Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2020, 03:16 PM   #1

Re-gluing luan to foam

We have an offer down on an older class A. 2002. It has some water damage last year. Were going to get it inspected before finishing the purchase to ensure that the damage is not more extensive than It appears to me.

It looks like the water damaged some trim peices and causes some ceiling luan to delam from the foam. In the area of concern, The ceiling luan is firm, not rotten but you can tell its delaminated when you push on it. Its layme 2 sqft. I was thinking that I should be able to make a small incision, inject an adhesive and brace it. Bracing should be super easy because i can just wedge a 2x4 between the floor and ceiling.

What adhesive would I want to use to re-glue the luan? Would epoxy be ok?
6munro is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2020, 03:21 PM   #2

Plain old construction adhesive, aka Liquid Nails or any of the other brands. Works great on foam, I insulated my house with 4 inch foam sheets and that is what was recommended for use. Still holding up 20 years later.
Agesilaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 03:25 PM   #3

Home Depot has glue specifically for foam board. That might also be safe for the foam you have. Test a small spot first. In the Insulation aisle. Goop it on, then use a scraper / playing card to distribute the glue evenly, then carefully tack the foam into it's proper place and ideally use a laminate roller to roll the foam for good grip on the adhesive.
Old 08-02-2020, 05:24 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agesilaus View Post
Plain old construction adhesive, aka Liquid Nails or any of the other brands. Works great on foam, I insulated my house with 4 inch foam sheets and that is what was recommended for use. Still holding up 20 years later.
In was think about something like this. Ok premium works great on floors. My concern is that it's not viscous stuff and it could be tough making sure that it gets into all the crevices. People use epoxy on delay side walls. That might work but I really don't know how well epoxy works for gluing wood to foam.
Old 08-02-2020, 05:26 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav L View Post
Home Depot has glue specifically for foam board. That might also be safe for the foam you have. Test a small spot first. In the Insulation aisle. Goop it on, then use a scraper / playing card to distribute the glue evenly, then carefully tack the foam into it's proper place and ideally use a laminate roller to roll the foam for good grip on the adhesive.
I will look into this thanks.
Old 08-03-2020, 10:14 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Personally, I would run from an RV with water damage and delaminating siding. The repairs for the delamination can get to be crazy expensive.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 11:26 AM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I would be very concerned about mold forming in the area.

Have it checked out before you proceed. Many issues happen due to leaks you cannot see. Pay some non-interested inspector to check it out. Don't let a dealer or private party tell you it's ok. They don't know.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 01:06 PM   #8

3m makes a headliner adhesive in a spray can I dought you can save the foam i scraped the foam off the luan and the fabric then used the headliner adhesive stuck pretty good ,I first tried clear gorilla glue injecting it under the fabric it held the fabric up but didn't look that well.
Old 08-03-2020, 06:43 PM   #9

From experience with my Itaska, the delamination is likely between the ply layers of plywood because the plywood was not glued to the foam in any way. The foam was Styrofoam which has very little sheer strength and would easily separate from the glue in any event.
If you want to try glueing, epoxy is good because it will not harm the Styrofoam where contact cement of any solvent type adhesive will. It may work for a while, but probably will not last a long time because the foam will fail along the glue line.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 06:52 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Personally, I would run from an RV with water damage and delaminating siding. The repairs for the delamination can get to be crazy expensive.

Ken
The damage is from a previous water leak. Its pretty hard to find an older RV with out atleast something that happened. The previous leak is done but it did cause some delam. Im not afraid of taking on the delam repair myself, i am pretty capable at this kind of thing. I am having an inspector take a look today as I want to ensure that damage is not more extensive than what I have seen though. And look for additional damage that I might not be aware of.
Old 08-04-2020, 07:12 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamfoxy View Post
From experience with my Itaska, the delamination is likely between the ply layers of plywood because the plywood was not glued to the foam in any way. The foam was Styrofoam which has very little sheer strength and would easily separate from the glue in any event.
If you want to try glueing, epoxy is good because it will not harm the Styrofoam where contact cement of any solvent type adhesive will. It may work for a while, but probably will not last a long time because the foam will fail along the glue line.
So I have heard this as a concern from others suggesting the epoxy or other adhesive will fail because the wood is warped and will pull away from the foam again. I think that I would first try the epoxy method on its own for sidewall delamination and if it failed, then maybe run a couple fasteners through to take stress off the luan. It would not be super pretty but this is a 2002. I am getting it for vacations and such, It does not need to be pretty, just functional.

the ceeling delam is a little different. Here, the carpet is attached to luan. the luan is then attached to foam. technically, I could do a combimation of fastener and epoxy here as well but I really dont want to risk making a hole through the roof so it might not be the best idea. I like a low expanind spray foam like they use to re-glue whole luan sheets to roofs (here, I am on on the ceiling side of the luan). its not drooping or anything, but I want to make sure that there is some adhesion a gap filling adhesive might be better so that the problem cant spread.
Old 08-04-2020, 07:55 AM   #12
US1

I replaced all the luan in my bath do to a leaking skylight and used epoxy. Considered all the construction adhesives, but have yet to find one that works to my liking. Using my glassing experience from replacing the transom in my last cruiser and tons of other glass work........
I rolled on a base coat of epoxy on both the styrofoam and the plywood to soak in. Then while still tacky, I trowed on epoxy thickened with cabosil for a complete bond. The thickened epoxy will fill any gaps if there were any. You will pull the foam apart before the bond fails. Many people use West Systems epoxy, which is a great product, as well as way overpriced, I purchase all my resins and products from US Composites.
Old 08-04-2020, 09:08 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by US1 View Post
I replaced all the luan in my bath do to a leaking skylight and used epoxy. Considered all the construction adhesives, but have yet to find one that works to my liking. Using my glassing experience from replacing the transom in my last cruiser and tons of other glass work........
I rolled on a base coat of epoxy on both the styrofoam and the plywood to soak in. Then while still tacky, I trowed on epoxy thickened with cabosil for a complete bond. The thickened epoxy will fill any gaps if there were any. You will pull the foam apart before the bond fails. Many people use West Systems epoxy, which is a great product, as well as way overpriced, I purchase all my resins and products from US Composites.
Thats what I am thinking. How long have you had the solution in place?
Old 08-04-2020, 06:50 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post

Ken
So i had it inspected and we some floor rot and mold as well. I thought about dropping down the offer substantially but ultimately I just had a bad feeling about it and walked away.