Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2021, 05:25 PM   #1

Realistically considering a MH

Hi, I'm a 22 year old college student with minimal debt. I am currently not employed. But I have thousands of dollars in accessible funds due to my quality academic work. I know the RV lifestyle is right for me, and I also want to move from a stressful family situation. I can be employed soon too.

Is it realistic for me to secure a lease for a MH soon? I've been researching for 6 months. I've found a 1999 Country Coach Intrigue with 123,000 miles on it for $29,900. Could I get approved? Or is this undoable? My credit score is about 700. Should I stay away from high mileage?

My lifestyle details/particulars are in the "Assistance needed for an amateur" thread. This thread was devoted to this specific RV.
WolfCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2021, 06:30 PM   #2

I would definitely stay away from high mileage especially if the coach isn't in impeccable condition with detailed maintenance records.

Also most banks probably will not finance a coach that is more than 20 years old.

Another consideration when looking at a used coach is how handy are you? Will you be able to fix anything yourself that goes wrong or will you have to pay someone to do it?
Massparanoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 06:42 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Massparanoia View Post
I would definitely stay away from high mileage especially if the coach isn't in impeccable condition with detailed maintenance records.

Also most banks probably will not finance a coach that is more than 20 years old.

Another consideration when looking at a used coach is how handy are you? Will you be able to fix anything yourself that goes wrong or will you have to pay someone to do it?
Not to be overly contentious but...

It depends entirely on whether the coach is a diesel or a gasser as to what constitutes "high mileage" (I don't consider 129,000 high mileage for a gasser, and certainly not for a DP), but paying a mechanic to look over a coach's engine and drive train before you make an offer is well worth the few hundred it will cost.

Coaches older than 20 years are financed everyday, although perhaps not with a 700 credit score.

It is IMPERATIVE that you either are handy enough to fix most issues with the MH or you have many thousands of dollars you don't need for any other purpose to pay for repairs. All motor homes need repairs. Period.

The specific MH you mentioned, a 1999 Country Coach seems underpriced at $29,000. CC's are a very high end coach and retain their value very well; this one is either a bargain or a money pit.
HoneyBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 11:20 PM   #4

OP: You posted this question in the Class A section and received 65 answers. What more are you seeking?
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 09:35 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massparanoia View Post

I'll have to inquire about the maintenance records.

Hmm...

I would be quite content to do repairs myself. It is my responsibility, after all, if I lease the coach.
Old 06-11-2021, 09:42 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyBadger View Post
Not to be overly contentious but...

It depends entirely on whether the coach is a diesel or a gasser as to what constitutes "high mileage" (I don't consider 129,000 high mileage for a gasser, and certainly not for a DP), but paying a mechanic to look over a coach's engine and drive train before you make an offer is well worth the few hundred it will cost.

Coaches older than 20 years are financed everyday, although perhaps not with a 700 credit score.

It is IMPERATIVE that you either are handy enough to fix most issues with the MH or you have many thousands of dollars you don't need for any other purpose to pay for repairs. All motor homes need repairs. Period.

The specific MH you mentioned, a 1999 Country Coach seems underpriced at $29,000. CC's are a very high end coach and retain their value very well; this one is either a bargain or a money pit.
Thank you for that perspective! Yes, it is a diesel pusher. I'll consider that.

Hm, well I might be able to work something out.

If I *had* to, I could use my aid gifted to me for repairs. Maintenance is just part of owning a home, it won't make me change my mind. I understand that.

I am aware CC makes high quality motorhomes. Hmm...

Should I contact the dealership? I won't be ready to seriously consider financing for at least 3 weeks.
Old 06-11-2021, 11:50 AM   #7

Do people actually "lease" 22 year old vehicles? Seriously, I haven't heard of that. Only leasing new ones.
In my case, I just took out a loan. Proved to the bank that I had a decent credit record. a stable job and income that would enable me to pay back the loan, and they gave me money. Which I then went and did what I wanted with, which was buy an old RV. No problem.
At the ripe age of 22 that same bank back then would have politely laughed me out the door if had tried the same back then. Could be just me though. Doesn't hurt to ask.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 11:51 AM   #8

