Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2023, 09:17 PM   #1

Question for anyone that has gotten a Texas Class B exempt drivers license.

Hey guys, long time lurker, first time poster. I currently have an RV that's under the 26001lbs GVWR requirement, but I am looking to trade up to a diesel pusher. I know that I need a Class B exempt drivers license for this, but I have some questions that I can't seem to find anywhere.

My question is concerning any potential eye exams. My dad and I would both be getting the license and we both have vision problems. I am red/green colorblind, which I know can get me disqualified from a CDL, but I am not sure about the Class B exempt. My dad has 20/20 vision in one eye, but significantly worse vision in the other one. He can pass the normal class C eye exam fine, but again, a CDL is more strict.

I've looked everywhere and can't get a straight answer, and I know the smart thing is to go to the office and ask them, but seeing as how the DMV is a designated location of hell on earth, and I avoid that place at all costs. Plus if I had a dollar for every time I've gotten incorrect info from an official place, I could afford to hire a driver. So yeah, if anyone has gone through this, please let me know.
Dwinchester is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2023, 10:05 PM   #2

That's a good question and I tried to look it up on the internet, but could not get a definitive answer either. It looks like the Class B license is no different than a Class C license regarding vision. However I could not confirm that, especially the color blindness aspect.
You may can call and talk with someone at the Escapees organization in Livingston. They have been extremely helpful with RV tricky questions in the past, and they can guide you to someone with a definitive answer. Their website is escapees.com. Their number is on the website.
I would also recommend calling a Texas DPS office and getting their response. The offices in small communities may be more helpful than say an office in Houston, etc. I have experience with the DPS in Livingston and Nacogdoches and they were very helpful at that time.
Thanks,
2018 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 32SA
High Road Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 10:49 PM   #3

When I got my TX class a exempt a couple years ago, i had to pass the same eye test as always, looking into the device and callout the numbers / letters all black and white. No mention of if I could see color or not.

I am legally blind in one eye and I had to get a letter from my eye dr that nothing could be done to improve the vision before they would issue my license.
Old 01-26-2023, 01:02 AM   #4

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwinchester View Post
Hey guys, long time lurker, first time poster. I currently have an RV that's under the 26001lbs GVWR requirement, but I am looking to trade up to a diesel pusher. I know that I need a Class B exempt drivers license for this, but I have some questions that I can't seem to find anywhere.

My question is concerning any potential eye exams. My dad and I would both be getting the license and we both have vision problems. I am red/green colorblind, which I know can get me disqualified from a CDL,
First off No, being Color Blind is NOT a basis for disqualification to hold a Class A or B CDL..

The only professions I know of is when You work for the Railroad OR You are an Aircraft Pilot You must have color acuity .

I Held a Chauffeurs License then Grandfathered into the Class A CDL, with nearly all the endorsements. Retired from trucking after 50+ years and a little over 5m miles.

I as well am color blind (Red/Green & pastels] The Only thing they may require is that Your color blindness be notated on the license [Mine is] They CANNOT refuse You a Drivers/Class B or A license due to a birth defect.. You can thank the ADA [Americans with Disabilities Act] access Rulings and laws.

AND As You Know....The traffic lights are standardized ie; top to bottom is Red/Amber & Green.. also are standardized is when the traffic lights are laid Down [Horizontal] Then Left to Right is Red/Amber/Green.. You Don't look for Color , Just which one is lit.
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 07:14 AM   #5

The class B license in Texas is NOT associated with a CDL license. It is an EXEMPT license. However, the study materials are found in the CDL Handbook, specifically chapter 14. The process for a license is to take the written exam and eye test just like a regular driver's license. Your situation may require a doctor's letter. Have that available, as your eye doctor should be familiar with those requirements. Once you have passed those tests, you may sign up on the Texas DPS website to take your driving portion of the test. (This is designed to make you feel 16 again!). Sign up, take the driving test, and be on your way.

Karen & Allen Van Zandt
txcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 12:35 PM   #6

Thanks for all of the info guys! It's a huge help.
Dwinchester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 12:57 PM   #7

Welcome aboard!
Old 01-26-2023, 08:22 PM   #8

I have the TX Class A non-CDL license. Just had to renew due to age. Simple process, eye test was read a chart on post from a marked line--left eye, right eye, both eyes, then ID red/green/yellow lines. Don't know how the color-blindness would affect the test.
I got the A license when pulling a fiver with a 450--now have a MH/toad. Said I am ok with the A for this combo. Studying the Chapter 14 CDL would be the best, but I did not have to take an air-brake test. This was at the Livingston, TX, DPS office, which does a LOT of testing for Escapees.
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 08:49 PM   #9

You have to get an appointment to even get in to be tested now and the appointments are months out. People are saying that no one down there will answer the phone either. It’s quiet frustrating.
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 08:56 PM   #10

In New Braunfels, was not too hard to schedule a test. First, did it online, then had to cancel. Went to DPS office and used the kiosk to set up another and it went way quicker than I expected. Would guess some of the major cities are really backed up--schedule online for an early time or do the same in person at the kiosks. The NB office had a very efficient assistant showing how to use the kiosk--I usually am flustered at the ones in McDonalds, but this one was easy.
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 09:49 PM   #11

Question for anyone that has gotten a Texas Class B exempt drivers license.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
In New Braunfels, was not too hard to schedule a test. First, did it online, then had to cancel. Went to DPS office and used the kiosk to set up another and it went way quicker than I expected. Would guess some of the major cities are really backed up--schedule online for an early time or do the same in person at the kiosks. The NB office had a very efficient assistant showing how to use the kiosk--I usually am flustered at the ones in McDonalds, but this one was easy.

How long ago was this? My Daughter just tried all around. New Braunfels, Seguin, San Marcos etc etc. To get her’s renewed.

I think her appointment is a couple months away.
Old 01-27-2023, 07:29 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_M View Post
How long ago was this? My Daughter just tried all around. New Braunfels, Seguin, San Marcos etc etc. To get her’s renewed.

I think her appointment is a couple months away.

So I just talked to my daughter. The closest appointment for her in New Braunfels was in May, so she was able to schedule in San Antonio and it was about a week away she just got it done.

Tags
class b, driver, texas