Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-21-2020, 05:54 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by spdracr39 View Post
I would not go until the border opens up. You can't get the whole experience without going to the Canadian side IMO.
+1. You have not seen the falls until you see the Canadian side. If border is closed don’t go.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2020, 06:08 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktn1966 View Post
This is a serious question,... We stay away from big cities, expect Atlanta, all roads lead through Atlanta lol.
Most of all have a safe trip and enjoy the journey.
All good points, but there are excellent road systems 40-70 miles outside the ATL metro areas that can comfortably provide enjoyable options at good speed to bypass the metro mess. The US 27 corridor on the west side is a good example.
Americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 01:52 PM   #17

We have reservations at the Grand Island KOA near Niagara Falls in early August with reservations at 2 Canadian Providential Parks on the north side of Lake Erie in mid August. We're closely watching the border crossing closings.

I don't believe riots or protester turned riots activities will be a problem as we are in a campground by 4pm. Protesting and riots don't seem to congregate around campgrounds and travel though cities will be well before tea time. We avoid Atlanta traffic even in good times.

Using common sense goes a long way in protecting you and enjoying life. Like you might not want to overnight in a downtown Atlanta Walmart.
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 05:04 PM   #18

Here are some excellent articles on Rving at Niagara Falls:

https://wheelingit.us/?s=niagara+falls
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 10:52 AM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Grand Design Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Americanrascal View Post
All good points, but there are excellent road systems 40-70 miles outside the ATL metro areas that can comfortably provide enjoyable options at good speed to bypass the metro mess. The US 27 corridor on the west side is a good example.
Thank You for the info on using US 27!!

My big concern is getting into something on the roadway.
cmlintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 10:55 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Grand Design Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
We have reservations at the Grand Island KOA near Niagara Falls in early August with reservations at 2 Canadian Providential Parks on the north side of Lake Erie in mid August. We're closely watching the border crossing closings.

I don't believe riots or protester turned riots activities will be a problem as we are in a campground by 4pm. Protesting and riots don't seem to congregate around campgrounds and travel though cities will be well before tea time. We avoid Atlanta traffic even in good times.

Using common sense goes a long way in protecting you and enjoying life. Like you might not want to overnight in a downtown Atlanta Walmart.

My big concern is getting involved with something on the highways.
Old 06-23-2020, 11:00 AM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Grand Design Owners Club
Has anyone found themselves caught in an uncomfortable, dangerous situation? I'm afraid RVs may become targets. RVs are used by mainly older people out enjoying themselves and that in itself makes us targets.
Old 06-23-2020, 11:16 AM   #22

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayJo View Post
LOL! The Falls are not as spectacular on the New York side; Falls are best appreciated on the Ontario side. You can save yourself the worry since Canadian Border is close to U.S. tourist.

This is very true. The DW and I went there on our very traditional honeymoon 50 years ago and the view is indeed more spectacular on the Canadian side.

I haven't heard this specifically but I'm sure the Buffalo to Canada border crossings are as restricted as elsewhere on the U.S./Canada border, so its likely that you will only get to see the falls from the American side. Not saying its not a great view from there, its just best from the Canadian side.

If seeing the falls at their best is the primary reason for the trip, perhaps it would be better to wait until next year when HOPEFULLY the coronavirus will be under control and the issues of racial unrest are being seriously addressed.
akeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 01:43 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmlintx View Post
Has anyone found themselves caught in an uncomfortable, dangerous situation? I'm afraid RVs may become targets. RVs are used by mainly older people out enjoying themselves and that in itself makes us targets.
We boondocked on public lands a lot and never had an issue.

No, it's definitely not a common occurrence. However, there have been a couple instances that I recall in the past few years but I doubt they were due to just being RVers as one instance was a young couple in Canada but the killers were running from the law because of a previous killing of a non-RVer.

I certainly wouldn't be concerned. How many instances of crime do you have in your home town? I looked it up:

https://www.areavibes.com/kaufman-tx/crime/

If you feel you have to keep looking back over your shoulder or dreaming up scenarios of 'what ifs' then you're not going to have fun and enjoy your travels. Best you stay home.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 02:17 PM   #24

There's only one complete source for all your riot reports, real and imaginary. But if you're asking the question, you're already a viewer. Just keep on with what you're doing.
rodekyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 04:28 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCRET View Post
Like it or not, the OP’s concerns are valid. If anyone wishes to stuff their cranium in their colon and think otherwise, have at it. This is not the same country it was six months ago.

And yes, a good many of these protests are scheduled, and you can find out about them by googling the cities you intend to pass through or otherwise be around.
Protest are scheduled, he asked about riots.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 05:48 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmlintx View Post
Has anyone found themselves caught in an uncomfortable, dangerous situation? ...
Yes, blew a rear tire and the next exit was a dirt road with a cattle guard, lift pump went on a very steep gravel road, had to change a tire on the tow dolly at Flatbush and Foster. Things I shared here.

The point is people at this site share experiences good and bad and it is rare to hear of RV being targeted. The 'news' media or Youtube would air old people being pulled out of an RV and hurt. Well until the next bad thing happened.

So while the absence of evidence is not evidence, being targeted in an RV is not one of the things I worry about.

I grew up in the 'bad' part of town in the 60s. Most people are good wherever you go.

Tags
travel