Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-28-2012, 01:28 PM   #15

I am going to seal my roof in the spring. I have decided on a product called "Liquid Roof" Hope this works well for me.
CorLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2012, 02:11 PM   #16

HMM.I talked to a person at a factory cant name the name but I tried what they told me and this worked like a charm. Got a gallon bucket and used a quart of mineral spirts and 4 tube 100% silicone white and mixed with a drill and mixer the mixer people use to mix sheet rock. Made a pourable silicone and has worked for 6 years now. no cracking or peeling.Used this on a 1976 alum roof minnie winnie. This is what was recommeded from a factory representive you got the info fron factory chemist. Best stuff ive ever used.
bwd111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 06:37 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
EternaBond will seal it fine/ Be sure and remove any loose caulk and dirt.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 06:46 PM   #18

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi catonine,
I put the EternaBond over the existing seams, caulk, sealant, etc whatever the factory put on the coach. I cleaned everything really well with 303 and a scrub brush. Then snapped a chalk line where the edge of the EternaBond is to go. Then installed the EternaBond. Installed it from the rear to the front of the coach. This was done, so if I do have a seam, the seam will face the rear of the coach.
I'm surprised it stuck to the 303, it's not really a cleaner and does leave a residue. In fact they call it "303 Protectant".
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 07:28 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hi All : Here is my two cents..... Last summer I resealed my previous MH with a fiberglass roof using DICOR, first you have to remove the old stuff with a heat gun and trowel. Try not to burn the fiberglass only heat up the old DICOR enough to fit the trowel under it and remove it. Then apply new DICOR and let it self level, you should do this in a warm space and let the stuff sit for 24 hours. Never under any conditions should you use silicone or any other type of caulking. Dicor is specially formulated to flex with the torquing motion of the vehicle. If you have any questions feel free to ask. It took me 9 hours to seal a 24 ft winnebago roof. I had breakfast lunch dinner and many cups of tea up there. Have fun
Old 02-16-2012, 08:12 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorLynn View Post
I am going to seal my roof in the spring. I have decided on a product called "Liquid Roof" Hope this works well for me.
I've used liquid roof to reseal an EDPM roof, and I highly recommend it. Worked as advertised, easy to apply, looks good when done. Totally eliminates white or black streaks coming off the roof.

As with any other painting or sealing project, prep is key, get it CLEAN first, and let it dry completely before applying anything.

Note liquid roof is for EDPM Rubber roofs only, not for fiberglass, this thread is (or was) talking only about fiberglass roofs.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:31 AM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
The weather here is getting warmer and I will soon be ready to tackle the roof reseal. I am going to mostly use EternaBond and in some place, Dicor. The Dicor I can get at nearby RV dealer but he does not have the Eternabond tape. Where to order it to get the best price? This stuff is kinda pricey, so any savings are good. By using this tape I believe the longlife span of the product will more than offset costs. Thanks for all help.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:35 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
EternaBond will seal it fine/ Be sure and remove any loose caulk and dirt.

Ken
EternaBond is worth every penny. I prefer to remove ALL caulk - once you get stuck in, it's not to bad to remove, taking into consideration that the repair with Eternabond will last a looong time.

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:42 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM68 View Post
I've used liquid roof to reseal an EDPM roof, and I highly recommend it. Worked as advertised, easy to apply, looks good when done. Totally eliminates white or black streaks coming off the roof.

As with any other painting or sealing project, prep is key, get it CLEAN first, and let it dry completely before applying anything.

Note liquid roof is for EDPM Rubber roofs only, not for fiberglass, this thread is (or was) talking only about fiberglass roofs.
i did the research on their site. and it says "liquid roof" is for fiberglass roofs. They also have a product called "rubber roof". Both products were right next to eachother when ordering. hmmmm. i will go look again
Old 02-20-2012, 10:53 AM   #24

ok i went back and read. It says it can be applied to metal, rubber, fiberglass, concrete, fabric and foam. I was not going to coat my whole roof, just, caps and edges. Now i am confused. Should i not use this product?
Old 02-21-2012, 06:56 AM   #25

iRV2 No Limits Club
If all you're going to do is the edges and caps, just use the regular Eternabond and forget the coating. The Eternabond will do a much, much better job than the coating. Amazon generally has the best prices for Eternabond (and shipping is free on orders over $25).
LadyFitz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 08:40 AM   #26

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
When you are done with sealing seams, you might want to coat the roof with an elastomeric roof coating like Kool Seal or Snow Roof. Makes a flexible, clean, white reflective coating for your roof and reduces streaking.

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 04:09 PM   #27

I did mine on my front and back caps just above the gutters, and I just slathered some dicor on it and smeared it in with my finger. I didn't bother removing the old because I was afraid that doing so would expose more of the weakness in the seam. So I decided to leave well enough alone and just dicor the cracked seals. Also have a lot of problems with the cap areas on top. I use a lot of eternabond and lap sealant to get those caps well covered. Im a bit OCD with the seams becuase my coach is a little older, and I full time in it, I have to stay on it. But for the original post, as I said I have cap problems, so I have run my eternabond over the shoulder and down to the gutter so if you were standing on the ground and looking up you'd just see a white strip 4" of eternabond coming off the roof. As for painting it, my clear coat is well gone and the shoulder of my rig is just gray'ed out, so Im thinking that Im just going to spray it with some grayish paint and call it good. Anything to break up the unsightly contrast of white on gray is good with me. I guess feel that if you are at the point of cracking in the seals and you're using sealant after the factory stuff is worn out, then you can't expect anything to be like it was new.
Another thing, dicor lap sealant probably isn't the "best" stuff out there. I don't know what the best is. But my RV repair guy really likes it and he taught me how to maintain my roof with it so I just go with that. But the more I full time, the more lessons I learn so Im always looking for the next best thing.
Old 11-11-2015, 07:46 PM   #28

Tiffin Owners Club
Eterabond comes in colors. I use white on my white roof and black on the side rails where it is black in color. It works a whole lot better than anything else and lasts a long time. I run a bead of dicor along the edge of the Eternabond because I feel better. The only place I don't use it is around curves because its hard to make straight tape curve. Most things I can overlap like around the skylight. Once done I don't have to worry about it for years. I like that! I got mine from Amazon. Best price for a big roll and they carry various widths of it too.
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof