Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-10-2022, 08:24 PM   #1

Question for Thousand Trails members

We recently signed up for that basic Camping Pass membership for the Northwest Region of Thousand Trails. I understood some of the restrictions regarding the basic membership when I signed up but after I paid, I found out additional information that I hadn't noticed before that would have changed my mind.

For the Camping Pass you can only make reservations 60 days prior to your stay. For $330 more you can make reservations 90 days prior or for an undisclosed amount of $$$ you could upgrade to the Adventure package and make reservations 120 days in advance. This shocked me. I am not planning to give them any more money so I am stuck with the 60 day reservation limitation.

It is my expectation that at 60 days I will not be able to make reservations during the summer time on the beach.

Has anyone else run into this? Is it impossible to reserve a spot in nice locations during peak travel times?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2022, 08:48 PM   #2

60 day restriction on placing reservations is definitely going to hinder getting summer spots when the 90 day gets what's left after the 120 day folks place there reservations

CG sites are tough during high traffic periods and high value places
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 09:01 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
yes its going to be difficult. hopefully you only bought one year.
but thousand trails does not reserve you a specific SITE, just a reservation
so you could arrive as a SUPERB spot is being vacated by one that their time is up.
and even though you have a reservation, there may or may not actually be a usable site available. they like to count the sites that are out of commission as usable sites

we bought the ten year plan. IT WAS horrible. my fault. i should have checked more about what was offered in texas and points we like to travel to
most texas parks until recently were in poor shape and or filled to the brim with folks that bought seasonal sites and of course they are sitting on prime sites
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 09:08 PM   #4

Not a big fan of any of those time share schemes and as a 18 year full timing RV'er I'd say that if you're the type that insists on camping at 'popular' resorts, you'll probably find that TT parks are packed when you need them the most. BUT NOT THIS YEAR.

Very likely with the fuel prices approaching $5/gallon and RVs averaging 9 MPG, I'd say you'll probably be able to chose your favorite places, then reserve away! I imagine TT will find some way to charge you for requesting to be on a list waiting for a cancellation but that's one way to do it, get on their cancellation list. The 60 day out thing might not be terrible this year if you go ahead and make a reservation as early as possible...note that some places will say they are full on their web site so those are the ones you need to call and ask to be on the cancellation list.

Personally, I've only had problems finding a place to stay in my chosen areas less than 5 times in 18 years. Had to boondock at Walmarts a few times but never had a real problem. But I tend to look for RV parks that are near smaller towns of under 30K or are remote but somewhat close to the sights. So even though you might have a TT membership, there are still 15,000 odd private and public RV parks in the US that are just fine and many close to what you want to visit too.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 09:10 PM   #5
Travel Nurse Chauffeur

Monaco Owners Club
We have the southwest and the Trails package for around $900. We used it last year during the week and it actually paid for it self. It seems the only place we could ever get anything on the weekend was in Acton CA. WooHoo! This year we can't get 2 days in a row anytime anywhere.

I won't renew next year. And the adventure plan, it's around $6k then 600 per year.
vyndance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 09:25 PM   #6

Last time I looked the TT Northwest - 22 campgrounds and preserves

Slim pickens in the best of times
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 09:42 PM   #7
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Last time I looked the TT Northwest - 22 campgrounds and preserves

Slim pickens in the best of times
Probably only <15 if you discount the ones that look like a homeless campground under the Interstate bridges.
Old 03-10-2022, 09:55 PM   #8

We were members for over 20yrs.We quit 2 yrs ago. No open sites more often than not. Poor maintenance and faulty electric. Surcharges for things like 50a, certain loops, etc. They also now rent out to non-members which further reduces available sites and the number of permanent stays is growing which further reduces availability.
TeachTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 09:38 AM   #9

FWIW, I have had 2 free memberships to TT, in the PNW region, and I only used it in Oregon twice. Both times, it was a disaster as the parks were trashed, dirty, ill equipped and staff were not helpful at all. My first experience was on the oregon coast, had a reservation, hit the gate and it seemed I was interrupting the person time, was told to go get a site (who needs a reservation?) and proceeded to step in dog crap every where I went. For the money being required, its a win for TT and a lose for the client as there are very few CG's available and of those, most have limited access (and are often old and run down) for TT members, as they are not a "true" TT park. Save your money and look into something else, if you need a membership . After having two free memberships, they could not give me another one. to me TT is like the Camping World of campgrounds.
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 10:34 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
After looking at the various "camping packages" I decided that they were too restrictive and not in the areas that I wanted to travel. So, we kept the money and just wing it.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 12:53 PM   #11

Thousand Trails Camping Pass

We purchased the Annual Camping last July. So far we are averaging about $16 per night, but that number shrinks every time we use it. Not bad for full hookup sites. Midwest and South.

CG's don't always have availability when trying to reserve online, but we have found CG staff to be very helpful in finding availability.

I think we receive good value for the money we spent.
Old 03-11-2022, 05:54 PM   #12

I just got an email back from Thousand Trails regarding the costs of the Adventure package and the Elite packages. Holy Expletive! The Adventure package costs nearly as much as what we paid for our entire trailer, and we bought our trailer brand new.
Old 04-24-2022, 10:23 AM   #13

But you can buy also buy used memberships at about half the original price…you lose perks like freezing dues at age 62 though … as well as possible resale options …
Miah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 10:45 AM   #14

I'm with several other posters. Did a loooonnngg investigation including visiting TT parks and boy, what a waste of money. Many of the parks were in such sad shape I would NOT chose to stay at them. And the TT people had more than enough time in some of them to actually do some improving...they just don't. The profit margins are much more important apparently. And those that have a 'guard shack' and gates were less than inviting.

So I avoided buying into any type of TT or Coast to Coast, even the 1/2 priced 'used' buy ins weren't that attractive when there is something like Passport America available. Saved thousands with PPA over the years. And sure, some of them weren't the best parks but on average they were fine or even better than fine.

But, after 12 years of full timing, I did buy into a park (6 yrs ago) so now I'm the proud owner of 1/2570th of an RV park that I can stop and stay at in spring and fall as I snow bird it. Cost $600 on sale. Than $305/yr dues. Much much less expensive than the TT setup. But...only one park in the system. Just happens to be on my snow bird route.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote