Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-22-2013, 07:38 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Questions

Hi again,

We're getting closer to getting our feet wet with diesel and rubber. Have some questions and would appreciate some feedback. Thanks in advance for your input.

1. Who provides best/worst RV insurance

2. What’s insurance average per $K

3. How difficult if at all to find RV space for 40 plus coach

4. How expensive is extended warranty on used coach

5. For 2 people is a 10 gallon propane/electric water sufficient

6. To what low temperatures are heat pump units effective

7. What is your average annual maintenance and up keep cost

9. How available is internet access. Are there any ways to gain access to the internet other than cellular

10. Where do you have most of your maintenance done

11. Other than fuel what’s the biggest repetitive cost when RVing

12. What’s the average RV park cost for a 40 ft. coach

O
wingrider07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2013, 02:50 AM   #2

Foretravel Owners Club
My take on your questions

1-No idea as it is in with our business package

2-No Idea

3-Have a 36', no issues, brother has a 45', he does not seem to have issues

4-Never buy a warranty package,

5-10 Gal heater, more than enough, most seem to be 6 gal

6-About 35f, when my two seem to need the Aqua Hot system.

7-No Idea

9-WIFI seems to be many places, I use the 4G Verizon, like it

10-I do the oil change, grease job, wheel bearing oil level checks otherwise it goes to the Factory for any thing, very very rare.

11-Food, Rreally, the upgrades, changing many things inside and outside to make me happy, like a $25K paint job, light changes, nothing is too good for my toy, would guess have spent about $50-60K not needed, just wanted.

12-Seems about $25 & up to $150 at a wannabee, impress yourself place.
Me, Im a happy camper at wally's, truck stops, rest areas, I am more of a traveler than a parker, best place I paid was Custer State Park, Black Hills, SD, $24 I think. Near Mt Rushmore. I could spend a lot more time in that area,

Enjoy, you can not take it with you as the kids will have it spent before your cold.
Dave M
Genset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:21 AM   #3
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
1. We use BlueSky Ins, which i believe is a relatively new kid on the block for RV insurance. We are not full-timers so the rates will be much cheaper than for actual fulltiming. There are others just make sure that they are an rv speciality orientated in their coverage. I will, under NO circumstances, use Progressive Insurance as the only thing that's progressive is their yearly rate increases. No accidents/claims in 5 yrs but the rates doubled. Their explanation-you are paying for others accidents. I check rates every year and will not hesitate to change if neccessary. If you think they are your friend, your living in a fantasy world.
RV Insurance | Motorhome Insurance | Blue Sky RV Insurance
Choose Explorer RV for RV insurance, commercial vehicle insurance and more.
RV Advantage | FCIS Insurance - RV Insurance, Motor Home Insurance, Travel Trailer Insurance

http://www.gilbertrvinsurance.com/
Miller Insurance Agency
2. Unk
3. Most rv parks can accommedate. Older local/state/federal parks may, on occassion, may not.
4. Extended service plans are a rip off. Set aside a certain amount "every" month into a maintenance fund. Some use the "peace of mind excuse", but so will a monthly set aside amount.
5. 10-12 gal is very good and is becoming the norm of larger Class A's. You still have to remember that extended shower times are not an option. Go to the cg showers if you must. We use both lp and ac when showering or during other periods of high hot water usuage. Common sense will guide you.
6. Ours work efficiently down to the mid/upper 30's before having to either supplement with the lp furnance or a ceramic type portable heater. Just be cognizant of the outside temps and remember that the plumbing in the understorage areas need heat of some type when it gets into the upper 30s or cooler.
7. Whether you do some of the more common maintenance items yourself,(oil change, filters, fuel filters, antifreeze- some are done every year others every 2 yrs, etc) can vary the cost. We spend between $600-1500 at times. When tires are needed, $450-550 per tire can be added to yearly costs, thus having a regular monthly setback amount is a necessity.
8. What happened to your #8 question?
9. Wi-Fi is generally available at most "public" cg's and an occasional local/state/federal cg but can be hit/miss on reliability; one of my biggest complaints. If you advertise it, make sure it works right or take it out. You may need/want a good cellular package if reliability is concern.
10. Most of our maintence is done by an authorized Cummins-Onan/Spartan shop. As stated earlier, you may want to do do more of this yourself to save some bucks.
11. Food/cg fees. Staying longer at one spot, (1 week or longer), will usually translate into a somewhat cheaper rate.
12. $30-40 daily. Most parks that we've stayed at charge the same regardless of length. On rare occassions, some charge more for 50a service vs 30a service.

Now go rving and enjoy yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingrider07 View Post
Hi again,

We're getting closer to getting our feet wet with diesel and rubber. Have some questions and would appreciate some feedback. Thanks in advance for your input.

9. How available is internet access. Are there any ways to gain access to the internet other than cellular

O
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 01:02 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Great questions all. To get the best responses I suggest to use the search feature - many/all the questions are commonly discussed. After researching, ask specific questions remaining.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 01:57 PM   #5
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
Great questions all. To get the best responses I suggest to use the search feature - many/all the questions are commonly discussed. After researching, ask specific questions remaining.

Like that's going to happen. It's much easier to ask and hopefully receive than do that.
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 02:31 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I've taken a stab at your questions:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingrider07 View Post
Hi again,

THERE SEEM TO BE A WIDE MIX OF OPINIONS ON THIS WITH MANY FOLKS BOUNCING FROM ONE COMPANY TO ANOTHER EVERY COUPLE OF YEARS DUE TO INCREASING RATES. I USE PROGRESSIVE AND HAVE BEEN MARGINALLY HAPPY WITH THEM.

I'LL LET OTHERS CHIME IN HERE BECAUSE I USE FULL TIMERS INSURANCE AND IT'S CLOSE TO $2k/YEAR FOR A 40 DP 2007

NOT HARD AT ALL UNLESS YOU ARE LOOKING IN AN OLDER PARK, OR A STATE/NATIONAL PARK. IT'S POSSIBLE IN THOSE PLACES BUT NOT AS EASY.

PRETTY DARNED EXPENSIVE. I HAD A POLICY WITH EASY CARE THAT I BOUGHT ALONG WITH THE COACH WHEN IT WAS NEW. IT JUST EXPIRED AND THEY WANTED ABOUT $7500 FOR THREE YEARS AS I RECALL.

NO PROBLEM. WE FULL TIME WITH THAT VERY HEATER AND HARDLY EVER RUN OUT OF HOT WATER. USING BOTH THE ELECTRIC AND PROPANE HELPS WITH ITS RECOVERY TIME.

I'LL LET OTHERS CHIME IN HERE SINCE MY HEAT PUMP WILL HANDLE MUCH COLDER TEMPS THAN I WILL.

USE OUR SEARCH FEATURE AND YOU'LL FIND A NUMBER OF THREADS WITH GREAT DETAIL ON THIS. IN GENERAL TERMS, OUR ANNUAL LUBE/OIL/FILTER (M1) RUNS AROUND $325. EVERY FEW YEARS A MORE DETAILED SERVICE IS REQUIRED AND THAT CAN RUN >$1000. TIRES NEED REPLACING AROUND EVERY 7 YEARS OR SO. THAT CAN ADD UP TO NEARLY A GRAND PER YEAR. AND THEN THERE'S THE COST OF SOMETHING ACTUALLY BREAKING.

PARK WIFI CAN BE VERY FRUSTRATING. IF YOU'RE ONLY NEEDING TO CHECK EMAIL OCCASIONALLY IT MIGHT BE OK BUT IT NEVER WORKED FOR US. WE USE CELLULAR TO A WIRELESS ROUTER IN THE COACH. THERE ARE SATELLITE OPTIONS AVAILABLE BUT THEY CAN BE VERY COSTLY.

FREIGHTLINER HAS A SERIES OF RV SPECIALTY SHOPS THEY CALL "OASIS" AND THAT'S WHERE MY COACH HAS BEEN SERVICED ALL BUT ONE TIME WHEN I TRIED SPEEDCO.

CG FEES... AND NATURALLY THE COST OF THE COACH. EITHER ONE IS MAKING A PAYMENT AND PAYING INTEREST OR THEY PAID CASH FOR A DEPRECIATING ASSET AND DEAL WITH THE LOST OPPORTUNITY COST.

TOUGH ONE. IN POPULAR AREAS DURING PEAK TIMES YOU MIGHT BE LOOKING AT $50 OR MORE. NATIONAL AVERAGE IS PROBABLY CLOSER TO $35 BUT IT'S ALL OVER THE MAP.

O

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:50 PM   #7

I'm a former car dealer and when I bought a used 40' dp I bought the warranty. I consider it a good value when you consider the cost of a diesel engine or Allison transmission. It cost me about 4% of the purchase price, that's cheap insurance.
Rusty years is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 11:55 AM   #8

Bottom Line, If Someone offers an ext. Warranty, take it, one thing to make sure thats in writing is that the said Warranty covers any and all gaskets. Major loop hole for some of the warranty comp. Best ins around is knowing if you should break down, God Forbid, you have a little piece of mind.
04 Dolphin 6375 LX W-24 Chassis #434136
"The Journey is our Destination" Delmar, Md.
Dmorgan6375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:25 PM   #9
doc

Appalachian Campers
12. We traveled the west for a few years and it seemed that 40 was the average cost but sometimes a nice spot in a nice place could be had for mid 30's. This was with FHU and 50 amp.
A week could/can be had for less money - when you hit a 'destination' venue then you are likely to pay more. KOA seems to charge more for less square footage in their sites.\
50 dollars is just too much for a place to park and sleep for a night in my opinion
doc is offline   Reply With Quote