Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-09-2015, 09:31 AM   #43

Congratulations!! __________________
Pete1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2015, 09:47 AM   #44

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenW View Post
Regarding healthcare, I researched this for at over a year and ended up enrolling thru Healthcare.gov. We do not qualify for subsidies and ended up with a Florida BlueOptions EPO/PPO plan that costs $1,900/month for both of us. We could have never retired with private health insurance that covered the DW's health issues without the Affordable Care Act requiring coverage of pre-existing conditions. I am no fan of the politics involved in creating the ACA, but have to reluctantly admit that it solved a big problem for us.

Didn't mean to turn this into a healthcare thread, but thought the info could be useful to others.

Steve
Thanks, Steve! $1,900/month? How can anyone (unless you're Bill Gates) afford that?! I tip my hat to you, sir!
ArmandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 09:56 AM   #45

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sounds like a plan. Congrats and hope you have many years ahead to travel and enjoy life.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 10:04 AM   #46

Ford Super Duty Owner
Nobody mentioned this so I will. Retirement does take some adjustment time. When you've been on the merry go round for 30 or 40 year and suddenly step off it is a BIG, BIG change. You've gone from a routine of scheduled chaos to nothing. Instead of THEM in charge you are. It's different and does require a period of adjustment but it's a pleasant adjustment.

Knew a Teacher who retired and then took up full time substitute teaching. She lost pay and was at the same school almost every day. I talked to her once and found out that she never had any hobbies or activities that filled her off time when she did work. That transferred over into her retirement as well. If or when you have nothing to occupy your time retirement may not be as expected. From what you've told us that won't be an issue but it still does require some period of adjustment but it's nice.

Retirement isn't really about traveling. We do but at our choice. It isn't about going on vacations. We are always on vacation. Retirement is an every day adventure making decisions/choices and doing what you/her want to do instead of what they want/need you to do.

Enjoy your new Adventure!!!

TeJay
Old 11-09-2015, 10:10 AM   #47

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Good point Tim. I once heard this same information summarized as "retire TO something not FROM something".
Old 11-09-2015, 10:34 AM   #48

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenW View Post
I was told by many that I would know when the time was right and that has proved true.
My problem is that I KNOW my time is right, but I can't afford to go yet!
MJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 11:33 AM   #49

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Im 58, looking to work a few more years. need to pay off new 3500HD and toyhauler, then retire.
kcmusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 02:06 PM   #50

TeJay makes a great point about getting off the merry go round. Like many of us, I had to finish every home project, yard work, sailboat maintenance, family events, etc., by Sunday evening and hit the road/flight or be able to leave on a moments notice anytime during the week. So I found myself rushing thru multiple projects this Saturday as usual. My wife brought me a huge Mai-Tai after I finished cleaning the pool and reminded me that now this stuff can wait...I did notice that the drink didn't show up until all the chores were done Not a word from the office today
StephenW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 08:05 AM   #51

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
After just turning 56 I am ready financially but not sure about mentally. I think about retirement every day, but I am ready to transition into the next phase of my life. It will probably take me 2-5 years to sell the business and hopefully during this period will confirm that mentally I am ready?
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 08:18 AM   #52

Entegra Owners Club
Folks I know that owned their own business prior to making the jump seem to be the most financially prepared; that said, many times, it is difficult initially for them to separate from that day to day pace (probably the same for all of us). Then after about a year, and with few financial issues, they get used to activities that they always wanted to do but didn't have the time...and they love it.

Bottom line, you'll know when it is time. JMHO
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 02:13 PM   #53

May I add my congratulations ..... I have been retired for 5 years, 40 years in insurance claims, worked from home "resident". It took 2 years to clean out paper, etc. Also about 2 years for not glancing in the office as I passed down the hallway to see if answering machine was blinking.

You will enjoy the piece and quiet.
CCFROMFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 08:56 PM   #54

Well done!

I got so sick of travel, mainly to the Islamic world, that I requested a less taxing assignment with no overseas travel. Refused without comment and business class travel was eliminated the same week, so I tendered my retirement a week later, about 3 weeks before my 58th birthday. No way was I going to do 27 hour flights on two airlines to get to the Middle East in the back of the bus!

Sure, money's a bit tight after 16 years, even after working as a transit coach driver for a while, but it sure beats that old rat-race.
Old 12-10-2015, 07:04 AM   #55

Tiffin Owners Club
Congratulations!
ABSwift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 07:14 AM   #56

Monaco Owners Club
I am GEL-US !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

congrats