Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-24-2018, 11:27 AM   #1

Question when plugging TT into electric at home

In a few days we are going to be visiting a cousin who lives on a farm. She said they have a heavy duty all weather extension cord that we can use to plug our TT into an electric socket just inside their garage/barn. She said nothing else is on that circuit.

We have a 30 amp TT. We have 2 batteries. Our refrigerator can run on electric or gas. But we've never had to run the furnace while doing this in the past. When we boondock our batteries do not provide enough power to power our electrical sockets or microwave. We hardly ever NOT stay in a campground. We've only been without hookups twice and that was up in the mountains where we didn't have to run the A/C or the furnace. The frig ran off of propane. AND it was before my husband needed to wear a C-pap at night.

Neither of us are very electrical inclined. So we have questions about hooking up to a house circuit.

1. Will plugging into house current (110) screw up anything in the TT.

2. If we do this we should still switch our refrigerator to gas shouldn't we? Should we ever try to run our refrigerator on electricity when plugged into house current? It seems like the refrigerator would be too much, especially when the furnace kicks on?

3. Will it overload the heavy duty extension cord when the furnace kicks on if just running the furnace and c-pap machine? We have no idea how many amps the c-pap uses.

4. What other consequences could plugging into house current cause?

Our gut is telling us to not plug into house current but would like to hear from people who know more about this than we know.

Thanks in advance for ya'lls help. Much appreciated!!!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2018, 11:36 AM   #2

My RV is a 50 amp electrical system, and when home I plug it into a 20 amp home outlet and leave it plugged in until we leave for the next trip. We can run the refrigerator, one roof air conditioner, water pump, microwave, if roof air is not running, charge batteries etc etc etc. I pretty much know what the difference appliances use amp wise, and we just don't turn on too many.

So first thing is to find out what breaker they have on that electricity line. Then manage loads accordingly.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 11:40 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmrad View Post
In a few days we are going to be visiting a cousin who lives on a farm. She said they have a heavy duty all weather extension cord that we can use to plug our TT into an electric socket just inside their garage/barn. She said nothing else is on that circuit.

We have a 30 amp TT. We have 2 batteries. Our refrigerator can run on electric or gas. But we've never had to run the furnace while doing this in the past. When we boondock our batteries do not provide enough power to power our electrical sockets or microwave. We hardly ever NOT stay in a campground. We've only been without hookups twice and that was up in the mountains where we didn't have to run the A/C or the furnace. The frig ran off of propane. AND it was before my husband needed to wear a C-pap at night.

Neither of us are very electrical inclined. So we have questions about hooking up to a house circuit.

2. If we do this we should still switch our refrigerator to gas shouldn't we? Should we ever try to run our refrigerator on electricity when plugged into house current? It seems like the refrigerator would be too much, especially when the furnace kicks on?

3. Will it overload the heavy duty extension cord when the furnace kicks on if just running the furnace and c-pap machine? We have no idea how many amps the c-pap uses.

Our gut is telling us to not plug into house current but would like to hear from people who know more about this than we know.

House current is the same current you would have at a campground. Your 30 amp 3 prong cord will not work at your friends house (Probably not work)
You will need a plug adaptor, that will go from your 30 amp cord to a regular 3 prong socket like you see at a house. I plug my 30 amp plug into my house this way all the time. Just get the adapter and run your furnace it will work fine.
2004 Montana 2955RL, 400 watt solar, 2000 watt inverter/charger, 4-Interstate 225AH 6volt golf cart batteries, All LED lights,Champion Remote start 3- fuel option 3100/3400 inverter/gen.- 2000 F-350 7.3 4x4 long bed crew cab SRW.
weredoingit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 11:41 AM   #4

You shouldn't have any problems. You just need to prepare correctly.

First, make sure it's a normal wall plug and a normal extension cord, but a heavy one. The fat rv plug is normal 120 volt, not 220. Some people think that they can just use a welder or dryer plug. Don't do that.

Then when you do plug into that cord, make sure it's plugged in good and not hanging down and almost falling out. You might need to support it with a box or stool or bucket.

Then you;ll need a adapter. Walmart or just about anyone has them.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Camco-Pow...apter/23500675

Your questions:

No as long as you do it correctly.

You don't have to. I use mine all the time with the fridge on shore power, which is what hooking up with the plug is called. I don't usually use my furnace. It doesn't pull alot of current so it'll be no big deal.

Most likely not. There are things like the longer the cord is, the bigger it has to be to overcome current loss. That gets deep. Hopefully its a 10 or 12 gauge wire cord and the ends are in good shape.

None. Your rv works on house current. Just remember, longer cords, loose connections equals more heat and current draw. More heat and current draw makes breakers trip.

I think you'll be fine. Your talking about using heat so your not going to use the AC. That's what draws it all. The fridge and furnace use hardly nothing.

