Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-03-2021, 01:43 PM   #1

Purchasing Procedure

I am going to purchase a used Class C from a private seller in Orlando. However I live in Ocala 75 miles away. I will give him a check and if he choses we can go to a branch of my bank in Orlando where he can cash it. He will sign over the Title and Registration. In Florida he has to remove the license plates as they stay with the Seller. I will need to call my State Farm office and put immediate insurance on it. However, since I am supposed to transfer the Registration and Title into my name in the Ocala office how does one keep it legal from Orlando to Ocala?

Thanks for any and all assistance provided.

Floridastorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2021, 02:52 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Call your DPS or DOT and see if you can get a "trip Tag" pr such to get the rig home.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 04:16 PM   #3

Why can't you go to the Orlando office? I can't imagine the essentials of Florida's DMV is a lot different than any other state. Terminals all hooked to the same main frame with the same info available to every office.
Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 07:18 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argosy View Post
Why can't you go to the Orlando office? I can't imagine the essentials of Florida's DMV is a lot different than any other state. Terminals all hooked to the same main frame with the same info available to every office.
Some states require you register your vehicle in the county you reside. I don’t know if Florida does.

In Iowa if you buy a vehicle from a resident of say Wright county, but live in Floyd county, you take the Wright county plates in and tun them in and get Floyd county plates. If there was any unused time left on the old plates, the state mails a refund to the previous owner and you pay an entire year for your new plates.

Minnesota, you just take the title in to any deputy registrar and transfer the title. The plates stay with the car and the renewal date stays the same. If it’s within 60 days you have to pay for the next year’s registration.

Every state seems to be a little different.
amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 07:22 PM   #5

In Washington state I would get a 30 day trip permit.
Old 12-04-2021, 07:29 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Call your DPS or DOT and see if you can get a "trip Tag" pr such to get the rig home.

Ken
You are correct;

The buyer may purchase a temporary tag at a motor vehicle service center that will be valid for 30 days so that they may legally drive the vehicle to that state. The buyer must pay Florida sales tax when purchasing the temporary tag.

Thanks Again
Old 12-04-2021, 07:33 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

He can transfer the title and get a new (or transfer) registration tag at any Florida DMV office, so that's the easiest way. I've done it a couple times, both buying & selling.

Or the previous owner could let you borrow his tag for the drive home and you could mail the plate back after you get your own title & tag. It's a bit of a gray area, but it is commonly done in this kind of situation.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 07:34 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by amosnandy View Post
Some states require you register your vehicle in the county you reside. I don’t know if Florida does.

In Iowa if you buy a vehicle from a resident of say Wright county, but live in Floyd county, you take the Wright county plates in and tun them in and get Floyd county plates. If there was any unused time left on the old plates, the state mails a refund to the previous owner and you pay an entire year for your new plates.

Minnesota, you just take the title in to any deputy registrar and transfer the title. The plates stay with the car and the renewal date stays the same. If it’s within 60 days you have to pay for the next year’s registration.

Every state seems to be a little different.

Marion County (Ocala, Fl) does require registration and title transfer to occur only in Marion County to be legal. You would think that the DMV is able to do this in any office in Florida since it's a state transaction. Oh well, it's the government we're talking about.
Old 12-04-2021, 07:36 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
He can transfer the title and get a new (or transfer) registration tag at any Florida DMV office, so that's the easiest way. I've done it a couple times, both buying & selling.

Or the previous owner could let you borrow his tag for the drive home and you could mail the plate back after you get your own title & tag. It's a bit of a gray area, but it is commonly done in this kind of situation.
IAW Florida law the plates have to remain with the seller after the purchase.
Old 12-04-2021, 07:37 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryH001 View Post
In Washington state I would get a 30 day trip permit.
Also available in Florida. Something I was not aware of. Thanks.
Old 12-04-2021, 09:17 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridastorm View Post
I... I will give him a check and if he choses we can go to a branch of my bank in Orlando where he can cash it. ...
Your branch bank will probably refuse to cash the check for him. He must deposit in his bank and wait days for confirmed transfer.

Call your bank and ask for the best way to pay him. For large amounts of money it takes expert advice.

The Fed's rule, literally. Large cash transfers are implied drug deals. They can take your cash and never return it.

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 09:21 AM   #12

As both buyer and seller of high ticket items, a WIRE TRANSFER from buyer to seller is the way to go.

Seller contacts his bank with instructions. Buyer takes that info to his bank and they wire the money. Usually under a couple of hours. Fast and safe.
Old 12-04-2021, 02:43 PM   #13

You can investigate this yourself, but I believe in Florida you can drive to your home without the tags. The bill of sale is the proof it's not stolen.
But if you have to register it immediately, it should only take a few minutes. This is MY experience in Florida in my county (Pasco). They are very efficient.
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 05:52 AM   #14

We have transfered registration several times in the county where the vehicle was purchased. Twice in Brevard and once in Hillsborough. That county sends the renewal notice to you when due and you can either pay them by mail or visit your local office to pay.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote