Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-14-2021, 11:40 PM   #1

Question for those of you who store their RV at a storage lot.

Mods please move if this is not the appropriate page for this topic. My wife and I purchased five acres of vacant land recently. Our plan was to buy a double wide mobile home, a garage for me, plenty of RV parking, etc. After drawing up plans with an architect it became obvious that we are going to use, at most, one acre. That leaves four empty acres just sitting there. After trying to find a place to stash our RV for a few months it occurred to me just how little RV storage is available near me.

I am now contemplating taking out a humungous SBA loan to build an RV storage park on my land. If you store your RV in a yard, would you share with me the pros and cons that you perceive with the place you use? Anything at all. Storage fees, access, drivability, amenities, etc. I'd really like to hear from real world users of RV storage. Thanks! Eric
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2021, 11:51 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm curious if you've checked on zoning regulations in your county.

I used public storage for a year, my coach got broken into while there. So security would be a big issue for me.

That fact that you are living there really helps out with that issue.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 11:59 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
I'm curious if you've checked on zoning regulations in your county.

I used public storage for a year, my coach got broken into while there. So security would be a big issue for me.

That fact that you are living there really helps out with that issue.
I am zoned for Mixed Use, which basically means a business in front and a residence in back, or vice versa. I am planning on a ten foot perimeter wall and plenty of cameras.
Old 02-15-2021, 12:25 AM   #4

We store our 34 class A at a local RV Storage location.

The location has
1) High fence which surrounds the lot.
2) Locked automatic gate, passcode provided.
3) Covered and non-covered spaces are available.
4) Covered is a metal structure, divided into parking spaces. Each structure has two rows of spaces, which covers front and both sides of RV.
5) Cameras throughout location - very visible.
6) Gravel in parking space and throughout entire location. Well kept.
7) We have covered space. Important to me to protect the RV.
8) We pay annually, approximately 80.00 per month.
9) Electricity is available for extra $.

It requires a little planning when returning from a trip, or packing to go on a trip. But very doable. It would be awesome to have the ability to dump tanks, or fill with potable water. Current solution is to go to local RV park to winterize RV. They charge $20.00.

We check on RV once a month when we exercise the generator. When RV is not Winterized, I go over and clean inside the RV before/after a trip.

We bring the RV home for a few days to wash the outside of the RV. Or perform simple repairs.

Having the RV at home would certainly be more convenient. Just not enough space.

Wishing you success!
Jerrilynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 04:30 AM   #5

For us needs would be a secure location, fair price and also ease of getting in and out of the parking spot. Maybe the ability to wash the camper would be nice also but not a deal breaker, I like the idea of a dump station but that would be a very nice perk and usually never offered.
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 05:21 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrilynn View Post
We store our 34 class A at a local RV Storage location.

The location has
4) Covered is a metal structure, divided into parking spaces. Each structure has two rows of spaces, which covers front and both sides of RV.
6) Gravel in parking space and throughout entire location. Well kept.
8) We pay annually, approximately 80.00 per month.
9) Electricity is available for extra $.

It requires a little planning when returning from a trip, or packing to go on a trip. But very doable. It would be awesome to have the ability to dump tanks, or fill with potable water. Current solution is to go to local RV park to winterize RV. They charge $20.00.

We check on RV once a month when we exercise the generator. When RV is not Winterized, I go over and clean inside the RV before/after a trip.

We bring the RV home for a few days to wash the outside of the RV. Or perform simple repairs.

Having the RV at home would certainly be more convenient. Just not enough space.

Wishing you success!
Very much the same. Location is at an auto/truck repair that also does most chassis work for me. Im also at $1,000/year. Minimal power for maintainers only included (negotiated as power usually adds $10/mo). Security fence locked key provided.
This spot started with one building, 20 spots and has doubled # covered spots.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 06:26 AM   #7

[QUOTE=Jerrilynn;5636593]

The location has
4) Covered is a metal structure, divided into parking spaces. One big structure with about 20 spots. Wide enough that we can have our slides out and still be "between the lines".
6) Paved throughout entire location. Well kept.
8) We pay annually, approximately 100.00 per month.
9) Electricity is included. 10 amp service, just for battery maintenance. Circuit breaker box is accessible since sometimes when we've gone up to the RV, the breaker is tripped. I think some people are doing more than maintaining batteries.

