Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-10-2022, 05:39 PM   #43

Never an issue at my house. All dump stations do the same.
LarryinID is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2022, 06:16 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcg View Post
You'll be fine but if you want to be sure the initial surge doesn't pop your hose out of the opening, get one of these that will hold everything in place.

You probablly don't need the clear elbow as your existing hose will probablly lock onto the top of the threaded thing.

Beats putting a rock on top.
Thanks. My camco hose has a similar fitting on it. But still might use the rock just in case.
Old 04-10-2022, 06:18 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbeasley View Post
Yes we used the same set up for 20 years. If you have a newer house you probably have a back flow preventer in the line to the house. We have dumped into our 4" pipe to our septic when the house shower, washer and everything else was running inside the house.
Unfortunately no backflow preventer, which I really wished it had when we had a sewer backup about 10 years ago. But I think I'll be fine regardless.
Old 04-10-2022, 06:21 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWW View Post
My only question for you is that you installed the clean out... so you should know the answer. Was the clean out put in to clean the line from the clean out to the street or was it put in to clean from the clean out to the house? If it is the latter then you could have an issue as you are directing the flow toward the house and the volume has to essentially turn around and flow back the way it came. Perhaps you put this clean in for the specific purpose of using it with the RV? If so, you are very smart and should have not problems at all.
It curves toward the street (see post 19 above). Should be fine.
Old 04-10-2022, 08:37 PM   #47

Dump it, dump it..........

Video and post it.

Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 08:37 PM   #48

The average person has no idea of how the underground sewer pipe is installed, ran or connected to the main sewer line. Over the years sewer codes change. materials used change. Maybe the workmanship was not the best. Also the pipes could have settled creating a sage causing a problem when dumping a rv black tank.

Just because you have never heard of anyone dumping a large three inch house into a four inch line does not mean it has never happened. Why does a four inch line get clogged from a small discharge from a toilet.

The best thing to do is use a macerator pump which will grind and liquify the black water and then pump it to the outside clean out. Most motor homes have a common drain connection for the two tanks. Trailers are some times have two drains but they still could be connected together. A portable rv macerator pump will grind up all of the solids and then pump to the sewer cleanout. Follow the mfg recommendations of the size of the discharge hose. Increase the size of the discharge hose for longer runs. My current outside sewer cleanout is 75 feet from the rv with about a 2 foot rise. I have used the same pump on two different motor homes since 2001. The cost of the macerator pump would be allot cheaper in the long run. I have used the same pump on for over since 2001.
Beowulf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 08:42 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beowulf2 View Post
The average person has no idea of how the underground sewer pipe is installed, ran or connected to the main sewer line. Over the years sewer codes change. materials used change. Maybe the workmanship was not the best. Also the pipes could have settled creating a sage causing a problem when dumping a rv black tank.

Just because you have never heard of anyone dumping a large three inch house into a four inch line does not mean it has never happened. Why does a four inch line get clogged from a small discharge from a toilet.

The best thing to do is use a macerator pump which will grind and liquify the black water and then pump it to the outside clean out. Most motor homes have a common drain connection for the two tanks. Trailers are some times have two drains but they still could be connected together. A portable rv macerator pump will grind up all of the solids and then pump to the sewer cleanout. Follow the mfg recommendations of the size of the discharge hose. Increase the size of the discharge hose for longer runs. My current outside sewer cleanout is 75 feet from the rv with about a 2 foot rise. I have used the same pump on two different motor homes since 2001. The cost of the macerator pump would be allot cheaper in the long run. I have used the same pump on for over since 2001.
Because toilets dump 1.5 gallons when flushed
That 1.5 gallons has to carry STUFF from the toilet down the hose drain line to sewer line....distance/low volume/clogs happen

RV dumps 30,40, 50 etc gallons
Weight/volume move things along nicely
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 08:43 PM   #50

Sewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellibe View Post
I know this topic has been discussed multiple times, and I've read a couple of the lengthy threads. I'm not looking to re-hash those wide-ranging discussions; I just have a couple of specific questions for those who dump into a sewer cleanout.
EXPERIENCED BASED OPINION:

My home situated on a rural two acre lot was built in the 1960s. The original design was a typical 1200 gallon septic tank with 800' of field lines. In the late 1980s a communiity sewer system was developed and a 4" sewer line was tied in my sewer line, the old septic line capped and abandoned. The cleanout is located near the rear of the house. We contracted with a local licensed, bonded contractor that pulled the necessary permits (State of Louisiana, Parish of Caddo, no city involved). Inepections were made by appropiate authorities.

The installation consisted a verticale drop of about 3' and a "T" that directs the flow in a particular direction (sorry don't know proper name, I am not a plummer). My current RV has 60 gallon gray water and 40 gallon black water. With full black and greay (very rare), I dump the black first followed by grey. If memory serves me (?) Sewer runs on a 2⁰ fall. So for it to get into to my house, it has to run up hill.

In 15 years at this home it has never happened.
BruceDeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 10:06 PM   #51

Is there a funnel type attachment that would hold the larger dump hose securely to the smaller home sewer opening? We just bought an RV, haven't made our first dump yet, but our home opening is smaller than the dump hose ending. Thanks.
ViperHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 10:31 PM   #52

I have a clean out on my driveway that came with the home when we bought it 3 years ago. I like dumping at our last stop before bringing the RV home. So, I have never used my cleanout until I got Covid. I slept in the RV on and off for 2 weeks to stay away from the family. I knew I was going to need to dump eventually. I was going to buy a garbage disposal and make a macerator and dump with a 3/4 garden hose. My distance is only 30 feet from the RV. The thought of making this macerator appealed to me because you can pump up to 150 feet and up to 7 feet high they say. I just couldn't bring myself to invest in it as I have never had a need for it. Then I was going to buy three 10 ft sections of 3 inch pvc pipe and fittings, but the price of pipe has skyrocketed, so I just bought two 20ft sections of normal sewer hose, and a couple fittings and dumped it here. I had the same concern as you so I just opened the valve part way and checked things out. Like dumping at the camp site.
Mile Marker 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 04:04 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWW View Post
My only question for you is that you installed the clean out... so you should know the answer. Was the clean out put in to clean the line from the clean out to the street or was it put in to clean from the clean out to the house?

The clean out to the street. There's also one under the house.
Argosy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 04:48 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Dump it, dump it..........

Video and post it.

Camping trip currently scheduled for next week. Please stand by...
Old 04-11-2022, 04:50 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceDeville View Post
EXPERIENCED BASED OPINION:

My home situated on a rural two acre lot was built in the 1960s. The original design was a typical 1200 gallon septic tank with 800' of field lines. In the late 1980s a communiity sewer system was developed and a 4" sewer line was tied in my sewer line, the old septic line capped and abandoned. The cleanout is located near the rear of the house. We contracted with a local licensed, bonded contractor that pulled the necessary permits (State of Louisiana, Parish of Caddo, no city involved). Inepections were made by appropiate authorities.

The installation consisted a verticale drop of about 3' and a "T" that directs the flow in a particular direction (sorry don't know proper name, I am not a plummer). My current RV has 60 gallon gray water and 40 gallon black water. With full black and greay (very rare), I dump the black first followed by grey. If memory serves me (?) Sewer runs on a 2⁰ fall. So for it to get into to my house, it has to run up hill.

In 15 years at this home it has never happened.
Great experience, thanks for sharing.
Old 04-11-2022, 05:39 AM   #56

From an old plumber. The fitting shown in the lead in to the post is what we call a "Combo"- a wye with a 45 in one fitting instead of 2 fittings. It is a directional fitting and must be installed with the outlet-"spigot end" going toward the sewer main. Some plumbers use a "Tee" fitting so if it clogs you can cable both directions. Only problem with a T is it is NON Directional and leaves a big blob of STUFF sitting there till the line flushes it thru. Plumbing always has a YES and NO answer.

Tags
hose