Make sure you have access to the breaker for the plug you'll be using and you know where it is. If it trips in the middle of the night you would want to be able to reset it.
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 11:42 AM   #5

We routinely keep our 5th wheel, and two TTs that came before it, plugged in to a 110v outlet on the outside of the house. When we're not camping we often use the camper as a TV/ hangout room, and we can run the fridge on electric along with all the lights, furnace, and microwave. We use a 20 amp circuit with a short, heavy duty extension cord plugged into an outside outlet on the house. I think you'll be fine.
Camperdawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 12:06 PM   #6

Assuming it is a good 110 Vac circuit and you have the appropriate 30 to 20 Amp adapter, go for it. On a TT as new as yours, the circuit breakers, GFI's and thermal overloads will protect the TT components

If concerned it is a good 110 Vac source, pick up a small surge protector at the local RV, farm, or Amazon store to verify that it is a good 110 Vac circuit.

To know what TT circuits can be used while on the extension cord, a 110 Vac meter can be had from the same store as above that plugs into one of the TT outlets. As long as the meter stays above 107ish Vac, anything being used (refrigerator, furnace, C-pap) will be fine. Ideally, I want at least 110 Vac before starting the air conditioner or microwave and usually cannot use both at the same time. Each by themselves will pull the voltage down to 107 Vac on a long extension cord.

I use a meter like this when I have little concern (cousins house) to check the extension cord before plugging in. It gives a couple line diagnostics, but more importantly the voltage available from the cord. It is then plugged into an inside outlet so that usage can be monitored.

https://www.amazon.com/Prime-Product...+voltage+meter

If staying somewhere less familiar (RV park/campground), I first connect a surge protector like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Surge-Guard-4...urge+protector
Ndrorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 12:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmrad View Post
In a few days we are going to be visiting a cousin who lives on a farm. She said they have a heavy duty all weather extension cord that we can use to plug our TT into an electric socket just inside their garage/barn. She said nothing else is on that circuit. What exactly is a 'heavy duty all-weather extension cord"? It may be 240V, being a farm, used for a welder or incubator or heater or who knows what. You need to find out the voltage and current rating of the breaker it's on.

We have a 30 amp TT. We have 2 batteries. Our refrigerator can run on electric or gas. A refrigerator only takes a couple of amps to run normally, and a bit more to defrost itself, but it's still pretty trivial.

1. Will plugging into house current (110) screw up anything in the TT. Same 120V 60Hz stuff you get from a power pedestal an an RV park.

2. If we do this we should still switch our refrigerator to gas shouldn't we? Should we ever try to run our refrigerator on electricity when plugged into house current? It seems like the refrigerator would be too much, especially when the furnace kicks on? 30A is a lot of power when the loads are furnace (probably primarily just blower load) and refrigerator.

3. Will it overload the heavy duty extension cord when the furnace kicks on if just running the furnace and c-pap machine? We have no idea how many amps the c-pap uses. Depends on how heavy the cord is. It should say on the cord itself what the wire gauge is; 10 gauge for 30A, as a general rule, but it's probably less than that.

4. What other consequences could plugging into house current cause? None come to mind unless the voltage is wrong, unless the cord is extremely long and light, which can cause unacceptable voltage drop at the furnace motor leads.

No reason not to, as long as what's available is adequate to your needs. But even a 15A circuit will most likely run the heat (gas fired w/ electric blower) and fridge and a CPAP.

FWIW, I use my FIL's RV circuit at his house to power my boat in the winter when they're gone with the RV. Opposite but the same.
KanzKran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 12:23 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What you have to understand is that only the air cond., microwave, refer and anything plugged into an outlet run on 110V. The refer only if set to AC. Everything else including the furnace and lights are 12V and run off the battery. The battery is maintained by the converter which requires you to be connected to 110V to. So assuming you have the correct outlet and plug adapter you definitely want to be plugged in.

Glenn
Old 10-24-2018, 12:32 PM   #9

Fridge AC circuit uses a 5A fuse on circuit board.....so very little AC power demand

Furnace uses 12V DC power & propane.......NO AC Power
Converter recharges battery using AC Power

IF garage outlet is your standard household outlet you will need the 30A to 15A adapter cord
Plug your 30A RV cord into adapter then plug adapter into extension cord.........you will be limited to 15A total

If garage outlet is anything else......you will not plug into it UNTIL you can verify that it is only 120V and not 240V
30A 120V----1 Hot, 1 Neutral, 1 Ground

30A 240V......2 Hots, 1 Neutral (some are wired 2 Hots, 1 Ground-----point is 2 HOTS)

Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 12:47 PM   #10

Wanted to reiterate, Make sure the plug your cousin wants you to use,, is NOT 220 volts. The size of a dryer or welder receptacle is similar to a 30 amp RV plug but the blade configuration will be different. Your TT plug shouldn't fit. That is, if someone didn't come along and replace the receptacle with the wrong one. Bottom line, it would probably be best to verify that the receptacle is 120 volts before plugging in.

You'll need 12 volts to run lights, frig, propane heater fan, and TV. A 25 foot long 14 gauge extension cord running from a standard 15 amp receptacle in good shape, will probably work fine to power the converter and battery charger, which gives you the 12 volts. The frig does draw a few more amps in electric mode but i'd bet it would run fine. I wouldn't try to run the AC or a portable space heater with extension cord configuration.
Old 10-24-2018, 02:11 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
You should be OK as long as your not running heavy loads like the A/C unit or electric space heater.

Your frig will do OK as will your converter that supplies 12 volts.

have a good time.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric