Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-21-2014, 04:38 PM   #1

Purchasing new RV with take it or leave it pricing

How are new buyers finding dealer pricing?
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2014, 04:42 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
The economy is good so RV's are selling. And certain models are selling faster than they can be made. That can make for a sellers market. For example, the Thor ACE had an introductory price of 69,995 a few years ago. Now they go from the upper 80's to over 100K. That's because it's a popular model.
Old 11-21-2014, 04:52 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Shop around. Two of my three new RV purchases were bought at dealers 1-1/2 to 2-1/2 hours away after the local dealers would not budge. My first purchase the salesman actually said "Take it or leave it, You'll will be back because I have what you want". Sorry...Did a Yahoo search on what I wanted and found a dealer carrying the brand I wanted. Calling the dealer I said quote me a price to get me to drive 90 miles to buy from you. 5 minutes later was quoted a price I was more than happy to drive over the next day to put down a deposit.

The first RV was only a pop-up, but the out of town dealer was $1800 less. My last RV purchase (2013 hybrid) the out of town dealer was almost $9,000 cheaper. $ $ $ take that to the bank. Use the web to your advantage...
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 05:00 PM   #4

I have found it to be a take it or leave it.
swampdog2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 05:40 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by swampdog View Post
I have found it to be a take it or leave it.
Interesting...I read of many more instances of people getting a considerable discount from MSRP than those that don't.
Old 11-21-2014, 05:49 PM   #6

I'm a new buyer, but not a "new motorhome" buyer which is what I think you meant. I can afford to buy new, but I don't see the point, at least with the large number of quality used diesel pushers available for half the price, where the engine is not even broken in yet.

Many new motorhomes go through vicious breaking in pains that I can do without. Plus I like the idea of making a few significant mods to personalize the motorhome.

I love the idea of there being a seller's market for the new and the mfg producing lots of motorhomes...just roll them down to guys like me after a half dozen two-week trips in as many years. A couple years ago I purchased a 10 year old Mercedes for 10k that sold for 80k new, with 10,000 miles on it sitting in a garage...so sweet.
RodgerS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 10:40 PM   #7

One friend just closed on a new 2014 Tiffin Phaeton list 302k for 200k w/5 yr warranty. Another friend, a CW RV salesman, said this is a great time to buy a leftover. When the unit has been on the lot for 1 yr, the dealer has to pay off the floorplan (loan) he has with his bank on that rig. Dec is their slowest month and of course buy at the end of the month to help them meet their goal. Buying a late model used is risky as you don't know why they traded - maybe troublesome unit (a real curse). If you want a used, be sure you can speak to the former owner and get all records.
Rusty years is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 11:10 PM   #8

Although I think the dealers are still discounting MH's, two years ago we were just coming out of the recession and the banks still had alot of repossesions in their possession. You could go to the auctions and pickup a used MH for a steal at the time. I went several times with my brother in law and could not believe some of the units he was picking up for his business. He was making a decent profit, and still selling them at a great deal for the buyer. One of the reasons, not always, for the low mileage was that for a few years people were struggling and really couldn't afford to use their MH's, or boats, cars, vacation homes ect. like they can afford to today. The dealers then had to sell MH's at a reduced price, while the service departments helped to keep them in business.

Flash forward to today and I'm sure those deals that RogerS got on the Mercedes a few years ago are few and far between today. Same as the deals buyers were getting two years ago are not as good, people are now selling their used MH's for a higher price , just like the dealers who can't keep new MH's in stock and can sell them at a higher price. I think there are still some good deals out there at this time of the year, you just have to work a little harder to get them and be willing to buy out of your local area if you have to.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 04:56 AM   #9
paz

The economy is finally starting to rebound, and RV sales are picking up. We were recently shopping for a new 5th wheel, and many of the dealers we talked to said delivery times were growing longer and longer.

Some dealers we talked to (especially one larger one) had a take it or leave it attitude. They weren't willing to budge on their price even when presented with a much lower quote on the exact same unit from a competitor. Other dealers we talked to were willing to bargain, but I don't feel prices now are generally as good as they were a year ago.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 05:01 AM   #10
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJSteinmetz View Post
Interesting...I read of many more instances of people getting a considerable discount from MSRP than those that don't.
I think it depends on the area of the country, the dealer and the RV. IMO, the market for lower-priced weekender RVs is more competitive than that for high end units, so dealers selling entry-level models will try to make their money on volume and may tend to discount a little more.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 05:26 AM   #11

In our process of looking for a slighter bigger motorhome we have set our mind to give the dealers the "take it or leave it" attitude. Yes we would love to have a new bigger motorhome, but only if we get a great deal. If not we will keep enjoying what we have right now and if something great pops up we will get it then.

Our trip to the Tampa RV Supershow will give us contacts with more dealers and brands to look at.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 06:22 AM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I believe the "Take it or leave it attitude" is aimed more at lower end units or pulled units. There still seem to be less buyers for the mid range MHs.

I still believe newer used units offer better value. The appreciation has already taken place on these slightly used units.
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 06:55 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Purchasing new RV with take it or leave it pricing

I agree, shop around. We had two dealers give us a 'Take or Leave It', and a third gave us a very sweet deal, a choice from two units about 40k lower than the first two. We were from Washington at the time and bought in NC. That said, even though they were not then nor now a local dealer to us, we were repeat customers for that third dealer, which made the whole experience easier and made for a better price, coupled with an earlier post from above, which was the unit though brand new was on their lot just short of 7 months - they wanted to move it.

Chris & Deb - North Venice, FL - 2014 Itasca Ellipse 42QD - Toad: 2014 Jeep Rubicon
ChrisKW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 07:20 AM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
When they say "Take it or leave it".. Show them your backside, walking out the door.