Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-17-2020, 05:57 AM   #1

RANT Crappy campgrounds, I'm ready to quit

Not sure if this is a unique case, but last week we stayed in a place that has me ready to sell the trailer. Place was in western PA, family owned and thought it would be nice. Turned into a dump quickly. For starters ALL the COVID rules were being ignored, no enforcing of mask wearing in the store and bathrooms. That's minor and can be ignored. But the sites were small and so far from level. The bubble was maxed to one side and they said that was fine. I rejected that opinion but did not have enough leveling blocks to get it done.
They had to bring a cement block to get one side high enough to be within one line of level, then the trailer step was 18" above ground. Then they brought a wood step that went under our trailer steps. Nice touch but why not just level the sites. It was a gravel base, so not a tough job.
The sites are so small we were less than 3 feet to the site behind us and the "space" we had to the next site was about 10 feet. Water feed was less than a foot from the electrical box, which I find unsafe.
Then is got fun! Apparently this place is party central on Friday. Stereo wars, fireworks and more smoky fires than one could count. We both have minor asthma so we ended up in the camper with the AC running. Even then two days after leaving we still have sore throats and everything we wore had to be washed to get rid of the smoke smell.
We have Rved since the 80s, and got back into it last year after a decade off. But right now I am ready to sell the rig, if this is what we have to deal with for 45 bucks a night we will stay home.
Is this what commercial campgrounds have evolved into?
TIME2CAMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2020, 06:00 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIME2CAMP View Post
Not sure if this is a unique case, but last week we stayed in a place that has me ready to sell the trailer. Place was in western PA, family owned and thought it would be nice. Turned into a dump quickly. For starters ALL the COVID rules were being ignored, no enforcing of mask wearing in the store and bathrooms. That's minor and can be ignored. But the sites were small and so far from level. The bubble was maxed to one side and they said that was fine. I rejected that opinion but did not have enough leveling blocks to get it done.
They had to bring a cement block to get one side high enough to be within one line of level, then the trailer step was 18" above ground. Then they brought a wood step that went under our trailer steps. Nice touch but why not just level the sites. It was a gravel base, so not a tough job.
The sites are so small we were less than 3 feet to the site behind us and the "space" we had to the next site was about 10 feet. Water feed was less than a foot from the electrical box, which I find unsafe.
Then is got fun! Apparently this place is party central on Friday. Stereo wars, fireworks and more smoky fires than one could count. We both have minor asthma so we ended up in the camper with the AC running. Even then two days after leaving we still have sore throats and everything we wore had to be washed to get rid of the smoke smell.
We have Rved since the 80s, and got back into it last year after a decade off. But right now I am ready to sell the rig, if this is what we have to deal with for 45 bucks a night we will stay home.
No. 😉
Old 06-17-2020, 06:05 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIME2CAMP View Post
Name of the campground please, to help others maybe avoid a bad experience.
Old 06-17-2020, 06:09 AM   #4

If you're looking for campgrounds that adhere to Covid-19 practices, sorry but you're just not going to find many. We have been to a number of private and state campgrounds and have seen NO ONE with face masks or practicing social distancing. Restrooms, etc. are open and in most of those, we could never find hand sanitizer or even soap for hand cleaning. Of course, we are in Florida so the Virus is no big deal here. Chuck
chuckbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 06:13 AM   #5

NOT representative of most of the campgrounds we've stayed at. Checking out campground reviews before booking may help you to avoid parks like this.
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 06:21 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Is this the first campground you have used in a number of years? If not, I wonder why you let this experience sour you based on other, more positive, experiences. If you are new, please check CampgroundReviews.com and see what the reviews for that specific campground says. If it doesn’t adequately show your experience, make sure to add yours. My pet peeve is not having enough space around me, and I look at the campground map to get a feel for that. Add in a satellite view from any mapping app, and I usually know what I am getting. My experience has been that campgrounds that cater to families with children have more noise and campground smoke than those that don’t. Keys to look for at lots of themed weekends, pools, big playgrounds, etc. The activity pictures usually show lots of kids too. When we had kids, we actively searched those out. Now the kids are grown, we avoid them like the plague. I like kids, and the usual noise of happy kids playing doesn’t bother me, but I don’t like it at night.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 06:27 AM   #7

Like others have said, a little research goes a long way when choosing a campground. For 1 night stay's, I usually don't care to do to much research, but for long stay's I will google map, check reviews, and even walk the park before paying for the site.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 06:34 AM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Please post a review of the campground on their website and other camping related review sites. That would warn others of what to expect there.
egwilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 06:58 AM   #9

Not all campgrounds are the same. Not all hotels are the same.

