Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-12-2021, 09:55 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfCoach View Post
True, but there is a difference between a 1999 Fleetwood Pace Arrow and a 1999 Country Coach Intrigue.

Hmmmm...yes.

Sure.

I do not know yet. I'll have to investigate. That's interesting. But the RV is only $30,000 and I may have financial assistance from a family member's friend.
Ok, totally lost me there. You quoted my entire post but nowhere in it did I mention a 1999 Fleetwood. That I can see. Did you mean to quote someone else?
two Yes I know there are differences between those coaches. There are differences between old Cadillacs and old Chevrolets too. Point? You're thinking a 22 year old RV will be bulletproof and trouble free because it's an upscale model?

Good luck with your lease/loan application anyway. Maybe you can make it work and show us how it's done. It could happen. But I suspect I'm seeing caviar dreams on a hot dog budget.

It's the "realistically" in the thread title that sucks me back into this again and again. I swear.

Edit. I think I see what you were saying. You think the 1993 Newmar in my avatar is a 1999 pace Arrow? I can see that. Good eye. In such a small picture they definitely favor each other.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2021, 07:06 AM   #44

After reading through this thread I think all can see that the OP has never lived on his own or has any idea what that actually entails, let alone owning an rv and not just any rv but by god he is going to have to have a diesel class a for just himself because he thinks he is being a minimalist, lol. Please. You need a good slap of reality. For starters, I see no mention ANYWHERE of you allowing for school costs! It cost my son over $11k per semester for college and that was a state university. Maybe you have a scholarship? Maybe you are getting a student loan? I have not heard how you are planning to pay for this. You seem hellbent on spending everything you have and will have on an old diesel A that is going to leave you broke and homeless. Suck up your pride or whatever it is keeping you from listening and take the advice of everyone on here and concentrate on school . Spend your 3500 bucks towards that as I am sure it is what it's meant for. Go find a roommate and rent an apartment. It will be way cheaper and more reliable than your current plan. Good luck
Raines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 09:21 AM   #45

I’m also hanging on to this thread to learn how an unemployed 22 year old can convince a financial institution to loan him $30,000 on an old Class A RV. Realistic? Yeah right.

I am not a mechanic but I do play one in my garage!
OlYeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 09:24 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
I don't think a bank will take that reasoning for collateral.

Everyone who's given advice here is an experienced RV'r with years (if not decades, like me) of experience & we know what RV-ing costs. It's expensive enough buying something new with a warranty, but something 20+ years old is a horse of a different color. We've offered suggestions based on that experience, although you've rebuffed us at every recommendation. You seem set on buying a motorhome with no RV experience. Some have done that & it worked out. Others...not a good ending.

Whatever you do, I wish you all the best & hope it works out.
Well...OK, so that was a naively optimistic idea. I won't touch a motorhome until I get a job or a family member offers significant financial assistance.

OK. Sorry if I came off as entitled or dismissive. But living in a very difficult situation emotionally and psychologically will seriously harm you, believe me.

Thank you.
WolfCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 09:27 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
I just saw this in another section of the forum:

"Our 1999 Dutch Star DP which I have kept maintained pretty well or at least I thought. After not using it for 2020, it sat stored indoors I decided to change the oil and filters myself but take to the truck repair place for servicing the air dryer and a coolant flush with ELC coolant. Had them lube the chassis. I get it back and seems like all hell breaks loose. Put water in the tank as we were going to the Moto America race at Road America which requires boondocking. Water pump runs but no water flows. Trailer light connector has no power there at all. Air horn or city horn now don’t work. Probably doesn’t have anything to do with anything they did but makes me wonder. Everything worked when I put it away in the fall of 19. I’ll be searching the boards for answers. Owning a motorhome I am not alone in these problems. I sure as hell don’t want to buy a new one at my age."
OK, so I would admit I wasn't considering the drawbacks it may entail. That's an interesting situation, one I would not want to find myself in. Thanks for the information.
Old 06-13-2021, 09:33 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Gloves View Post
Many of your responses have been somewhat dismissive. As was mentioned by another member, you have rebuffed almost every bit of information that has been offered. No one on this thread has indicated that your plan is realistic.

Call it insensitive, if you wish. You are 22, unemployed, have no college degree and have $3500. You are in no position to purchase a 22 year old Class A DP and doing so would be an extremely poor choice in attempting to live a low cost lifestyle. You don’t have enough money to buy a decent used car.

If you have a generous relative who is willing to loan, or give, you the money that’s one thing. I don’t see you getting a loan from a bank or credit union, for anything, given your circumstances.

Your plan is unrealistic. You really should be spending the money on an education. The education here is free, but you seem to give it little value.
I'm sorry if you felt I wasn't considering your point of view wholeheartedly. Maybe I am naive.

Well, I would admit especially being unemployed may make the motorhome idea untenable at the moment. I'll attempt to secure employment or receive significant financial assistance from a family member's friend before I consider a motorhome.

I may...I'm not sure yet. It would take a miracle.

I certainly prioritize my education...But the last time I tried to succeed in college, it was a disaster because of my abysmal living circumstances.
Old 06-13-2021, 09:37 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyR View Post
Ok, totally lost me there. You quoted my entire post but nowhere in it did I mention a 1999 Fleetwood. That I can see. Did you mean to quote someone else?
two Yes I know there are differences between those coaches. There are differences between old Cadillacs and old Chevrolets too. Point? You're thinking a 22 year old RV will be bulletproof and trouble free because it's an upscale model?

Good luck with your lease/loan application anyway. Maybe you can make it work and show us how it's done. It could happen. But I suspect I'm seeing caviar dreams on a hot dog budget.

It's the "realistically" in the thread title that sucks me back into this again and again. I swear.

Edit. I think I see what you were saying. You think the 1993 Newmar in my avatar is a 1999 pace Arrow? I can see that. Good eye. In such a small picture they definitely favor each other.
I was stressing the difference in quality. I did not mean to suggest a CC will be bulletproof, even compared to a Pace Arrow. But $30K for it may be an exceptional deal.

I am going to approach it with caution. I'm no stranger to failure.
Old 06-13-2021, 09:41 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raines View Post
After reading through this thread I think all can see that the OP has never lived on his own or has any idea what that actually entails, let alone owning an rv and not just any rv but by god he is going to have to have a diesel class a for just himself because he thinks he is being a minimalist, lol. Please. You need a good slap of reality. For starters, I see no mention ANYWHERE of you allowing for school costs! It cost my son over $11k per semester for college and that was a state university. Maybe you have a scholarship? Maybe you are getting a student loan? I have not heard how you are planning to pay for this. You seem hellbent on spending everything you have and will have on an old diesel A that is going to leave you broke and homeless. Suck up your pride or whatever it is keeping you from listening and take the advice of everyone on here and concentrate on school . Spend your 3500 bucks towards that as I am sure it is what it's meant for. Go find a roommate and rent an apartment. It will be way cheaper and more reliable than your current plan. Good luck
That is true. But there's no need to find the situation humorous. $30K is not that expensive, especially if I hold a job and receive significant financial assistance from a family member's friend. I'm a member of Phi Theta Kappa, and I'm receiving a lot of scholarships. I'll consider your points.
Old 06-13-2021, 09:50 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlYeller View Post
I’m also hanging on to this thread to learn how an unemployed 22 year old can convince a financial institution to loan him $30,000 on an old Class A RV. Realistic? Yeah right.
I may hold off on approaching the dealerships and banks until I get a job. I might work as a pianist. And there's a possibility a family member's friend may help me out.

I'm thankful for the information many people have provided me. I realize that financing an RV immediately is practically impossible. Once I work out where I'll live, possibly boondocking, and secure funds from a family member's friend or employment, THEN I'll sign on the dotted line.

I do have one question: should I let a RV dealership (down in Southern Florida) know I am interested in their CC Intrigue, even though I cannot finance just yet?
Old 06-13-2021, 10:11 AM   #52

"I do have one question: should I let a RV dealership (down in Southern Florida) know I am interested in their CC Intrigue, even though I cannot finance just yet?"

Wolfcoach, I don't really see the point of letting the dealer know. You would only be considered a 'tire kicker' and really would be wasting their time as you wouldn't qualify for anything at this point.

Never hurts to look around but getting them involved would be wasting both of your time.

You are a new member here and you are in the right place for 'tons' of reading. Get busy!

Take care,
Mark
Mr.Mark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 11:46 AM   #53
GFC

Quote:
I certainly prioritize my education...But the last time I tried to succeed in college, it was a disaster because of my abysmal living circumstances.
WolfCoach, I'm not sure if you are not being honest with us and just stringing us along, or if you are truly naive.

You are (a) unemployed, (b) living in abysmal living conditions, and Lord knows what else is going on in your life but I'd suggest you grow up and see what the real world is like before you pursue this wild idea any further.

You blame your disastrous college effort on your living conditions. Sorry, but I'm going to call BS on that excuse. When I was a sophomore in college I was living in a friend's living room, sleeping on the couch, taking a full load of classes and working 8 hours a night at a 24-hr gas station where I did my homework. I did that for a year and learned a lot about growing up. The school was about 10 miles out of town and I had to hitchhike to and from. I owned a car but couldn't afford gas because my job paid me just enough to pay for my groceries. Oh, and did I mention I carried about a 3.25GPA for that year?

If you want to change your lifestyle and you have all this money available to you I'd suggest you go buy a used travel trailer for about $5-$8K and live in that. Keep your nose clean, do your studies, no partying and then at the end of the year see how you're doing. I'd bet your grades will go up and most importantly, you will grow up and get a glimpse of what the real world is like.

Good luck to you.
Old 06-13-2021, 11:49 AM   #54

Quote:
I'm sorry if you felt I wasn't considering your point of view wholeheartedly. Maybe I am naive.

Well, I would admit especially being unemployed may make the motorhome idea untenable at the moment. I'll attempt to secure employment or receive significant financial assistance from a family member's friend before I consider a motorhome.

I may...I'm not sure yet. It would take a miracle.

It isn’t just my point of view. Look at the number of responses that you given where there is a “Yeah, but..” “True, but...” “Sure, but..” etc etc. You are “politely” acknowledging the advice and then telling us how you have it all figured out.

You had the sense to come to this forum and ask knowledgeable, experienced people for advice. We’ve offered it, and until your last few posts, you’ve largely disregarded the advice, yet you still want to talk to the dealer. Yes, you are naive, or inexperienced. We all were too. This isn’t the place for therapy or counseling, but I’ll give you my Life Coach moment.

Life is full of choices and sometimes we end up in an undesirable situation because of those choices. Sometimes we blame others for our predicament. Ultimately, we have to sleep in the bed that we made, but we can change the sheets. You can change your situation and we’re attempting to prevent you from making a decision that has a 99% chance of making your life situation worse.

As far as that coach being a good deal, some of the wisest words ever typed on this forum were: “You can’t pay too much for the right one, but you can pay too little for the wrong one.”
Kid Gloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 11:47 AM   #55

Just a thought. A theoretical 1984 Lincoln Town Car will quite happily tow a popup or a modest single student-sized camper. Many such cars even came with an optional towing package right from the factory.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 04:06 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFC View Post
WolfCoach, I'm not sure if you are not being honest with us and just stringing us along, or if you are truly naive.

You are (a) unemployed, (b) living in abysmal living conditions, and Lord knows what else is going on in your life but I'd suggest you grow up and see what the real world is like before you pursue this wild idea any further.

You blame your disastrous college effort on your living conditions. Sorry, but I'm going to call BS on that excuse. When I was a sophomore in college I was living in a friend's living room, sleeping on the couch, taking a full load of classes and working 8 hours a night at a 24-hr gas station where I did my homework. I did that for a year and learned a lot about growing up. The school was about 10 miles out of town and I had to hitchhike to and from. I owned a car but couldn't afford gas because my job paid me just enough to pay for my groceries. Oh, and did I mention I carried about a 3.25GPA for that year?

If you want to change your lifestyle and you have all this money available to you I'd suggest you go buy a used travel trailer for about $5-$8K and live in that. Keep your nose clean, do your studies, no partying and then at the end of the year see how you're doing. I'd bet your grades will go up and most importantly, you will grow up and get a glimpse of what the real world is like.

Good luck to you.
I wouldn't lie. I suppose I'm quite naive.

I admit being unemployed is a huge hurdle at the moment. But once I become employed, and receive financial assistance from a family member's friend who is also a pianist, I may be able to work something out.

My living conditions were not physically awful...but psychologically and emotionally they were very difficult. It's not an excuse. Losing one's best friend, then living with an alcoholic and emotionally abusive individual can significantly screw up your life. But that's admirable you made such an accomplishment.

I will reconsider possibly living in a good trailer. But I'll still carefully consider a class A once my financial situation becomes stable. And I would say I possess responsibility; I have a 3.9 GPA from my community college. Just saying. I have completed one semester so far.