We had previously stored the RV in a gravel lot, uncovered. The owner did not treat the weeds, but decided to mow them down periodically. Had a few dings in the old camper from this process. Not happy, so we moved.
Old 02-15-2021, 06:58 AM   #8

In addition to things others have listed, I have two things:

1) NOT dirt surface. If not paved, at least good gravel that will be weed-free.
2) A dump on-site for tenants ONLY. Great to have when returning from a trip.
MoTexCol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 07:12 AM   #9

Personally we like indoor storage. I don't know where OP is located. Having bought 5 acres I assume pretty far in the country, but who knows. Building a set of indoor storage garages in the right place can be very popular, not just for RV storage but mancaves, boat storage, small businesses, workshops, etc. We owned a condo type one in IL and we were one of the only RVs using them. All kinds of other uses. Ours had heat, power and a bathroom.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 08:54 AM   #10

We use a storage facility near Dallas, TX. Ours is out on the edge of the suburbs and in a lot much like that Jerrilynn but with a few differences. The facility manager lives on site and has monitors for the security cameras in the house as well as in the office. They also have dusk to dawn security lights and a motion sensor alarm at several points in the lot. The entire lot is paved with covered sites renting for $135/month and outside sites at $75/month. There is water available in one central area and the covered sites have 15a power outlets between the spots with 1 double outlet for 4 spots.
SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 09:33 AM   #11

Until I sold my HR Vacationer a year ago, I used an enclosed storage unit. No frills really, but a secure place. The owner had 32 units, all were 14 wide and 50 deep with a 12w and 12 tall overhead door. The door was controlled by a keypad (owner had master code and he coded my personal code). It had one 30 amp plug in each bay. No heat, in Oklahoma the winter temps are usually pretty mild (except today, its minus 6 as I type this).
It was all concrete, no fence or cameras. He also owned a rental house next door and had an RV pad for a full timer to park for security. There was a full bathroom as part of the first unit with a keypad entry that everyone could use. It had washer and dryer, shower, sink, toilet.
It was off the beaten path, but he always had a waiting list. Rent was $250/mo. The owner told me it cost him about $16k to build each unit.
Also, it wasnt just for RV storage, about 20% of the tenants use it for other storage purposes. On guy had a Snap-On tool truck he kept in a bay. He had added his own personal security devices for protection.
When I was building a new home I lived in the HR for 10 weeks, while I had the RV out of storage, I put all my furniture in the RV storage space. It was perfect.
Good luck on your venture, you will do well.
okkhmbldr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 09:33 AM   #12

I have no experience but my thinking would be to start out small and basic. I live in the south so my ideas for here are most likely different than what would be needed in colder climates.

I'd start with something like 10 covered spots with rear and side walls at the very ends. Being that I am in the south, I'd bring the walls down to about 2 feet above the ground to allow plenty of sunlight in. Spots would be opened and wide in front and there would be a good gravel/rock foundation to drive and park on. I would definitely bring in electricity for security but for now, would only prep the 10 spots (underground conduit stubbed out) for future electricity addition if there was a demand for it.

Might leave a sizeable area open for addition of dump station later but that wouldn't be something I'd even think about doing now. My opinion from what I have seen in our area is that simple secure parking at a decent price is the main thing wanted, not a bunch of extras that are rarely used.

It sounds like easy money but I realize there'd be various issues to deal with along the way. Liability issues, accidents, people not paying the rent, etc,,,. I'd sure want to get a feel for all that before putting too much effort into the project.
Old 02-15-2021, 09:50 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblr View Post
For us needs would be a secure location, fair price and also ease of getting in and out of the parking spot. Maybe the ability to wash the camper would be nice also but not a deal breaker, I like the idea of a dump station but that would be a very nice perk and usually never offered.
I have every intention of offering a dump station, water fill, free ice, and a washing area.
Old 02-15-2021, 09:57 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbleiweiss View Post
Personally we like indoor storage. I don't know where OP is located. Having bought 5 acres I assume pretty far in the country, but who knows. Building a set of indoor storage garages in the right place can be very popular, not just for RV storage but mancaves, boat storage, small businesses, workshops, etc. We owned a condo type one in IL and we were one of the only RVs using them. All kinds of other uses. Ours had heat, power and a bathroom.
I am in the Southern California desert just north of Palm Springs. Those type of "man caves" have already been done in the area, and, frankly, once you sell them the revenue stream is reduced considerably. Also, insurance on those types of storage is out of my budget.

Tags
hose, storage