Try elsewhere.
Old 06-17-2020, 07:05 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Out of hundreds of rv journeys over 25+ years, including recent times of re-openings, we have rarely experienced places and times as you've described. I do read reviews on various places, before booking a spot at a place I've never been, and I keep in mind that competitors of those rv parks are known to write a bad review or two, to hurt their competitor. I realize that happens with other business reviews too. It's probably not common. But, if there are several bad reviews on various websites, I pass on that rv park location. We've stayed in nicer, quieter rv parks with level concrete spots, great power & good water, secure, clean & well maintained and we've stayed in a few places that we'll remember that we won't return to, if we pass that way again. In some small towns around here, there are places for rvs to plug in and set up, and some of those places aren't bad, less costly, though nothing fancy. I've had to use a board or pad under tires at some not-so-level spots. If the spot is as extremely off-level as you described, I ask for another spot, and if I don't get the response I like, I move on. If I lose some booking money in the process, I kind of get some peace of mind by sharing my thoughts in a review on some websites. Mostly, I do not write overly, aggressive, negative reviews, though I am honest about the experience. Another thing about reviews is, with many people, if they have a good experience, they may not think to do a review. Most of the time, with our many experiences, people around us are courteous, friendly and respectful. Most places that we've been, the staff at those places, have been appreciative of our business. At some places, we've even been told to suggest their place to our rv group and friends, as they want more people like us. In some places, I do have a pet peeve that they do their mowing and grooming during a time like weekends, or the grounds crews that they hire are in such a hurry, and there's a concern for our hoses and cords, and an rv where hard effort (and money, if you hire out), was spent to have a clean rv. Weather has a lot to do with that, though, as a good mowing and grooming day may fall on a Thursday or Friday, or weekend, because of rain and storms during the week. I understand that. That's just a minor thing.

I'm sorry that your first return back to RVing was not a good experience. I hope it doesn't discourage you. I, humbly say, try again (at another place, of course). State, county and federal rv spots can be hit and miss, as far as level and grooming. I love those parks, but maybe some further investigation before going, and reading reviews that mention preferable spots, would be a good idea? Some of the public parks like that have websites that show photos of the sites on their websites, and that's helpful. As far as privately owned rv parks, zooming in on Google Earth, or scrolling & panning around through Google Street View can be helpful, in our decisions on whether to book the place or not.

I hope my thoughts have been helpful. I wish you the best and hope you keep exploring. I wish you safe travels and better experiences.

Tom
TomsMaHauL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 07:08 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
I’m sorry but you are rating a campground over their virus protocol?
This has seriously gotten out of hand.

You have a greater chance of dying from a drunk driver hitting you on the open road!
Marksnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 07:40 AM   #12

Are there any reviews on your campground? Did you read them?
frizfreleng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 07:43 AM   #13
US1

While your ideal of camping is peace and quiet, it sounds like the other campers have a different view. Just gotta find a place that’s more to your liking.
Old 06-17-2020, 07:59 AM   #14
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckbear View Post
If you're looking for campgrounds that adhere to Covid-19 practices, sorry but you're just not going to find many. We have been to a number of private and state campgrounds and have seen NO ONE with face masks or practicing social distancing. Restrooms, etc. are open and in most of those, we could never find hand sanitizer or even soap for hand cleaning. Of course, we are in Florida so the Virus is no big deal here. Chuck
I beg to differ with u but the news media is saying that parts of Florida are having a big surge in Covid-19 cases. I sure wouldn't want to be there now.

Tags
campground