Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-03-2014, 09:37 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

I think ronjhall is comparing radiant vs convection rather tan quartz vs ceramic (see previous explanations by pasdad1). All ceramic heaters are radiant types, while quartz can be radiant or convection. The most commonly available quartz heaters have a fan and are convection heaters, and all convection heaters heat up items and warm the air around them.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2014, 11:34 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
I think ronjhall is comparing radiant vs convection rather tan quartz vs ceramic (see previous explanations by pasdad1). All ceramic heaters are radiant types, while quartz can be radiant or convection. The most commonly available quartz heaters have a fan and are convection heaters, and all convection heaters heat up items and warm the air around them.
I have not owned a radiant heater. Other than oil filled. When shopping at a big box store you will find both Ceramic and Quartz heaters on the shelf. Some have fans some do not.
Old 02-03-2014, 12:08 PM   #17

Whatever you decide I recommend getting one with a tip over switch built in.
Caveman CBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 02:07 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan&Jacquie View Post
Bout to purchase two heaters to,offset our propane consumption. Can't decide which is best, quartz or ceramic. Would appreciate your recommendations. Which are quieter, most efficient, etc.
Stan&Jacquie
All electric heaters are nearly 100% efficient because all electric heating elements, (no matter what type, quartz, ceramic or wire), are 100% efficient.
Any 1500 watt, 120V, space heater, (whether it costs $30 or $15O), will produce 5115 BTU of heat....but ONLY IF it actually draws 1500 amps.

Some "so called 1500 watt heaters" actually draw far less watts than their description implies/suggests, (and therefore produce far less heat).

To make sure it is capable of delivering near the 5115 BTUs possible, I use a Kill-a-Watt meter to measure the draw of any electric heater before I buy it.
I have found that many "so called 1500 watt heaters", (even identical models by the same "reputable" manufacturer), draw as few as 700 watts, (which means they only produce 2388 BTU).... and as many as 1475 watts, (5032 BTU).

Don't believe the advertising hype!
If you do you may not get what you thought you paid for.

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 06:43 PM   #19

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Two differences between Quartz and Ceramic,, Cost and Size.
Quartz is generally higher in cost and larger in size.

Some advertisers make claims of higher effiency,,, Both are exactly 100% efficient, WHY, because all losses are heat.. Even the energy used to turn the fan and blow air is heat, 100% heat, in the end, Any light given off, is absorbed by things and becomes heat, it's all heat, and thus an electric heater is 100% efficient, can't be more, can't be less.
Old 02-05-2014, 06:10 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Some advertisers make claims of higher effiency,,, Both are exactly 100% efficient, WHY, because all losses are heat.. Even the energy used to turn the fan and blow air is heat, 100% heat, in the end,
If I read that correctly then you're saying some heaters are actually then MORE than 100% efficient.

If I get work, the fan moving air, PLUS. 100% of the electricity used as heat then the unit is actually MORE than 100% efficient.

That's why I earlier said "nearly 100% efficient", if there is work being performed, there are some losses, albeit probably nothing in relation to a 1,500 watt heating element.
Old 02-05-2014, 08:30 AM   #21

I use two ceramic heaters to supplement the heating system. I prefer the ones with digital temperature controls. I find they will maintain the temperature but have difficulty raising the temperature. I have a delonghi in the front room and a Pelonis in the bedroom. I prefer the Pelonis because it is smaller but not enough to spend money on another one. This is not the one but it is close

Amazon.com - Pelonis Dual Digital Oscillating Heater/Fan
Old 02-08-2014, 09:40 AM   #22

Neither

Infrared heat is safest and best. Mine has 6 elements and will heat my 40' motorhome in short order, and hold an even temp you can set with a remote. You can use 4 or 6 elements 6 is 1500 watts or you can use 4 elements and cut it almost in half with same heat level or another level where it will hold 68 degrees all thermostatically controled. You can set it at whatever you want at night like I keep at 55 at night then switch to 68 in the morning. It will shut off when over 68 or set it at 72 or warmer if you wish. It has wheels so you can roll it from room to room or point it down the hall when you shower if you wish.

Deluxe Infrared Space Heater - JNH Lifestyles
Old 02-08-2014, 09:52 AM   #23
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfer View Post
Infrared heat is safest and best. Deluxe Infrared Space Heater - JNH Lifestyles
The big box makes it very stable and not likely to tip over, and the digital controls are nice, but I wish the marketing hype about these heaters would stop. NO infrared light escapes the box (except for the faint glow) so these are not really infrared heaters. They are convection (fan forced) heaters which heat the air......same as any other fan forced electric heater would.

Once the marketing hype goes away (probably in the year 2021. :-) ) the prices will start to reflect what they really are. If price is taken out of the equation, then yes I agree I would buy one as they look nicer and are safer than the little "cube" heaters.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 09:18 PM   #24

Price is dropping

The 1200sq ft heaters were on sale before christmas around the 70 dollar mark. I bought one for myself and one for my son that is good for 2,000 sq ft area with 6 tubes regularly around 175 for 135.00 each. They will heat rooms very fast and are pretty safe. They do have a tip over switch and you can stand right in front of them without getting burnt. Safer for pets as well. Mine is about 18" square cube with wheels. I can push it up against a wall as the only heat comes out the front. sides are cool too. They can run a power bill up at 1500 watts. But safety factor is worth it to me.
Old 02-09-2014, 08:51 AM   #25

•Plug-in 120V heaters are limited to 1,500 watts, or 5,120 BTUs per hour of heat!
It's a scientific fact that 1500watts IN equals 5120 BTU OUT

Therefore any 1500 watt electric heater, (no matter what it cost.... if it's Quartz or Ceramic....what it looks like.... how many sq. ft. the advertizing hype says it will heat... or what you believe), will produce only 5120 BTU of heat.
See: Town of Middleton - Why Electric Heaters Won't Slash Bills

BTW, the BTUs necessary to heat a particular space varies.....
depending upon the cubic feet, (NOT the square feet), of the space... the heat loss of the space, (how well it is insulated).... and the rise in temperature you are trying to achieve in that space.

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 03:41 PM   #26

Ill be purchasing one or two in the near future....any other recommendations?
Disneyfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 05:38 PM   #27
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneyfix View Post
Ill be purchasing one or two in the near future....any other recommendations?
One or two.......heaters in general ? Buy what you like and can afford. I like the oil filled radiators myself. If spending the money on a nice wood cabinet and digital readout doesn't hurt the budget, then go with the quartz "infrared" type. They all produce the same amount of heat per watt consumed.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 04:59 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
One or two.......heaters in general ? Buy what you like and can afford. I like the oil filled radiators myself. If spending the money on a nice wood cabinet and digital readout doesn't hurt the budget, then go with the quartz "infrared" type. They all produce the same amount of heat per watt consumed.
Heaters are for mh. Problem is I dont' know anything about them....this is part of the research I figured more people would have them....and there would be some consensus. Go figure. Thanks for the info.
Disneyfix is offline   Reply With Quote