Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-25-2014, 07:20 AM   #1
bap

Question of the day...really need input on golf carts by 2pm 8/25/14

hello and good morning,,, the wife and i found a 1991 36v ez-go golf cart with 2 new batteries the rest he said tested good also has new tires and a charger....it looks good from what we can tell from the pics on cl but we know nothing about golf carts,,,never thought about buying one , but my father in law is haveing a tough time walking now at the age of 76 so we thought we would pick him one up....he has been riding his mower from his house to ours and around our 4 acre house seat...
my other conceren about this cart is he said it runs fine and strong except it losses power going up a steep grade,,...he is asking 1,200 for this cart and it is in our budget...so i thought i would ask on here before we take the hour drive to check it out...today...
thanks for any input anyone has....
bap is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2014, 07:26 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
It is not a good idea to mix old and new batteries.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 10:01 AM   #3

Looses power because the batteries are tired.

Suggest seller replace other batteries as part of the deal with it being able to drive properly after the deal breaker.
Old 08-25-2014, 10:17 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Bear in mind that 6 volt cart batteries are around $100 a pop.
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 10:23 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just purchased the same vintage last winter season only ours is a Club Car. It's best to replace all the batteries. Mixing old and new is not good. Sam's Club has Duracell 6 volt golf cart batteries for about $85/each plus tax. Good Luck hope it works out.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 11:50 AM   #6

FWIW, my son just found a Club Car cart complete in Harley Davidson colors and trim. Batteries and cables needed replacing, so no way to test the cart, but he got it for $500; knowing that there was another $650 to put into it.

Mixing old and new batteries gives average voltage. It greatly reduces the life span of the new ones, and doesn't help the old ones. Plan on getting a whole new set of batteries, or at least four more.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	golf cart.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	71944  
Old 08-26-2014, 05:06 AM   #7
bap

looks like luck was on my side yesterday then,,,,our meet had to be postponed..
but in the meantime i raan accross a 2005 yamaha 4 stroke with top and windshield asking price on this one is 1,800...it has spent hits life on a golf course..i dont know if thats good or bad..lol...i have never even driven a cart before actually never even thought about buying one....have never played golf but i would think a golf cart on a course could get driven pretty hard...people tend to drive pretty hard in rental cars and i would think alot of folks would run a cart pretty hard on a course to get the wheee factor in there...lol
during my last couple days of researching carts i have seen electric,2 stroke and know this 4 stroke..also i have seen carts that cost as much as my wrangler,it seems endlesss what you can do with these things...lol

what do you folks think about the 2 of these machines,,,
the fella at the golf course told me that they only used 4 strokes(i didnt even know they made the 4stroke untill he told me) because the batteries loose like 5 percent every year...but i dont know ,,,thats why im asking for helpfull advise on here,,,i seee alot of you folks running around the campgrounds on them and thought this would be a great place to get some good advise from people that use them like we would..
thanks in advance...
Old 08-26-2014, 05:13 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Most folks in our park have electric carts but there is one couple that have a gas and they don't have any problems with it at all. It is also a 4 stroke. Don't really know if $1800 is a good price or not but maybe someone else will chime in.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 06:20 AM   #9

With gassers, just press the gas pedal and you're off and running. You don't even need to remember to turn the key off when you leave the cart.

With electrics, you need to plug it into the charger every night; especially a 36V. If your Dad has any kind of forgetfulness from time to time, then a gasser is a lot less of a headache.

P.S. a tank of gas would last a month or more. 2-strokes are quieter, but who cares if you're out in the country? They're less expensive, too.
Old 08-26-2014, 06:42 AM   #10

$1400 for a nice, sporty, gasser

Club car golf cart ( gas )
Old 08-26-2014, 02:24 PM   #11

Golf carts

I have had several gas and electric carts. If you have a few acres I would go with a gas cart. Especially for a senior. They are pretty much trouble free, keep gas and oil in them and you should be good. My 90 yr old mother in law is hell on wheels on hers. Drives it around the lake, over to visit friends, etc. if put all the lights and mirrors on hers, so she can drive it pretty much all the time

Yamahas have a single cylinder, so they have better torque than the smaller 2 cylinder ez-go and club car.
Dillon_fwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 05:46 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillon_fwa View Post

Yamahas have a single cylinder, so they have better torque than the smaller 2 cylinder ez-go and club car.
Wouldn't the reverse be correct? Seems that two cylinders could produce greater torque, but who can set me straight...or not?

We're assuming that this is a question of engines with similar displacement.
Old 08-27-2014, 06:48 AM   #13
Community Moderator

Question of the day...really need input on golf carts by 2pm 8/25/14

I found this

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...1120032AAmelPA
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 07:01 AM   #14
bap

thanks bammaboy i called the fella with the cart u showed me,,,,he was a wealth of information,,even though we were to far apart and he had already sold the cart and knew there was no sell to be made....i know what to look for in buying golf carts..
i dont know if he sells for a living or a hobby but he said he sells at least 4 a month and has been doing so for years....if anyone around his area is looking i highly recomend calling him up....
thanks again for the time in sending me his add.