Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2015, 09:05 AM   #1

Purchasing a new Fifth Wheel or Toy Hauler and need Advice

So we are in the market to purchase a new RV. I have a 2008 Ford F-350 to pull the unit around so I am not to worried about towing issues.

We are planning on living in the RV for two years while our youngest graduates High School and enters College. Most of the time we will three of us living in the RV, we do have a 17 son that will stay with us for 10 or 11 days out of the month. I also travel often for work, so I will not be living in the RV for 10 to 15 days out of the month.

We have two RV parks in the northern Atlanta area pick out and have or names on the waiting list. After the two years we will either keep the RV and move it up to our land in Tenn. or sale it.

So we have really been doing our home work, it is kinda overwhelming with the different manufactures and models. We have really narrowed the field down to Toy Haulers due to the size. We will use the garage area as my daughters bed room and let my son stay in the loft above the kitchen area.

I really like the Tesla and DRV models but they are over our budget. We would like to stay around $70K to $75K if possible. So we are down to three models, Cyclone 4200, XLR Thunderbolt new 420AMP and the Voltage 3970. Looks like both the Cyclone and Voltage is owned by Thor companies then the XLR is owned by Forest River.

After conducting multiple reviews on all of the products there are pro's and con's on all of them. It looks like we really need to also vent the RV dealers to make sure they will provide great service. It looks like the Cyclone and the XLR has been around for a longer amount of time, while the Voltage is fairly new and may not have all of the start up issues worked out. But I do like the 3rd AC unit the Voltage offers. I have read many reviews where 2 AC units just do not provide good coverage in the garage area of the RV.

I am looking to see if I can find some good advice from you guys.

Thanks,
Mark
mark42h is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2015, 09:17 AM   #2

I would also at least take a look at Northwood's Desert Fox line. Northwood Manufacturing: Desert Fox
They make their own frames from welded steel beams in their factory, no cheesy outsources stamped steel frames and are really tough. Not real fancy though, just well built. Not sure where you are located, dealers are hard to find the further you get from the PNW. They are a very good value for the price. Also keep in mind that when shopping, the dealer markups are huge on all brands so don't be afraid to offer 25%-30% below their "sticker" price.
road dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 09:03 PM   #3

You might also check out the Forest River Cherokee Vengeance Touring Edition. It comes standard with all the bells and whistles you have to pay extra for in the Voltage, Cyclone and XLR, like heated, enclosed tanks, multiple AC units, and the 3-season door and awning for the back patio. It should be right in your target price range.

Mrs. M

Tags
advice