Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-20-2022, 03:24 PM   #99

What dose anyone get on a gmc duramax pulling a fifth wheel. Mpg
Dencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2022, 03:26 PM   #100
Community Moderator

New 2021 Entegra Vision 27A 18,000 lb GVWR (probably loaded to 17,000 lbs without a toad) at 5000 miles displayed 9.3 mpg average on the dashboard.
Camp CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 03:32 PM   #101

My '96 Winne Vectra (34') averaged 12 to 14 MPG diesel, towing a '96 Jeep Cherokee tow'd! I recorded all fuel usage and mileage. No lie. The highest was, of course, on level highways, but it NEVER got less than 10, even in mountains, AND with the tow'd. Always had this, so don't know mileage alone! Of course, I used speed-control every chance I could, which helped. And I drove about 60 - 65 MPH (unless climbing hills)! I took two trips to Alaska, one to Yellowstone then Wisconsin, a trip to Fla, and one to New York via So. Carolina & north! I also took one to Md, where I parked it for a month abroad. Oh, forgot the GS trip to Niagara. Home is Dallas, Tx area.
mogul264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 03:33 PM   #102

Thor Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
30 ft class C pulling 2500lb toad, 65mph nominal is 7.5-8mpg. Ford E450
keymania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 03:34 PM   #103

Fleetwood Owners Club
I've kept detailed logs on our 2000 Bounder 34T with the V10 gasser and have averaged 7.62 MPG on "regular" unleaded over the 28,676 miles we've enjoyed. I run the genset while moving in hot areas to keep the better looking half happier and I set the cruise between 55 and 60 to irritate the other drivers and miss most of the traffic chaos because I'm rarely in a hurry to get anywhere.

Best Regards,
Frank
Old 01-20-2022, 03:35 PM   #104

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Headroom View Post
It's not ridiculous at all. I want to know what my range is. I want to know if I can pass on stupidly priced fuel, and comfortably reach fuel at better prices.
I know there are a lot of people saying fuel is just the cost of doing business, and that is true. But I see no shame in reducing that cost. Every dollar I can save on fuel burn is another dollar for repairs, upgrades and maintenance.
Agreed
And at some point realizing diesel is at $5 a gallon to go 8 miles it’s going to get pretty expensive in retirement.
A lot of RVs will sit or be sold in the near future…
[Mod Edit]
CaptV1VR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 03:37 PM   #105

I’m a firm believer if you have to ask how much it cost to drive it you can’t afford it.
MXdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 03:38 PM   #106

Tiffin Owners Club
6 MPG with a 2006 Southwind. 8.1 GM with Allison tranny. 38' pulling a Chevy Colorado.

Thanks to everyone for sharing honest numbers.
MEC57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 03:39 PM   #107

Real mpg

Avg7.4mpg over 10k miles towing Mkx with newmar 40’ madp 400hp Cummins.
Bgr6078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 03:41 PM   #108

Fuel mileage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danford1 View Post
I'm looking for a thread or forum where people will list their Truthful gas mileage. Not exaggerated manufacturer claims or people quessing at it. I mean actual miles trav eled by gallons used, digital gas computers on the istrument panels don't count. They are guestimations.
Does anyone know if a thread or forum exists?
I tried searching for gas mileage but didn't find any info, perhaps I'm searching wrong?
Thanks
Danford1
Gallons purchased, miles driven method. 2000 Roseair, Sparton chassis, Cummins 8.3 L ISC engine, Allison 6 speed transmission, average speed 66 mph. Towing 2001 Dodge Ram 4X4 pickup, 4200 lbs. Last trip 4230 miles with an average of 8.9 mpg. Trip was winter months and generator was run about 27% of road time (45 hours).
BruceDeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 03:46 PM   #109

Thor Owners Club
I have used an iOS app called "Road Trip" for many years... records going back in some cases 20 years for vehicles I have owned. Some were obviously transferred from paper records when I had spare time.

Here are a couple of screen shots from my current TV, a 2014 Ram 2500 4WD, 6.7 Cummins.

They show real, actual fuel mileage based on odometer entries and gallons of fill down to the 1/1000 of a gallon. I also can enter various weather conditions and if I was towing, and what I was towing. I am guessing most here would be interested in the 5th wheel towing MPG.

The mileage displayed on the instrument cluster is usually about 2 or 3 MPG off, always to the positive. Makes one fell better, but it is not reality in my case. The road trip numbers do not lie!

BTW... my DEF mileage is close to 3000 MPG. I fill at the pump in truck stops. That is the freshest DEF you can buy, and also the most convenient.

For those not from cold climates, the 20% blend (80% #2 20% #1), Yukon (brand), and #1 diesel are something I need to do when running it in below 0˚ weather like we have right now. Those miles also reflect a lot of idle time for warm up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Road Trip 1.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	165.6 KB
ID:	354298   Click image for larger version

Name:	road trip 2.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	186.1 KB
ID:	354299  

Old 01-20-2022, 03:57 PM   #110

Too many variables gas mileage is what's it going to cost to make the trip I chose to make using basic mileage I have had through different trips 6 to 7 so 6.5 X miles to travel X current price of gas. Plus camping etc. If I then determine I can afford it am willing to accept the cost go go go.
pop-sicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 03:58 PM   #111

If you’re concerned about gas mileage on an RV, I’d go buy a tent. The bigger you go, the more the efficiency declines.
Elk Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 04:00 PM   #112

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Gas Mileage

LOL, I have owned them all starting with tents, tent campers, truck campers, fivers and four MH's (3 DP 36', 40' Newmar's, and now a 35' Winnie Forza. Before that one I decided to downsize due kids gone and my age (81) so I went from the Newmar 40' DP to a FR 30DS Ford V-10. Hated it, rocked and rolled down the road, truckers darn near blew me off two lane roads when they passed. Had it less than a year and went back to the quieter, air suspension, Allison 6 speed Forza w/ a Cummins 340. Love it!
Gas mileage. I am reminded the story from years ago when it was "camping," now RV-ing. The one question you never asked a fellow camper was what he got for gas mileage. They only thing everyone lied about was gas mileage and how much sex he got LOL The best I ever got on my other DPs was around 7.5. The FR gas got the same. My Forza gets about 9.3. That's from the dash system and my own calculations, which I religiously always have and still do keep track of. So very much affects it. Size of the rig, front end design, towing (I tow a 2012 Mini Cooper Coupe, have towed it since I bought new, four down - has to be a manual tranny, which I love. Only weighs 2300# and tracks very well. I drive 60 MPH in the right lane even if the speed limit is 70-75 on the Interstates. If the limit is 60, I drop down to 55 still in the right lane. I have learned over the many years of owning RV's that I am in no hurry. Gas mileage is primarily affected by your speed and wind direction. Slow down, listen to an audio, enjoy the trip, and save while doing so. Oh, and by the way I use a TSD card. All I have to watch for are those who got their driver's license at Walmart and don't know what that upside triangular red sign means when trying to merge onto a freeway. I DO NOT move over for them; I do move over for truckers. To some that may sound as though I am being inconsiderate, I am not!! I know how to drive, many of today's drivers do not.
Sgt B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas