Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-24-2007, 04:50 AM   #1

I have heard that the Quartzsite RV Show is the largest in the country. Is this correct? I know there is a large RV show in Tampa. Does anyone know how they compare? My wife and I want to go the the biggest, badest RV show that will feature all sorts of RV's as we are in the market for a new one. Is Quartzsite the place for us? Any tips or advice would be welcome. We live near Houston, so either Tampa or Quartzsite would be quite a drive! I will look forward to hearing from you. Carl
carl1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2007, 04:50 AM   #2

I have heard that the Quartzsite RV Show is the largest in the country. Is this correct? I know there is a large RV show in Tampa. Does anyone know how they compare? My wife and I want to go the the biggest, badest RV show that will feature all sorts of RV's as we are in the market for a new one. Is Quartzsite the place for us? Any tips or advice would be welcome. We live near Houston, so either Tampa or Quartzsite would be quite a drive! I will look forward to hearing from you. Carl
Old 11-24-2007, 09:38 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
The Pennsylvania RV & Camping Show is billed as the largest in America. It's held in Hershey, PA in Sept. Many of the new models are introduced there and it'll be the first show in the country with the 2009 models.

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 09:49 AM   #4
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Don't know about Quartzite, but I think Tampa is bigger and better than Pennsylvania, but Pennsylvania is a big one.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 01:08 PM   #5
paz

Both Hershey and Tampa claim to be the nation's biggest retail show. It probably depends on which criterion they use as a measure - attendance, square feet, number of rigs on display, or ??. Both shows are claiming 1300 rigs on display for their 2008 shows.

Tom N is right that Hershey will be the first public display of many 2009 models, which is a big plus for them as far as I am concerned.

We have attended the PRVCA Show in Harrisburg many times before the show was moved to Hershey and we attended Hershey this year for the first time. The PA show is huge and it's even larger now that it is in Hershey. In Jan., 2009, we will be attending Tampa for the first time. I understand Lazy Days is nearby and sort of has their own show at the same time.

The Sports, Vacation, and RV Show in Quartzsite is mostly RV accessories. There are RVs on display, but most seem to be brought in by individual dealers such as La Mesa and others. I think the dealers rent large lots that are scattered around town to display their stock of RVs. HERE is a link to the Sports, Vacation, and RV Show in Quartzsite.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 01:04 PM   #6

Mid Atlantic Campers
I find Hershey to be disappointing because of the lack of vendors. This year they did not even fill the floor of the arena. I love the aftermarket and nic nacs.

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 02:50 PM   #7

The Tampa show has plenty of RVs but sure was lacking on the vendor end.
Savannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 03:22 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Savannah:
The Tampa show has plenty of RVs but sure was lacking on the vendor end. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

LazyDays boycotts the Tampa show. Their action throws a monkey wrench in the Tampa show. LD tries to have their own show on the same dates.

-Tom

Old 11-26-2007, 03:01 AM   #9
paz

For those who are looking for accessories, Quartzsite is the place to go. The Sports, Vacation, and RV Show has an estimated 275 vendors - all accessories. In addition, the whole town is pretty much a flea market with almost anything you can imagine for sale, including things like tools, generators, and more RV accessories.

It's a long way for many to travel, but IMO every serious RVer should go at least once. The sight of thousands of RVs spread around the desert as you top the last little rise several miles outside town on I-10 is unbelievable!
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 03:18 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Lazy Days had a very large display last year at the Tampa Super show for the first time in many years. They were very pleased with sales.
They also had a large display at the Nov. 2007 RV show.
If you are a Lazy Days lover call them about the 2008 Super show, they should be there as they were for the past 2 RV shows.

THE MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE, IT MUST BE OPEN TO WORK
read & learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 06:14 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by read & learn:
Lazy Days had a very large display last year at the Tampa Super show for the first time in many years. They were very pleased with sales.
They also had a large display at the Nov. 2007 RV show.
If you are a Lazy Days lover call them about the 2008 Super show, they should be there as they were for the past 2 RV shows. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thats good news. Attending the show coincided with the change of ownership.

-Tom

Old 11-28-2007, 03:43 AM   #12

Thanks to all for your responses. Sounds like Tampa or Hershey would be the place to go. Dang I hate that drive on I 10 thru Louisana and parts of Mississippi though. We were there last January and the warm weather was really great while my kin folks here in Texas were FREEZING!
Old 11-28-2007, 09:17 AM   #13

We have been going to Quartzsite in Winter for many years, and are looking forward to our next visit. At first it was for the Sports, Vacation, and RV Show, but that is a sidelight of our trip now. Of course we hit the Big White Tent, where you learn to do the Quartzsite Shuffle. And the various RV vendor lots, all over town. And the never-ending Flea Markets. But my favorite is taking the Jeep back on the 4WD roads to the abandonded mines and ghost towns. Some mines are still being worked today, and if you get too close you are met with a very serious looking gentleman carrying a gun.
If you are into Geocaching, there are lots of those around in places you never knew existed. Ever play Desert Golf? Bring your clubs. It's free. So is the camping, if you are self contained. Then down the road to Imperial Dam LTVA area. More of same with bird watching and boating on several lakes. Yes, in the desert. Then across the Border to Algodones, MX for dental work and cheap Mexican drugs. The legal kind. And Marguaritas.
Sorry about carrying on, but you can see I'm a fan. If you want more info or hair raising tales, PM me.
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 10:34 AM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Happy belated birthday Bill!

If'n you don't mind I'd like to impose upon yur extensive knowledge of Quartzsite.

I'm going in 2008 and I've got a choice. A FrntWD passenger car or desert toys. I'll be 'campin' with the Dolphin club at Beaudry RV.

Which would you bring if it was an either/or proposition?

Full-timing by necessity. . . not choice.
Kernel is offline   Reply With Quote