her going through the windshield as we struck another vehicle or tree. That's a great plan.

So yes pulling the brake in a controlled situation makes sense but in the real world not so much.
Try it in a diesel pusher with air brakes.

No!! Wait!! Don't do it!!
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 08:42 AM   #256
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:

You need a front end alignment! If the front end is properly aligned it should very slowly start drifting to the right, NEVER to the left!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 09:39 AM   #257

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
As I stated earlier, this was just a "what if" scenario! Perhaps others that do have heart problems have learned something.

Luuucccyyyyy! What did you doooo?
Old 08-01-2018, 10:46 AM   #258

Thor Owners Club
From what I have been told from Freightliner, the air brake can be pulled at any speed. Air leaves the system gradually and stops the vehicle. I also believe this procedure is located in the chassis manual.
rem2648 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 11:05 AM   #259
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rem2648 View Post
From what I have been told from Freightliner, the air brake can be pulled at any speed. Air leaves the system gradually and stops the vehicle. I also believe this procedure is located in the chassis manual.

Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Thanks for your comments!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 10:17 AM   #260

Quote:
If my child came home and told me our bus driver explained to us what to do if he slumped over the wheel, Johnny is supposed to move him out of the way, Suzy is supposed to pull the brake, and Mikey is supposed to steer the bus off the road, there would definitely be a call to the superintendent of transportation.
Sorry but I did not say anything about each child having a different duty. These were general instructions in case of an EMERGENCY, God forbid. I personally would rather have Johnny, Suzie and Mike come home than maybe not! Our Superintendent would support my instructions.
Moabut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 10:42 AM   #261

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moabut View Post
Sorry but I did not say anything about each child having a different duty. These were general instructions in case of an EMERGENCY, God forbid. I personally would rather have Johnny, Suzie and Mike come home than maybe not! Our Superintendent would support my instructions.
Illustration...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bus.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	213593  
Moabut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 05:30 AM   #262

I believe it happened already, .....school bus driver incapacitated and a student taking over the steering wheel. I'm curious,.... I'll Google it.
Yes, it did happen. Google it
Cloud Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake