Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-22-2015, 06:34 AM   #29

LA Gulf Coast Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by defekticon View Post
Plan B was (Still is) a 5th wheel and a diesel TV.
I have had them all, including a new DP that I financed. My 5th had no generator. They offered to put one in the front compartment which was huge. I did not want to sleep on top of all that gasoline.

I now drive a 10 year old Newmar gas coach that I paid cash for. It has 35K miles on it. My happiness meter has hit 100%. The ride is not significantly worse than my Winnebago DP offered.

If money is no object, buy a DP. If you want the freedom of having your toys paid for, buy used and pay cash.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2015, 07:02 AM   #30

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Very cool about Tyndall. I'm sitting in Bahrain right now during Ramadan with lots of spare time to plan out my rv purchase.
Wow!

Whatcha doin over there?
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 08:02 AM   #31

Hangin' out with the Navy. Which is dangerous, cause it's a party town over here (when it's not Ramadan).
Old 06-22-2015, 09:00 AM   #32

National RV Owners Club
Just my two cents worth

Started with a brand new 33' Class C, 450 Ford Chassis with V-10. Plenty of power and amenities and comfort OK. Six months later I was able to deal on a used DP. To me the difference is earth shattering. The DP is fun to drive and has the power for the long hauls. Sure Gas has power, but for the long trips, treat yourself to the DP. If your intent is mostly short excursions from time to time, the Class C is the answer.
Regardless of either diesel or gas, floor plan and what extra options you want to facilitate your lifestyle and comfort is key. To me, this point alone make the Motorhome lifestyle unique. You want an RV that fits you and your family's needs. So floor plan, budget, family wants and desires are critical.
Amenities or extra options are your second concern. You are doing the right now by asking questions.
Things to research: Look at power requirements for the such as residential refrigerators, induction cooktops, proper number of AC units, right number of batteries, sleeping arrangements, storage requirements ect.... I could go on but research, questions, test drives, and RV shows will also help. Product dependability/reliabiliy and customer support is something to weigh hard, many great manufactures to look at, and to me that is what makes this industry fun. If you are a do-it-your-selfer then you can keep the added maintenance cost down that will come from a diesel.
Finally, a DP is a luxury not a necessity. However, on the whole, a DP will give you a better ride, more storage, more power and more living space. I personally will stay with the diesel due to I have had the gas. With having now diesel, and bar none, I love the experience of what the diesel affords me and my family.
Stay on the forum and keep asking the questions, most of us just want your experience to be as good or better than ours.
Old 06-22-2015, 09:37 AM   #33

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Don't be afraid to pay cash, especially if you go the gas route. What happens in 2 or 3 years if you switch to a pusher. If you had financed 95% of the purchase you may be under water if you went to trade it in. What ever you get, look it over 1000% both dealer or privately bought.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 01:14 PM   #34

Just to give you an idea of what you're looking at for your budget, check out this site. You can sort by diesel and gas:

Diesel Motorhomes for Sale - PPL Motor Homes

You might also check the forum for the Tiffin owners section and inquire about the front diesel.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 07:35 PM   #35

How much do you think you are actually going to use it would be where I'd start. There are tons of 20 year old MH's with less than 50k on them. They are bought and used the first couple of years and then mostly sit. Next would be how much are you willing to spend on something that will probably sit for most of the year. It always sounds great at first to have the best, but after awhile if its something you really don't use it seems a waste. Unless you are a very smart buyer you will loose a big chunk of cash to get rid of it. The diesel will run a million miles thinking is totally pointless considering the miles most motorhomes get used. A gas engine will easily outlive the life of almost any MH.

Most of PPL prices are not realistic if you are looking for a good, well cared for coach. There is a reason why most of their units are priced so far below market value. Not all but most. I'd check craigslist and rv trader to give you a better idea of what prices will be in your area.

Some people like to drive a BMW or a Mercedes, other's are content to drive a Honda or a Toyota. They both will get you to the same place, its just depends on how much you want to spend to get there...
89sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 07:40 AM   #36

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Hangin' out with the Navy. Which is dangerous, cause it's a party town over here (when it's not Ramadan).
Don't blow yourself up!
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, purchase