Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-03-2020, 07:54 AM   #43
IC2

Another Corelle user along with paper plates if meals oren't too juicy. Also use Corelle in the S&B. Virtually indestructible though will shatter almost expolsively if dropped "just right". When these dishes do shatter, the pieces are beyond scalpel sharp.

Additionally, we also use ceramic cups and glass for drinking puposes. Neither the Corelle or glass/ceramic dishes have ever broken and in years of many thousands of travel miles over our 'shovel ready' roads.
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2020, 08:29 AM   #44

I think that the answer lies in how you use your rv. DW and I are vacationers. The longest we have spent in ours in one stay is a week. We use paper plates, plastic cups, and metal coffee cups. Just do you.
tnscoutr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 08:39 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnscoutr View Post
I think that the answer lies in how you use your rv. DW and I are vacationers. The longest we have spent in ours in one stay is a week. We use paper plates, plastic cups, and metal coffee cups. Just do you.

Exactly, we full time and use/carry paper plates as a back up plan. Just like we did in our regular house.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 08:56 AM   #46

Melamine, Thermo-ware, silverware and ceramic coffee mugs. The classic, light weight, unbreakable, retro stuff that’s perfect for camping, patio, poolside and even indoor drinking and dining.

Remarkably, the food tastes great.
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 09:05 AM   #47

Real dishes and glasses vs plastic

We use Corelle . A full set of 6 place settings (minus the coffee cups and saucers) because when we intertain it’s usually with 2 other couples. Nice paper plates otherwise. We use those rubbery mesh shelf liners as isolators and anti-skid place mats. Plastic wine glasses and stainless insulated coffee cups with lids (similar to yeti)
Edit: And a set of stainless mixing bowls with silicone bottoms. She likes them so much we bought a second set for the house.
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 09:27 AM   #48

Well, we purchased"

These

And more of these

And this one

And this one with the Campers on it

An older version of these, bowls, plates, saucers, even a dog bowl

In addition, paper towels holders, coffee cups, area rugs, bathroom floor mats, baskets, containers, and stuff I don't even remember. I couldn't find them on Lakeside's web site. Lakeside has good stuff, holds up well, and the price is very, very reasonable. I think their stuff is better quality than Bed, Bath, and Beyond. (and cheaper). Order their catalog, and have fun browsing. Almost every catalog has one or two RV related items spotlighted. Oh... we even have 2 sets of tear drop trailer awning tacky lights too from them.

Got some photos from Lakeside Collection merchandise:

Old 05-03-2020, 05:49 PM   #49

We have a set of Corelle dishes for the RV. We also keep paper plates in there too.
Old 05-03-2020, 09:52 PM   #50

Monaco Owners Club
When a building supply chain folded here years ago I bought a stack of 3/4-inch thick Styrofoam bats about 2 feet by 8 feet for a purpose I never addressed. When we bought our first Class A, an Itasca, I cut carefully-measured dividers from them that would jam tight vertically without bowing in the overhead cabinets and with them made cubby holes just wide enough to accept our ceramic dishes, etc. Four coffee cups are stored in the thick Styrofoam "tray" they came in. I used rolled bubble rap to Z back and forth between each layer of stacked plates. We do use plastic glasses but only because we like jumbo size.

I've done the same thing with our second, adding Styrofoam drawer dividers for flatware and sharps.
Urban Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 05:53 PM   #51

We use Corelle at home and in the coach. We got some we liked for the coach and and when we got home we bought another set for home in the same pattern but slightly different colors. We use the Corelle cups along with some ceramic mugs.

We have good quality SS flatware that has a good comfortable feel; we do not like thin "diner" type flatware, so we got the good stuff.

When we are in the coach, that is home, so we live just as we do at home. The scenery changes, though.

WMMV

Tom
Old 05-04-2020, 08:24 PM   #52

We use paper plates and plastic silverware most of the time. We have metal plates with matching cups, and a knife that has a fork and spoon on it. We get to stay with the camping theme when entertaining. We call our little camper a camper rather than an rv. It's as close to real camping as we can get. Age and health you know.
dustyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 09:39 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmachine View Post
I made the mistake of microwaving a melamine bowl. It destroyed the bowl. We use Corelle when we have water hookups and paper when we don’t.
We also use Corelleware when parked, plastic or paper when on-the-road. One exception, wine does not taste good out of a plastic glass.
Once a cabinet door came open in our 5er, Corelleware shards all over the kitchen counter and floor. Corelleware did not break into large pieces.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 02:15 PM   #54

For enjoying our wine [emoji485] we found a dimple and great solution was buying a 4 pack of Riedel brand (quality glasses) - the box they come in serves as a perfect storage in the cupboard. So no noise while en route and elegant when parked. Same idea for cocktail glasses!
MCRV Passion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 02:44 PM   #55

Love Correll great stuff, very hard to break . The bowls and plates fit close and stack very short stacks. BUT when they shatter its in many tiny shards. I'm not picky on patterns ,I'll buy them up at thrift stores and garage sales too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamfoxy View Post
We tried plastic but really like our Correll dishes and ceramic mugs. There are circular dishracks that will screw to the shelves to keep everything in place. A kitchen in the rear of the RV is worse for dishes than one in the middle and trailers seem to get bounced around more than a motorhome.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 02:53 PM   #56

Fleetwood Owners Club
Use plastic, way safer. We had Corelle and one day when leaving a fuel stop the cabinet came open and dishes crashed to the floor and exploded like a hand grenade. Pieces were stuck in the lower cabinet doors. Plastic ever since.
Alan24601 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dish