Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-03-2020, 09:06 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conesus1 View Post
Fact is it didn't work for him
If they had stated that, that would be fine, but that was not the post I responded to. Nor do I believe I've responded to any posts here where the person said it didn't work for them, denying their experience.

[Mod Edit]
Goodspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2020, 09:43 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike View Post

False unsupported claims of fact are inappropriate and should not be made on this forum or forum.

This forum if full of them along with every media outlet there it.
Sta-bil in itself has made unsupported claims for the product.
Read there myth busters section.
Its nothing more then Stoddard solvent, mostly used in paints. It has paraffin in it which "I" believe is the reason for what people see, including myself.

Never ever had a problem storing fuel for less than a year, two tops before Ethanol was added to fuel and non ethanol was very hard to come by and expensive when you got it. So I tried Gum it up bil for a 2 seasons before I realized it was as much a problem as ethanol fuel.

So moral of the story is, stop using ethanol fuel, then you'll never need Gum it up bil. Non ethanol's fuels are easy to find, use it!
Conesus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 11:36 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conesus1 View Post
So moral of the story is, stop using ethanol fuel, then you'll never need Gum it up bil. Non ethanol's fuels are easy to find, use it!
I've only seen it one place locally, and I use that term loosely. It's about an hour drive from my home.

My approach is more to run the engines regularly. I've driven my 89 Ranger almost every week for over 30 years, but that's not just for the fuel system. Small engines get started roughly monthly, and that is almost entirely for the fuel system. I grew up with outboard and inboard/outboard boats where carb issues from sitting were a PITA. And those boats would get a lot of use 4 months of the year.
Old 11-03-2020, 02:12 PM   #46

Alpine Owners Club
Mechanic here with 40+ years in the trade. I have seen StaBil brand fuel stabilizer turn fuel into a waxy paste before. Thick grey deposits that remind me of Mt. St. Helens ash.
Granted, the only times I've seen it do this is where it was over applied and the vehicles sat longer than a year. Follow the instructions to the tee and remember one thing, more is not better.
Personally I prefer a couple of options cheaper than fuel stabilizer.
On small equipment such as chainsaws, blowers, mowers etc simply run them out of fuel. Never had a problem.
On larger things such as boats, motorcycles, classic vehicles and other gas powered things that are going to sit all winter I fill them with non ethanol fuel and Seafoam in the fall. If non ethanol fuel is not available follow the same procedure with E10. If parked indoors in a low condensation environment I'll slowly siphon off the fuel for my truck or Jeep during the winter. A 12v transfer pump works quite well on older vehicles and boats for this purpose.
I have heard good things about Startron, but have never used it. Personally I've never tried StaBil either. I'm sure it works if used correctly. When it causes problems is when the mechanics have to deal with it. Ask any decent driveability tech and they'll likely confirm, when StaBil goes bad, it's a real mess to deal with.
On the other hand, if it works for you why change? Just don't over apply and let them sit too long. My .02, fwiw.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 07:59 PM   #47
Community Moderator

Tiffin Owners Club
Thread Warning
The OP asked a simple question and this has devolved into arguments. Please keep your posts within the rules. State your opinion and move on.

Thank you to those posting on topic and within the rules.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 10:24 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike View Post
Then start your post: "In my opinion." Don't make the claim as a claim of fact.

I often limit my statements, such as "Not my area" or "I'm not certain, but "

Here is what you originally posted: "Don't use it, it will foul you fuel injectors or carburator." That is a purported factual statement.
Sorry but you got the wrong guy. I did not post that.
Old 11-03-2020, 10:29 PM   #49

Down in hurricane country, keep stabil in my 20 gals of gas I keep for generator. Sometimes I go a year or so before using it. [I use gas in my riding mower]. I add the right amount every 8 months and have never had a problem.
Old 11-04-2020, 05:25 AM   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonfu View Post
Don't use it, it will foul you fuel injectors or carburator.
I've been using the gas Stabil for over 20 years and the diesel version for almost 10. No ill effects to date and no issue with gardens growing in the tank, unlike my neighbor who until recently used nothing. They had to pump his tank and drop it to clean it out.
2020 Jeep Wrangler toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 09:11 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudfrog View Post
Sorry but you got the wrong guy. I did not post that.
Sorry.
Old 11-04-2020, 12:41 PM   #52

Use it on every fill up past 6 years unless in use , I keep tank full if not in use ,have had no problems with motor or generator
stew1 is offline   Reply With Quote