Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-24-2019, 10:43 PM   #1

Quartzite...what's the attraction?

Just drove through on I-10. Saw lots of empty RV hookups and a lot of RVs. Some looked like permanent trash heaps.
I've seen a lot of posts of folks going to Quartzite.

Why? Clue me in. What's the attraction?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2019, 10:59 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Just 25,000+ rigs descending on the area to meet and greet each other, buy some stuff and enjoy time away.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 11:37 PM   #3

Quartzite is busy in the month of January mostly in the middle of the month. It is not as much fun as it was 10 or more years ago when prices were cheaper and there were better goods being sold.
Old 05-24-2019, 11:45 PM   #4

Triple E Owners Club
Stopped there for a night

On our way to Mexico last November.

We couldn't figure out the attraction of the place either....The place we booked into was terrible in the daylight.

No rush to go back. Found lots of spots to boondock elsewhere.

Cheers

DJ
Old 05-24-2019, 11:57 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
At this time of the year, through summer, Quartzsite is a ghost town, I believe 7000 residents live there thru the summer. During the winter, thousands of RVer's descend on the town. Many are snowbirds who can live in the desert for about $40.00 a month. They setup a huge tent, about the size of a football field and run a rock and gem show, and a ten day RV show. Several RV dealers show up and setup temporary lots. Several dozen vendors show up with displays and products inside and outside the large tent. There are a couple of big solar companies that are non stop busy. Roadmaster Tow bars has a service bay where they'll service and even rebuild your tow bar, I had mine rebuilt last year. You can buy tires, suspension products and everything else RV related.

All around the large tent, there are all sorts of vendors selling everything from miracle creams to the stuff you tossed out years ago, they retrieved and are now reselling. We go for about five days as a first of the year fun getaway. We always find some gadgets and goodies to buy.

There are no really nice restaurants, so bring your own food or eat fast food. We went for the first time in 2005 and haven't missed a year. Many brands camp in the same area and people get to know others they've only spoken to online.

Quartzsite is something everyone should try once. You'll be surprised and strangely drawn back.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 04:49 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Just 25,000+ rigs descending on the area .
Prime reason NOT to go.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 06:28 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
We really like Quartzsite in the winter, but we don’t stay in a RV park. I never have seen one I like. We boondocks a few miles out of town, away from the craziness. It isn’t a crowded place except near town even with tens of thousands of rigs because it is HUGE. The basic area is probably 6 miles by 10 miles, we a few inholdings here and there where camping is restricted. We visit with friends from another Internet forum for a few weeks each winter. The BLM offers free camping at the outskirts of the area, but you will have to buy water and a dump from places in town. BLM also offers very inexpensive (still huge) areas with trash dumpsters, water, and a dump station for $40 for 14 days or around $180 for 6 months. Yes, some people go just for cheap living, but we like the historic mining areas, the back roads, and the desert mountains. Oh, and did I mention friends?

We try to get there before the RV show and stay well after it, because the place is much quieter then.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 06:34 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Why? Clue me in. What's the attraction?
hustle, bustle, carnival atmosphere. In the end of January, I suspect Quartzite is home to 100,000 people. To me, its one of those things I needed to experience one time. DW and I spent a couple days there, parked out in the La Pas area and spent the day around the big tent and the main town.

Personally, I like desolation, so this really didn't appeal to me, but it was interesting and different to do it once to see what all the talk was about.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 08:55 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post

There are no really nice restaurants, so bring your own food or eat fast food.
Silly Als Pizza is about the only good place in town and they have excellent pizza but it is always packed. We only go for early lunch so we can get in. We attend Quartzite after the main event has ended so it is a bit less mobbed but always a fun couple of days or so.
Old 05-25-2019, 11:02 AM   #10

It’s like Sturgis for bikers. It’s the one place you can see old friends from all over the country in a short period of time.
Old 05-25-2019, 05:51 PM   #11

Sounds like Graceland. Everybody should go once but nobody needs to go twice.
Old 05-25-2019, 06:18 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
Sounds like Graceland. Everybody should go once but nobody needs to go twice.
Exactly. Been there, seen it, done it, don't need to see it again.
bucks2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 11:20 PM   #13

Don't judge it by those crappy-looking RV parks - especially seeing them in off-season. Those are folks living there year-round; not the typical RVers you'll see in the winter months.

In Jan/Feb it is a very festive time and most folks stay in the desert - boondocking with like-minded groups.

We stayed with 100+ of friends from a group we belong to with like interests. As a group we'd have a breakfast cookout then look at the white board of listed activities for the day. Activities just happen. No one is 'in charge'. Some go hiking, some 4-wheeling, some kayaking, etc. We also had mini seminars on various topics of RVing. We had a daily happy hour around the campfire and music later on - sometimes dancing. We had potlucks together. We even showed movies on a screen on the side of a RV. It was a time for friends to meet up and renew friendships. We stayed about 2 weeks and then all took off in various directions. We might have gone into town a couple times but our main reason to be there was for our group gathering.

Many groups meet up yearly such as certain manufacturers of RVs, people from a certain state as a group, ham radios, Jeepers, geocachers, family groups, etc.

Going by yourself wouldn't give you the same experience.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 08:46 AM   #14

Oh, and I forgot to mention that since the naked bookstore guy died..... the wife says there's no reason to go anymore either........
bucks2 is offline   Reply With Quote