Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-12-2018, 08:16 PM   #1

Question about "Hitch Ball Brands"

Hey everyone, my wife and I are wanting to get a small camper trailer, probably not more than 19' long, I plan on getting a "Tri-Ball" hitch, however there are so many brands out there, how or what do I choose...Reese, Curt, Maxx Tow/Haul, B&W, Draw-Tite, the list probably goes on and on. So here's my question: Which brand is the best, most reliable, best made, strongest, most durable??? I was leaning towards Curt Tri-Ball.
BigD75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2018, 08:21 PM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Each hitch and ball assembly has a rating on it. Make sure the rating matches your trailer. I've been RVing for 40 years and have half a dozen hitch and ball assemblies in my garage used for various trailers and boats.

About the only rule you should follow, is that the nut that holds the ball to the hitch have a lock washer and the threads of the ball extend outside the nut when it's tightened. A good practice when using any nut and bolt assembly.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 08:23 PM   #3

Can I ask why a tri-ball? A trailer only has one coupler.
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 08:53 PM   #4

Question about "Hitch Ball Brands"

I like the one that has all three welded to a solid chunk of 2” square stock, then you have a nice heavy hammer also [emoji106] personally, I’d look at where the 2 5/16 ball is and that it’s corresponding pin makes it the closer ball and not the farther one, if that makes sense. I can get some pictures tomorrow of 2 different hitches

However, you can’t run a sway control off a tri-ball hitch.
Old 04-12-2018, 09:27 PM   #5

Tri ball stingers are all straight. That is a bad idea as your tongue height is very important. Get an adjustable or do some measuring so you have the correct hitch height.
Brand does not matter as they all have to meet DOT weight specs. However a bare steel ball will rust and scar. Get a chrome ball.