Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-17-2019, 06:29 PM   #1

Realistic time to get from East to West Coast in a Class A gasser?

Hi-

My wife and I need to move from Philly to Seattle with 4 pets. We are thinking about buying a Class A gas motorhome. We have experience towing boats and trailers long distances. We would drive as much as we could per day and stay in hotel parking lots (not sure about this). Our goal is to just get there. I am thinking 300 miles a day is realistic but am seeking advice from this group on what IS a realistic number of miles to drive per day in a big motorhome... We would probably both be driving..

We may be able to coax another family member to help with driving..

Thanks,

Mike
palasz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2019, 06:47 PM   #2

before we did the RV thing we once drove non-stop except for gas, food and relief stops, from sacramento, ca to des moines, ia. took 36-hours. google maps has the distance from philly to seattle at 2800-mi. at an avg speed of 50-mph that's 56 hours or seven 8-hr days (with stops more like 10-hr days) or nine 300-mile days.

if you have a 3rd driver you may not need to stop to sleep.

time a factor? gonna sightsee along the way? your hotel lot scenario may not work...at least not without paying. you need permission from management to squatt, overnight park, on private property assuming no local ordinances against the practice. some walmarts, cracker barrels and flying j truck stops DO permit ONP with permission where local laws allow.

there has to be a less expensive way to get from here to there unless you are planning to keep the MH after the move?
Old 03-17-2019, 06:48 PM   #3

My wife and I hauled our fifth wheel from Cal to Mich a couple of years ago and averaging 300 mile days, it was a long 10 day grueling trip. During the trip, we needed 2 tires replaced on different days which also slowed us down. If you have the option, I would drive a smaller gas efficient vehicle (van) and double the daily mileage. The fuel $$ saved would be better spent on pet friendly motels.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 06:52 PM   #4

You will probably get a lot of different answers to that question. There are a lot of variables to that scenario. Type and condition of mh and the terrain. 300 miles is a realistic goal. A strong crosswind for example can make even 300 miles very tiring. Not sure about the hotel lots either. With 2 drivers you may find youself driving well over the 300 mile goal.
rte154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 06:52 PM   #5

Hi-

We would plan on keeping the MH and maybe using on the West Coast. We have big animals that we can not pack into the belly of a commercial flight and can not figure out another way to get to West Coast except private plane charter which I am not thrilled about...

We would pay for a night at hotel so I'm assuming they would let a 35ft MH park? Maybe not...

M.
palasz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 06:57 PM   #6

We made the drive from Va Bch to San Diego in two weeks. No really long days, and we stopped at several parks along the way. I'd imagine you could easily make it in less if you're just going straight through. Across the middle of the country we often would just find an RV park to overnight in or pull into a rest area and nap.
Scatterbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 07:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by palasz View Post
Hi-

We would plan on keeping the MH and maybe using on the West Coast. We have big animals that we can not pack into the belly of a commercial flight and can not figure out another way to get to West Coast except private plane charter which I am not thrilled about...

We would pay for a night at hotel so I'm assuming they would let a 35ft MH park? Maybe not...

M.
what kind of animals? another probkem with hotel lots is space. the AllStays Truck & Travel app will let you search for ho/motels with truck parking.
Old 03-17-2019, 07:07 PM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I agree with the 300 miles per day, but you will need to find other parking besides hotels. Most of them can't accommodate larger RV's pulling trailers.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 07:12 PM   #9

I don't understand why you would want to pay high prices for a motel. There are plenty of rv parks to stay in along all interstates. That is the main advantage of the rv, having your own bed to sleep in and with the pets rv parks are definitely the way to go. Cheaper too.
rte154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 07:15 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
300 miles a day is doable and is actually our max for a day (we try for 250 max). Hotels will probably not work but many Wal - Marts, Cracker Barrel, Cabrella's will all work for an overnight

Good luck.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 07:16 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
By myself I generally drive 300-350 a day on travel days. Of course, doing it for 10 days will be more tiring. If you could plan a two day stop every 3-4 days, you would be even better. But two drivers should be able to do 300 miles a day even for that many days. Plan a nice long lunch stop with a good rest (I try for a short nap).
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 07:16 PM   #12

Last June we bought a MH in Florida. Took me a little over 5 days to get back to Calif. But that was just me, no wife or dogs. !2 hr. days most of the time. Gotta consider I used to own a moving company and 12 hr. days on the road were not uncommon.
old golfer guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 07:25 PM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by old golfer guy View Post
Last June we bought a MH in Florida. Took me a little over 5 days to get back to Calif. But that was just me, no wife or dogs. !2 hr. days most of the time. Gotta consider I used to own a moving company and 12 hr. days on the road were not uncommon.
Just drove 504 miles today in 36ft Dutchstar gaser. Left 8am arrived at5:27. 1 gas stop 2 other stops to walk and feed dogs. Long day but doable. Some light rain at times very little wind. All interstate from Ga to Melbourne fl. Towing crv with Cricket in side.
Cruise at 65. One 15 min of slow traffic due to rubber neckers.Click image for larger version

Name:	20180817_215341.jpeg
Views:	107
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	238452Click image for larger version

Name:	20180317_155159.jpeg
Views:	105
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	238453
Russ Silber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 07:36 PM   #14

Making our 4th round trip between Seattle and Carrabelle, Florida next week. Carrabelle is a beach town 50 miles south of Tallahassee. Leaving on March 27th with our 40’ Itasca Horizon and plan on 10 days max when traveling between 9am and 3pm. 300 miles easy. Between 8am and 4pm we can do it in 8 days. 3100 miles total. We book our campgrounds around Noon each day using Passport America, KOA, or RV Parky and have never had any issues getting a site. Usually pay between $25-$40 for 50amp and full hookups. 400 miles is our max as I am the only driver. The only issue will be the crazy weather that has plagued this country lately and might cause us to lay down a day or two to avoid damage. No hotels for us.

Tags
class a, gas