Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-11-2021, 08:58 PM   #29

It might be reasonable to say that you have nothing to lose.

You’ve asked for advice, and many of the folks on this forum have attempted to share their knowledge and insight with you in an effort to help you make an informed decision. You see no faults in your plan, so it isn’t clear why you even asked the question. Do you want advice or affirmation that you’re doing the right thing?

I was an invincible, know it all, rebel at 22 as well. Fortunately, I came to my senses shortly thereafter.

$3500. Wow!
Kid Gloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2021, 05:24 AM   #30

$3500 is a pittance in today's world. You say this is scholarship money. I'm sure you got these funds to help you further your education. That is where you should invest that money. Not waste it on a venture which will bankrupt you with unforseen expenses.
I think you should check with those in charge before you plan on squatting on BLM lands or anywhere else. This may not be permissible. If you get thrown off, where are you going to go?
A $13.50 per hour job will only net you a little less than $400 per week if you are lucky enough to work 40 hours a week. Not much time for schooling or homework to keep your grades up.
You will still need to eat and put clothes on your back as well as pay for your schooling and a few other pleasures along the way.
Add up the prices of a full service and a set of tires for a diesel pusher luxury motor home along with outfitting it to make it livable then tell us how you are going to manage this on your $13.50 per hour job. Everyone responding to this thread would like to have that education on how to manage our money that well.
If you try to pull this off and you fail the bank will repossess the coach and sell it at auction. You will be responsible for any difference if the coach sells for less than the balance of the loan. This could and will put a blemish on your credit rating for a long time
Old 06-12-2021, 06:31 AM   #31

"There are many people who have antiquated motorhomes." Yes, yes there are. Mine is a 1993. It doesn't leave home unless I have about two thousand dollars at the ready in case it needs to be towed because of some mechanical failure that I can't deal with on the road with my full set of tools and 35 years of experience as a mechanic.

An example would be if a simple driveline u-joint failed. And when it did, the driveshaft came loose and was damaged. Even just a good dent can ruin a driveshaft. The closest NAPA parts store will happily sell me a new u-joint for under 20 bucks but I can't put it in a damaged driveshaft and NO one locally has one of those. Since I've looked, I happen to know there's a salvage yard in Kentucky has an RV like mine that probably does have one. But it's the weekend and they are closed. Also like 500 miles away and I've got a state trooper telling me my coach is a traffic hazard and I don't get it towed pretty much right now he will get someone to haul it away and impound it somewhere. With all my stuff in it.

Theoretical scenario but a number of people can relate their actual similar experiences with blown tires that damaged wheels or any number of similar things.

I know something of the free camping on Florida. I also know they longest you can stay at any of those places is 14 days. Are there enough of such close to where you plan to attend school so you can bounce from one to another like the semi-homeless people so? Just wondering. I know a guy that floats from one free camp to another. He has an economy car that he tows a small flat trailer with. He has the trailer fixed up so that he can erect a tent on it. It sounds odd but it's actually pretty well done and works quite well. When down he just looks like a guy towing a little utility trailer with some stuff on it. He lives pretty well on very little money. Sometimes he feels crowded out during tourist season and comes up my way for a few months and rents a mobile home or apartment for a while. I bring him up because they way he does it is very doable on 13.50 an hour. With any class A RV, not so much.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 10:50 AM   #32

Here’s a realistic situation. Boondocking on BLM land.

A 20 mile round trip, once per week to dump and fill. 80 miles per month at 8mpg. 10 gallons of diesel.

A 40 mile move every 14 days to the nearest BLM land. Twice per month, 80 miles, 10 gallons of diesel.

6 hrs/day of generator run time at 1/2gph, 3 gallon per day, 90 gallons per month. This assumes the lead acid house batteries have some life to allow for some inverter power. In summer, the generator and A/C units may be on 24/7, so quadruple the number to 360 gallons per month.

That’s 110 gallons of diesel at $3/gal, so $330/mo.

Let’s say that 2 gallons of propane are used per day for heating, hot water, cooking and running the refrigerator. At $2.50/gal that’s $5/day or $150/month. Remember to fill the propane tank when moving to the next spot.

Let’s say the 2 BLM spots are equidistant from the college and job site. That’ll be a 40 mile daily round trip in the gas guzzler. We’ll be nice and say it gets 20mpg. Now add 40 gallons of gas at $3/gal for another $120/mo.

We’re up to $600/mo. The loan payment will be $300/mo. Insurance on the coach will probably be $1200/year. Minimum annual maintenance of engine oil, oil filter, fuel filters, air filter, at least $600. The generator will need service several times per year at a couple of hundred a pop.

Did the house batteries just die? That’s $600-900 for lead acid. Or, $3000-5000 for lithium. Check the anode in the water heater every few months or you’ll be shopping for a new water heater. Get a spare water pump. If that fails there’s no water pressure. Is that a puddle of coolant under the radiator? A hundred and fifty bucks an hour, for a mobile mechanic?

I don’t believe we’ve invented debt forgiveness for an RV loan just yet, but it’s always possible. But, you’ll have to get the loan first.

Yes, many of us have older motorhomes. We also had the means to buy them and we have the means to operate and maintain them. Country Coach made a very good motorhome. They were on our short list when we were shopping. If you’re looking to get by on less than $900/mo, while you work and earn a degree, this is not the way.
Old 06-12-2021, 01:32 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Gloves View Post
It might be reasonable to say that you have nothing to lose.

You’ve asked for advice, and many of the folks on this forum have attempted to share their knowledge and insight with you in an effort to help you make an informed decision. You see no faults in your plan, so it isn’t clear why you even asked the question. Do you want advice or affirmation that you’re doing the right thing?

I was an invincible, know it all, rebel at 22 as well. Fortunately, I came to my senses shortly thereafter.

$3500. Wow!
I appreciate their insight. I'm not looking to confirm my pre-existing biases. I want an objective viewpoint.

That is an insensitive characterization. I am being cautious. Some members have commented that my plans are relatively realistic.

I'm saying that is just for start-up costs, *not* living expenses. I'll secure a job once I have to make loan payments. I also may have another $5000 coming in. In addition, a family friend may be able to assist me financially.
WolfCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 01:40 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
$3500 is a pittance in today's world. You say this is scholarship money. I'm sure you got these funds to help you further your education. That is where you should invest that money. Not waste it on a venture which will bankrupt you with unforseen expenses.
I think you should check with those in charge before you plan on squatting on BLM lands or anywhere else. This may not be permissible. If you get thrown off, where are you going to go?
A $13.50 per hour job will only net you a little less than $400 per week if you are lucky enough to work 40 hours a week. Not much time for schooling or homework to keep your grades up.
You will still need to eat and put clothes on your back as well as pay for your schooling and a few other pleasures along the way.
Add up the prices of a full service and a set of tires for a diesel pusher luxury motor home along with outfitting it to make it livable then tell us how you are going to manage this on your $13.50 per hour job. Everyone responding to this thread would like to have that education on how to manage our money that well.
If you try to pull this off and you fail the bank will repossess the coach and sell it at auction. You will be responsible for any difference if the coach sells for less than the balance of the loan. This could and will put a blemish on your credit rating for a long time
I understand that. But that's just for start-up costs. I will check for land availability before I even think of contacting a dealership. I also have another $5000 coming in, excluding employment. My expenses, considering maintenance, would be relatively minimal. I will save my money carefully.
I'll be very cautious before I use my credit and possibly damage it.
Old 06-12-2021, 01:47 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyR View Post
"There are many people who have antiquated motorhomes." Yes, yes there are. Mine is a 1993. It doesn't leave home unless I have about two thousand dollars at the ready in case it needs to be towed because of some mechanical failure that I can't deal with on the road with my full set of tools and 35 years of experience as a mechanic.

An example would be if a simple driveline u-joint failed. And when it did, the driveshaft came loose and was damaged. Even just a good dent can ruin a driveshaft. The closest NAPA parts store will happily sell me a new u-joint for under 20 bucks but I can't put it in a damaged driveshaft and NO one locally has one of those. Since I've looked, I happen to know there's a salvage yard in Kentucky has an RV like mine that probably does have one. But it's the weekend and they are closed. Also like 500 miles away and I've got a state trooper telling me my coach is a traffic hazard and I don't get it towed pretty much right now he will get someone to haul it away and impound it somewhere. With all my stuff in it.

Theoretical scenario but a number of people can relate their actual similar experiences with blown tires that damaged wheels or any number of similar things.

I know something of the free camping on Florida. I also know they longest you can stay at any of those places is 14 days. Are there enough of such close to where you plan to attend school so you can bounce from one to another like the semi-homeless people so? Just wondering. I know a guy that floats from one free camp to another. He has an economy car that he tows a small flat trailer with. He has the trailer fixed up so that he can erect a tent on it. It sounds odd but it's actually pretty well done and works quite well. When down he just looks like a guy towing a little utility trailer with some stuff on it. He lives pretty well on very little money. Sometimes he feels crowded out during tourist season and comes up my way for a few months and rents a mobile home or apartment for a while. I bring him up because they way he does it is very doable on 13.50 an hour. With any class A RV, not so much.
True, but there is a difference between a 1999 Fleetwood Pace Arrow and a 1999 Country Coach Intrigue.

Hmmmm...yes.

Sure.

I do not know yet. I'll have to investigate. That's interesting. But the RV is only $30,000 and I may have financial assistance from a family member's friend.
Old 06-12-2021, 01:53 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Gloves View Post
Here’s a realistic situation. Boondocking on BLM land.

A 20 mile round trip, once per week to dump and fill. 80 miles per month at 8mpg. 10 gallons of diesel.

A 40 mile move every 14 days to the nearest BLM land. Twice per month, 80 miles, 10 gallons of diesel.

6 hrs/day of generator run time at 1/2gph, 3 gallon per day, 90 gallons per month. This assumes the lead acid house batteries have some life to allow for some inverter power. In summer, the generator and A/C units may be on 24/7, so quadruple the number to 360 gallons per month.

That’s 110 gallons of diesel at $3/gal, so $330/mo.

Let’s say that 2 gallons of propane are used per day for heating, hot water, cooking and running the refrigerator. At $2.50/gal that’s $5/day or $150/month. Remember to fill the propane tank when moving to the next spot.

Let’s say the 2 BLM spots are equidistant from the college and job site. That’ll be a 40 mile daily round trip in the gas guzzler. We’ll be nice and say it gets 20mpg. Now add 40 gallons of gas at $3/gal for another $120/mo.

We’re up to $600/mo. The loan payment will be $300/mo. Insurance on the coach will probably be $1200/year. Minimum annual maintenance of engine oil, oil filter, fuel filters, air filter, at least $600. The generator will need service several times per year at a couple of hundred a pop.

Did the house batteries just die? That’s $600-900 for lead acid. Or, $3000-5000 for lithium. Check the anode in the water heater every few months or you’ll be shopping for a new water heater. Get a spare water pump. If that fails there’s no water pressure. Is that a puddle of coolant under the radiator? A hundred and fifty bucks an hour, for a mobile mechanic?

I don’t believe we’ve invented debt forgiveness for an RV loan just yet, but it’s always possible. But, you’ll have to get the loan first.

Yes, many of us have older motorhomes. We also had the means to buy them and we have the means to operate and maintain them. Country Coach made a very good motorhome. They were on our short list when we were shopping. If you’re looking to get by on less than $900/mo, while you work and earn a degree, this is not the way.
To be fair, St. Augustine is a small town, and I would install solar panels. I will have a car too. I appreciate your detailed information though.

My salary may be as high as $16 an hour, but I'm not sure yet. If the RV situation is untenable or impossible, I could consider an apartment. And I'll have money to fall back on. But I'll consider your points carefully.
Old 06-12-2021, 03:27 PM   #37
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfCoach View Post
... I'll secure a job once I have to make loan payments...
I don't think a bank will take that reasoning for collateral.

Everyone who's given advice here is an experienced RV'r with years (if not decades, like me) of experience & we know what RV-ing costs. It's expensive enough buying something new with a warranty, but something 20+ years old is a horse of a different color. We've offered suggestions based on that experience, although you've rebuffed us at every recommendation. You seem set on buying a motorhome with no RV experience. Some have done that & it worked out. Others...not a good ending.

Whatever you do, I wish you all the best & hope it works out.
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 04:02 PM   #38

I just saw this in another section of the forum:

"Our 1999 Dutch Star DP which I have kept maintained pretty well or at least I thought. After not using it for 2020, it sat stored indoors I decided to change the oil and filters myself but take to the truck repair place for servicing the air dryer and a coolant flush with ELC coolant. Had them lube the chassis. I get it back and seems like all hell breaks loose. Put water in the tank as we were going to the Moto America race at Road America which requires boondocking. Water pump runs but no water flows. Trailer light connector has no power there at all. Air horn or city horn now don’t work. Probably doesn’t have anything to do with anything they did but makes me wonder. Everything worked when I put it away in the fall of 19. I’ll be searching the boards for answers. Owning a motorhome I am not alone in these problems. I sure as hell don’t want to buy a new one at my age."
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 08:08 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfCoach View Post
I appreciate their insight. I'm not looking to confirm my pre-existing biases. I want an objective viewpoint.

That is an insensitive characterization. I am being cautious. Some members have commented that my plans are relatively realistic.

I'm saying that is just for start-up costs, *not* living expenses. I'll secure a job once I have to make loan payments. I also may have another $5000 coming in. In addition, a family friend may be able to assist me financially.
Many of your responses have been somewhat dismissive. As was mentioned by another member, you have rebuffed almost every bit of information that has been offered. No one on this thread has indicated that your plan is realistic.

Call it insensitive, if you wish. You are 22, unemployed, have no college degree and have $3500. You are in no position to purchase a 22 year old Class A DP and doing so would be an extremely poor choice in attempting to live a low cost lifestyle. You don’t have enough money to buy a decent used car.

If you have a generous relative who is willing to loan, or give, you the money that’s one thing. I don’t see you getting a loan from a bank or credit union, for anything, given your circumstances.

Your plan is unrealistic. You really should be spending the money on an education. The education here is free, but you seem to give it little value.
Old 06-12-2021, 08:50 PM   #40

39 posts and nothing new offered or acknowledged---[Moderator Edit]....I think its time to move on!
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 09:00 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
39 posts and nothing new offered or acknowledged---[moderator edit]....I think its time to move on!
That could be reported, correct?

I’m holding out to see if the loan goes through.
Old 06-12-2021, 09:27 PM   #42

Tiffin Owners Club
Dude, Get an apartment, call a couple of buddy's and split the rent, just like every other college student. It will make your life so much easier. You might even have enough money left over for beer.
Props2 is offline   Reply With Quote