Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-28-2017, 06:17 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ready to buy, too many options...

Hi everyone,
My first post.

I'm within a year or two of retiring and have been considering a class a gas coach to do some traveling and perhaps a bit of snowbirding. We live in Michigan where winters can be brutal.

I've had two towables in past years, a small trailer and a larger 5th-wheel so I'm not a complete novice but would be new to class a. I've spent about four months researching brands and floorplans and would certainly be interested in any opinions from the veterans.

Here are my basic requirements: gas, 33-38 ft, large accessible shower, residential fridge for longer stays, $120-140K, opposing slides in the LR, and the hardest one so far - comfortable sleeping for two additional, retirement-age adults (read - I don't think a bunk over driver seat with ladder would work for older bladders ;>). I might add that I'm a "quality over bling" person.

I didn't expect to find a "perfect" match, but also didn't expect it to be so hard to at least hit my core requirements. I have to admit I'm a spreadsheet guy and did a lot of comparison, scoring, and number crunching besides looking at actual coaches.

Here are my contenders right now:
- Allegro 34PA: roomy, 4 slides, quality but pricey
- Sightseer 36Z: 2 bath, a bit big for me, questionable sleeper sofa and no table option.
- Bounder 35P: lots of features, again questionable sofa for sleeping
- Challenger 37YT: big bath and BR, tilt-bed, but long and no table option

I'm trying to narrow this list down to two so I can do some real shopping. I've found forums with complaints about all of these brands and models and also good reviews. I know different people can have different results with the same unit but there must be some general trends or history that could guide a choice.

I've been looking mainly at new 2017/18 but would consider a year old coach. And I wouldn't be offended to hear I can't meet my requirements with the budget I have. I'd love to have the quiet of a diesel but not the maintenance or cost.

Thanks for reading my long post and again I appreciate your insights.
USTrekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2017, 07:23 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
"comfortable sleeping for two additional, retirement-age adults"
Will you have 4 people traveling all the time?
"I didn't expect to find a "perfect" match, but also didn't expect it to be so hard to at least hit my core requirements. I have to admit I'm a spreadsheet guy and did a lot of comparison, scoring, and number crunching besides looking at actual coaches."
Sometimes core requirements come up agents reality. Especially in a gas coach.

Bill
WILDEBILL308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 08:18 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club

Glad to have you here in the forum with us.

Have you considered the Newmar line? Especially the Canyon Star. Newmar will make many modifications to fit you needs.

Happy Trails!!!
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 11:57 PM   #4

Hi

this place is great

Safe travels
2015 GMC Denali 3500 SRW CC SWB
Stever53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 01:28 PM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Hope you find the perfect rig for your needs!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 01:35 PM   #6

I think your major problem will be sleeping two more adults. Most sofa/couch sleeping setups are not that comfortable. Have not tried some of the air bed in a couch/dual recliner setups. My point is that you have to check out what is offered not assume it will be comfortable.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 08:18 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Hi,
Thanks for the replies. Let me try to respond to them all.

Traveling with guests - only sometimes, not all the time. So the guest sleeping doesn't have to be perfect but comfortable enough for more than a night or two or retiree-age folks.

Newmar - yes, I did look at newmar - canyon star and bay star. The ranked lower in my ratings because of wheelbase ratio (big tail swing), only two slides (3513, 3710), questionable roof technology, and mostly because of the big price jump. I was attracted to them for quality similar to tiffin.

Sofa/couch - yes, this is my main concern and sticking point. I've heard the ones with air mattresses are not durable and will leak. The allegro seems to have the closest to a true hideabed but the models I've looked at, the bed blocks the coach when it's open, even for a person in the bed they'd have to crawl over the other person to get to bathroom. I have looked at some aftermarket sofabeds but they don't seem much better and honestly it seems silly to have pay another $1K+ for brand new coach that cost over $100K.

I've not given up though! Quartzsite is calling...
USTrekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 08:23 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
What's "questionable" about Newmars roof technology? Brite Tek is used on comnercial roofs and has a 12 yr materials warranty. Had it on the '02 DSDP and after 13 years it looked almost new.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 05:01 AM   #9

If you are going gas Newmar has some of the longest (best) wheel bases in the business.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 09:52 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
"Newmar - yes, I did look at newmar - canyon star and bay star. The ranked lower in my ratings because of wheelbase ratio (big tail swing), only two slides (3513, 3710), questionable roof technology, and mostly because of the big price jump. I was attracted to them for quality similar to tiffin."

First I would put Newmar way ahead of Tiffin in quality. Anything you get in a gas coach (past 25foot) will have a lot of tail swing. It is only a problem if you aren't aware and don't know how to drive a coach with tail swing.
Have you ever gone to a dealer or to a RV show and tried the hide a bead? Have you ever sat in the coaches you are talking about to see how it "feels" does the floor plan work for you? Never buy a coach with out having all the slides brought in to see if you can get to everything you need with the slides in.
Bill
WILDEBILL308 is offline   Reply With Quote