While it is true that Country Coach built quality RVs, it is also true that no matter how good the RV was when new, after 22+ years it could very well be trash now. It is critical that you get a professional to evaluate the coach, including the RV part as well as the chassis. To replace an engine would cost you between $5000 and $15000. A new refrigerator will run at least $1000. A water heater, installed $500. RV appliances have a useful life of about 10 - 15 years when in constant use, or total accrued use. Even newer RVs are expensive to maintain if you hire it done and the older that they are the more maintenance will cost. Be very careful and do a lot of research.
SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 02:24 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyR View Post
Do people actually "lease" 22 year old vehicles? Seriously, I haven't heard of that. Only leasing new ones.
In my case, I just took out a loan. Proved to the bank that I had a decent credit record. a stable job and income that would enable me to pay back the loan, and they gave me money. Which I then went and did what I wanted with, which was buy an old RV. No problem.
At the ripe age of 22 that same bank back then would have politely laughed me out the door if had tried the same back then. Could be just me though. Doesn't hurt to ask.
Well, rent. I didn't mean to conflate the term "lease" with "rent". I have heard a bank will consider if you have acceptable financial means. I have to make an attempt.
Old 06-11-2021, 02:26 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKP Kirk View Post
While it is true that Country Coach built quality RVs, it is also true that no matter how good the RV was when new, after 22+ years it could very well be trash now. It is critical that you get a professional to evaluate the coach, including the RV part as well as the chassis. To replace an engine would cost you between $5000 and $15000. A new refrigerator will run at least $1000. A water heater, installed $500. RV appliances have a useful life of about 10 - 15 years when in constant use, or total accrued use. Even newer RVs are expensive to maintain if you hire it done and the older that they are the more maintenance will cost. Be very careful and do a lot of research.
I understand. I will make dang sure to get a professional to carefully evaluate the rig. I'll be careful to approach this opportunity with nuance. One should be cautious of buying/renting based on emotion, instead of logic.
Old 06-11-2021, 02:36 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyR View Post
In my case, I just took out a loan. Proved to the bank that I had a decent credit record. a stable job and income that would enable me to pay back the loan, and they gave me money.
The big issue is lack of income - you'll have a hard time finding a bank willing to write a loan for ANYTHING with a big fat 0 in the income spot of the application. We went through that years ago when we wanted to refinance our motorhome when we retired. We had more than enough money in a savings account to actually pay off the loan, but we wanted to hold onto our ready cash and just refinance. No bank would even talk to us because we had no income - didn't matter how much cash we had in the bank, or in our pockets; they want to see income to cover the loan. We ended up initiating a monthly withdrawal from one of our retirement accounts just so we could show an income.
Old 06-11-2021, 02:40 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfCoach View Post
Well, rent. I didn't mean to conflate the term "lease" with "rent". I have heard a bank will consider if you have acceptable financial means. I have to make an attempt.
With a used unit the only option is "purchase" - renting is out of the question for a long-term situation. Most rentals are on the order of $1000 per week and up. Leases are new vehicles only, and I've never heard of a lease on an RV.
Old 06-11-2021, 03:09 PM   #13

Unless someone on here is a bank manager or has authority to loan money I don't think the OP could expect a solid answer. I don't understand the concept of the "lease" being $29,000. If it's a "lease", what is the period of the lease? Does the OP have to give the coach back at the end of time for the "lease"? If it's truly a "lease" who is responsible for repairs and maintenance?
Old 06-11-2021, 04:22 PM   #14
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
In the OP's other thread, he stated
Quote:
I am about $2200 in debt. I have a very slim credit history
and
Quote:
I project my job will yield me roughly $13.50 an hour.
. And in this thread states
Quote:
I am currently not employed
I hate to burst the OP's bubble, but I agree w/Alan. The OP won't be able to qualify for any loan. One has to have a history of employment to even be considered. Being unemployed is a deal breaker here.

Plus, it isn't just about being able to purchase the RV (or rent it as in the OP's other thread). Can they afford maintenance or will they be doing all that themselves, repairs - what if something breaks, supplies to outfit it, where you going to keep it (camp spots aren't cheap) on top of all it takes to live (food, insurance, healthcare, clothing...etc.) on a projected $13.50/hr job?

Owning an RV, especially a motorhome, is not for the faint of pocketbook.
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote