Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-10-2020, 01:18 PM   #1

Reality check for prospective owner

Hello. This is my first post, so please go easy My wife and I are recently retired. We have been considering finding and purchasing a good used Class C MH of about 24 - 25' in length to take trips with our dog, for probably 1 - 2 months per year total. RV travel has actually been a goal of mine for many years. When I was in my teens, I had an uncle and aunt who used to extensively travel between FL and NJ (and to many other destinations) with a German Shepherd in a series of Class A MHs. They seemed to enjoy it a great deal. For the year that we have been retired, I've been doing research, not just on RV models and features, but on the experience of ownership itself. What I've read causes me to have some misgivings about the idea. I've found very few reports of truly trouble-free experiences from people who have actually used their RVs to any large extent. Of course, some people like to complain, so for a while I assumed most of the bad reports were exceptions, exaggerations, or both. At some point, though, the consistency of what I was reading led me to wonder if those reports weren't the rule, instead. Now, some of the reports are 10 years old or more, so possibly the industry has a whole has made great strides over that time. Here are some of the issues that seem to recur in the reports I've read:
  1. Poor quality control from day one, even on a new unit
  2. Failure of dealers to honor warranties, even on new units
  3. Poor service from motor vehicle dealer shops (Ford, etc.) on the chassis because of unfamiliarity with the unit
  4. The occasional need to deliver a unit back to its place of assembly (typically the Midwest) for major repairs of the "house" portion (see #2, above)
  5. Occasional total failure to ultimately repair problems, leaving the owner no recourse
Again, many of these issues were reported by owners of brand new units, which doesn't seem to bode very well for the prospect of finding a good used example. Another disturbing apparent trend was that owning a brand with a first rate reputation, that sold for a premium price, didn't seem to translate into a positive experience with great regularity. I do have to admit, that many, possibly most, of the owners were content or even happy with their experiences in the RV, in spite of these kinds of issues. The joy of traveling apparently overcame the frustrations. Unfortunately, I cannot see myself maintaining a positive attitude in the face of constant difficult-to-resolve RV problems, even if not all of them are show-stoppers. If I wanted to constantly be annoyed, I could have kept working So, as the title of this post states, I'd like a reality check to see if this pursuit really is for me. What are the odds for finding a lightly used Class C MH and (with the proper maintenance and precautions) enjoying largely trouble-free jaunts of, say, two to three weeks at a time? Very good? Middling? A pipe dream? I'd appreciate your candid replies. Thanks!
samiamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2020, 02:56 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
First off welcome to the forum.

You are joining a good group of folks here with good info to share. Read the various threads here and ask questions as they come up or add info if you can.

Yes quality has slipped in recent years but some manufactures have higher standards (Tiffin, Newmar and some other even higher end) and some have a reputation for putting out a less quality coach with many more problems (Thor, Forest River and others)

Good luck and enjoy the adventure!
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 02:59 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
I think a good question might be is to ask the other half if they had to do it all again, would they. For me it is my outlet. I love to go and putter (as my DW puts it). Don't know what I would do with my time. I hate to think that all I had to do was work on the "Honey Do list! We have a large Class A diesel pusher so I think they take a little more care and a whole lot more $. Always something to do. I think a class C might be a good introduction to the lifestyle, there are a lot of really good people out there willing to help you and if you let them, you will make a lot of really good friends.
I've been camping since I was 12 years old and now I'm 75, I will say that the landscape has certainly changed. In my opinion, not for the better. Used to be that the people in the pup tent would be invited over to the people in the MH's but not anymore.
Find yourself a good used Class C that appears to have been taken care of and then have it checked out by someone who is qualified and hope for the best. Good luck and enjoy your travels.
golfman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 04:19 PM   #4

I think you are on the right track buying used. After a few years many of the problems you speak of will be sorted out, and a big chunk of the depreciation will be done as well. Things will break, it’s part of it. Best to just get a small tool kit and hit the road.
LanceKeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 04:48 PM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
Your observations are good ones. Owning any MH or TT won't be like owning a Honda Accord. You are taking a house, sticking wheels under it and sending it bouncing down a road. Couple that with lower production volumes than cars, but the same need to turn a profit... Product design, quality, and materials will of necessity be lower.

That said, if you have some modicum of patience, and either an affinity for DIY projects or a willingness to write checks (or both) you may enjoy owning one. Even if your rig is completely reliable, RVing is always more "work" - you have to maneuver, set up, hook up, operate the various systems, etc. It is not like a hotel where you whip in with your Accord, pull out a suitcase and you're done. Oh, and unless you use your rig a lot, hotels will generally be cheaper per night when you factor in total cost of ownership.

OTOH, a hotel is never home. You are always sleeping in someone else's bed, and eating in someone else's dining room. You don't have any control over the decor, and you can only bring what comforts fit in a bag or two.

Not trying to discourage you at all. Just adding grist to your mill...
Old 02-10-2020, 05:16 PM   #6

When you are resting in your grave you will have no troubles; otherwise the best we can do is enjoy the ride.

If the road is too bumpy, maybe you won't want to continue, but with a little bit of patience and perseverance, you may enjoy some new experiences.

Just a thought......

Tom
Old 02-10-2020, 05:40 PM   #7

A good friend once told me - you wanna know how you get a small fortune - you start with a large one, and then get into racing...

I think the same could be said for RV'ing -

I guess I'll skew your numbers a bit - We purchased our RV in 2012, brand new - while we had a couple problems, and yes, we did take a trip to Forest City, IA (Winnebago) - we really haven't had many issues, and nothing that would make us want to get out of RV'ing. The trip to FC wasn't required, but we wanted to make a trip out of it and check out the plant - We've gone to see Entegra and Newmar too - exciting vacations !!

What we have gotten is memories - and I can assure you, they are priceless - memories with my kids (Yellowstone, Custer, Williamsburg, Jamestown, Gettysburg to name a few) - We've made fast friends and gone to many places and enjoyed long weekends and week-long vacations (Sturgis, Tail of the Dragon, Smoky Mountains, Blue Ridge Parkway, Upper Michigan, Bourbonfest, Bourbon Trail just to name a few).

So, what do you want - if you're approaching this and using "investment tools" - forget it, its a no-go situation - if you want to explore and experience all that life has to offer, well, get in, shut up and hold on - it will be a wild ride!!

RV'ing isn't for the faint of heart - but what it gives in return, truly is priceless

I wish you all the best of luck in your decision making process !!
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 05:43 PM   #8

In the six months before I sold my house, the furnace died on a -20 night, the water heater dropped 80 gallons across my basement, the roof developed a leak, a large picture window blew in, I had to have tree roots cut out of my sewer line, my mower died, my snowblower died, a couple electrical breakers fried themselves, I had to mow and plow and rake numerous times, I had to paint the exterior of the house, my front door lock fell apart, one of the dishwashers died, my icemaker line leaked . . .

I have a 28' Class C - older, used - that I'm about to move into FT, and I'm looking forward to simplifying my repair hobbies. It can't be any worse than a house, and it's smaller and less complex.

Don't think of your rig as a vehicle. It's a house, and, just like a house, stuff breaks, and you fix it, and you await the next thing to break. But you get to wait in neat, fun, different places while doing it in your RV.

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 05:20 AM   #9

When I retired we bought a new 34' travel trailer because we did not know if we would even like the RV travel. We took a few 3 to 4 day trips to get comfortable with it. For 8 years we traveled for 3 to 6 months in it. I spent a few times in the breakdown mode to get things fixed. The quality of the TT was poor, even though we bought the high end trailer from the manufacturer We sold it and bought an older diesel pusher motor home. If I had it to do over again I would get the DP to begin with. And, yes, I have made repairs to the MH and they cost more-but the added comfort is worth it. The quality of the MH is so much better. What worked for us, may not work for you.
hewebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 05:35 AM   #10

People mostly post in forums for a few reasons. One is they have a problem. Another is they enjoy helping others solve problems. And then there’s those who’re bored or just enjoy stirring the pot.

Meanwhile, the vast majority of owners are out enjoying their RV and not posting.

What you read here is not a representative of the average experience.
Old 02-11-2020, 05:36 AM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Welcome to the forum! As momdoc said, it's an excellent resource and a good group of people.

You mentioned that RVing has always been a goal of yours, but now there is a sense of reluctance due to build quality and maintenance issues in today's RVs. Such is the state of the RV industry. In our house, we call that the cost of doing business, and would not let it get in the way of following a dream.

Have you considered renting a Class C to see if the RV lifestyle is truly a good fit for you and your wife? Because, if you find that it is, you (like most of us here on the forum) will accept the negative aspects of the lifestyle in order to reap its rewards - which are many and memorable. But if, through renting, you find that RVing is not your cup of tea, then you won't have to deal with a rig you may have purchased but won't use or enjoy.

Already many good points have been made in the comments here. Keep asking questions, continue your research and, if you decide to move forward, remember that having an emergency fund for RV repairs will go a long way toward relieving some of the angst associated with taking the plunge.

Good luck with your decision! Please keep us posted.

Mary
4ina4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 06:04 AM   #12

You will find most people only Post if they are having troubles and it doesn’t matter what it is. For instance I’ve been looking at a commercial margarita machine mostly all bad post no matter what brand.
Old 02-11-2020, 06:45 AM   #13

Quality Travel Trailer Brands

Lots of good advice above. Check out this post. It is not comprehensive but is a good start.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f50/best-value-quality-brand-443427-2.html

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 07:09 AM   #14

I am now on my second used class c, 13 years for the first one.
One month in FL from MA turned into 3 months in different campgrounds
in the winter months.

My latest purchase is a 2006 Fleetwood 23' long no slides on a Chevy chasi.
Bought from the second owner who put close to 60,000 miles on it in the last
10 years. His records show he was averaging $3,000 a year on maintaining
the rig at CW etc.

It took me a lot of time to research and find my current MH.
That being said there is a lot of overpriced and beat MH out there.
My list.
Chevy 2003 and newer
Class C no slides and a rear bed
24' or less in length
With out saying well maintained and not remodeled, reroofed.

Sound easy but not look long enough and you will find it.

Why Chevy? Two less spark plugs, smaller gas tank.

Make a few lists

Must haves

What I would like to do with said MH full time vs months at a time.

Good luck and take your time.

PS DO NOT BUY THE FIRST ONE!
CapeDave is offline   Reply With Quote