Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-10-2016, 07:30 AM   #1

questions about shore power

I just picked up a used class c which has one ac. I want to make sure on what I should do about shore power.

It currently is plugged into 110 volts, probably 20 amp by way of an adapter.

We are running the AC and refridgerator. sometimes lights.

Is the 110 volts ok for now.

I guess I need a 30 amp plug installed about 50 to 80 feet from my home. I have instructions for doing that but do I really need it. I have 110 volts nearby where I will park it but it also runs a sump pump.

Your suggestions are appreciated.
olustee bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2016, 07:38 AM   #2

May not be good for your AC unit and the small cord may be getting hot.
I use a 30amp at home.
Check the water level in your batteries.
timetogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 07:40 AM   #3

My only experience is with RVs that want 50 amp, but I'll take a stab at it. Your "probably 20 amp" might be 15amp. Either way, 15 or 20 amp if it is not being shared with other draws is probably okay for keeping the batteries charged and lights on. AC plus other stuff is pushing it. You would be better off with the 30 amp it wants.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 08:45 AM   #4

I am currently plugged into a 110 outlet that may be on a fifty amp line. I am not sure. They currently have their mh on the 50 amp plug. Would the 110 volt plug posssibly on the 50 amp breaker and if so, can I run the ac.

I am using the 30 amp extension cord for the mh.
Old 07-10-2016, 12:40 PM   #5

If your receptacle looks like this, then it is likely to be 20 Amp. Otherwise, probably 15A.

I wouldn't recommend using the same circuit for the sump pump and the RV. Sump pumps are normally on a dedicated circuit.
donnandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 12:52 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by olustee bus View Post
I am currently plugged into a 110 outlet that may be on a fifty amp line. I am not sure. They currently have their mh on the 50 amp plug. Would the 110 volt plug posssibly on the 50 amp breaker and if so, can I run the ac.

I am using the 30 amp extension cord for the mh.
Here is some info on how the different plugs look and work..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1468176698534.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	132617   Click image for larger version

Name:	1468176717751.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	132618  

twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 01:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnandon View Post
If your receptacle looks like this, then it is likely to be 20 Amp. Otherwise, probably 15A.

I wouldn't recommend using the same circuit for the sump pump and the RV. Sump pumps are normally on a dedicated circuit.
I am going to run a dedicated 30 amp out to the motorhome. I was concerned about the sump pump starting.
Old 07-10-2016, 01:42 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by olustee bus View Post
I just picked up a used class c which has one ac. I want to make sure on what I should do about shore power.
It currently is plugged into 110 volts, probably 20 amp by way of an adapter.
We are running the AC and refridgerator. sometimes lights.
Is the 110 volts ok for now.
I guess I need a 30 amp plug installed about 50 to 80 feet from my home. I have instructions for doing that but do I really need it. I have 110 volts nearby where I will park it but it also runs a sump pump.
Your suggestions are appreciated.
olustee bus
If you need to run the air conditioner I suggest you install that 30A 120V receptacle.....(running your RV A/C on only a 20A circuit s is not good for the air conditioner).
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 01:57 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Really depends what power your AC is drawing. Mine is on a 20Amp breaker in my coach so probably drawings around 15 amps if Fleetwood followed NEC when sizing the breaker. The power drawn by the converter/charger is nill and this is what powers the 12V lights.

If you draw too much amperage your house breaker will trip. I am not sure how being connected to a 20 amp circuit would hurt your air conditioner. One thing that will hurt it is low voltage as in voltage drop by having too long a cable.

I have found that ai can run the AC, the fridge and the converter, but nothing else. If I need to vacuum I turn the AC off. Don't run the Microwave or the toaster or the coffee pot unless you turn the AC off.

Just for clarity all the RV's I am aware of run off of 120VAC power. The different plugs are simply for the higher amperage. I know the 50A has the capability for 240 single phase but do the the 50Amp rigs use this?
Old 07-10-2016, 03:07 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim myers View Post
I know the 50A has the capability for 240 single phase but do the the 50Amp rigs use this?
tim
Most 50A RVs use 2 120V legs/lines of electricity when plugged into a 50A receptacle.
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 03:34 PM   #11

Quote:
Really depends what power your AC is drawing. Mine is on a 20Amp breaker in my coach so probably drawings around 15 amps if Fleetwood followed NEC when sizing the breaker. The power drawn by the converter/charger is nill and this is what powers the 12V lights.

If you draw too much amperage your house breaker will trip. I am not sure how being connected to a 20 amp circuit would hurt your air conditioner. One thing that will hurt it is low voltage as in voltage drop by having too long a cable.

I have found that ai can run the AC, the fridge and the converter, but nothing else. If I need to vacuum I turn the AC off. Don't run the Microwave or the toaster or the coffee pot unless you turn the AC off.

Just for clarity all the RV's I am aware of run off of 120VAC power. The different plugs are simply for the higher amperage. I know the 50A has the capability for 240 single phase but do the the 50Amp rigs use this?

A 50 amp RV hooked up to a correctly wired 50 amp pedestal has the correct configuration for 240 VAC service. A few high end motorhomes use this for a 240 VAC dryer and some for a 240 electric range. Most RVs use the available power as 2 legs of 120 VAC power for a total of 100 amps at 120.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 05:20 PM   #12

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:

Exactly! I run my air quite frequently on 20 amp receptacle. Just shut off air before running something with big amp draw. Currently sitting in pa. Running off house 20 amp. I have AV on, frig running, ice maker and tv on. No problems. Now if I wanted to microwave something, I would have to shut Ac off first.
Sagamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 05:29 PM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
A 50 amp RV hooked up to a correctly wired 50 amp pedestal has the correct configuration for 240 VAC service. A few high end motorhomes use this for a 240 VAC dryer and some for a 240 electric range. Most RVs use the available power as 2 legs of 120 VAC power for a total of 100 amps at 120.
Steve is right, ours is one of the few that has a 220/240 volt dryer. Everything else is 110/120.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 05:37 PM   #14

make sure you are using minimum 10 gauge wire and install a line voltage meter you need 120 volts plus or minus 10% or you will be burning up motors and parts.
https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Line-...-p/55-9420.htm
the meters just plugs in and test voltage where ever you go.
beaverfever is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power, shore power