Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-16-2019, 01:01 PM   #15

What’s your pin weight ,your SRW may not be enough.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2019, 10:31 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
What’s your pin weight ,your SRW may not be enough.
My truck's payload capacity is 3732 lb. My towing capacity is ~17050 lb. I will be looking for a 5th wheel with a gvwr safely within the truck's specs with the weight of people and things in the truck and what I estimate we will have in the rv in mind. It will be more of a lightweight model.
Old 07-25-2019, 07:31 PM   #17

There are special bed plates designed for short bed trucks that swivel and extend. They are great but add about $2K to your cost (if my memory serves me right - others can chip in here).

Also, go to the shows to get ideas but don’t buy the first time. There is a great site called rvtrader.com that can help you get comparable prices and see the huge hit most owners take when buying new.

1998 Georgie Boy Swinger/2005 Jeep Liberty
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rjreiffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 08:12 PM   #18

@rjreiffer thanks for the advice, I am definitely looking to get ideas from the shows and will strongly consider buying used. The only thing is, I am not sure what all to look for as far as condition in a used RV. I will consider renting an RV and living in it for a short period to get an understanding of how everything works first before going out and shopping for used ones. If I don't have the patience for that I might just study up and then do my best at shopping used. I am very adept at doing my own home and auto repairs. I know that with anything used there will be surely things to repair or improve. Some short trips might help sort things out.
Old 07-25-2019, 08:49 PM   #19
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
If you're going to one of the major shows plan on a few days there. Wear comfortable shoes. The best thing about the shows is that almost all makes and models will be there and you can literally do a side by side comparison easily. Some of the dealers are willing to really negotiate and some are not. Don't be in a hurry to buy at a show. You can get a similar deal by going to the dealers directly.

Have fun and good luck.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 05:23 AM   #20
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Every dealer I have seen carries the "Show Specials" at their lot for the whole month of the show. I would not buy the unit that 5000 people have walked through breaking off trim pieces as they cram into it elbow to elbow.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 05:08 PM   #21

You stated “short bed” which is 5 1/2’. One tons usually come with “standard beds” which are 6 1/2’ A short bed may be a problem when backing up.
stvaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 09:00 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by stvaughn View Post
You stated “short bed” which is 5 1/2’. One tons usually come with “standard beds” which are 6 1/2’ A short bed may be a problem when backing up.
Thanks for the correction. It is a regular bed 6.5'.
Old 08-02-2019, 02:18 PM   #23

Short bed

Your short bed will not be a problem with a new or newer 5ver. Nearly all of them are designed to work with a short bed. We have an F250 short bed and can make very sharp turns when backing with ours, a slider hitch is not normally needed either.
blang311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 05:51 AM   #24

I'd recommend you take a trip to a local CG and walk through and talk to folks with rigs similar to what you have/want. Not being critical but I've noted a tendency within the RV community to tell folks what they should or shouldn't do without any experience doing it themselves. Especially with the short bed-slider hitch necessity. I can tell you I have 4 trucks and 5 fifth wheels worth of experience towing with short bed and a B&W Companion hitch with zero problems with cab or bed rail strikes. Also be aware those folks selling you an RV probably don't have an RV. They'll tell you what they think you want to hear. Take it all with a grain of salt.

You have a great tow vehicle that should work well for you and last many years. Did you get the factory puck system? Makes hitch install a slam dunk! Good luck with your search
MtCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 07:45 AM   #25

@blang311
@MtCamper
Thanks for your perspectives, it's super helpful. I will do further looking into the necessity of a slider hitch. I did see a promotional video for Cougar where they explain the rounded off corners of the front to help with turns on shorter bed trucks. So that is something to look for.
And that is a great suggestion to ask around at a local campground. There is a KOA just a couple miles from me that I can visit.
Old 08-04-2019, 07:47 AM   #26

@MtCamper Yes my truck came with the factory puck system so I am set in that regard!
Old 08-04-2019, 04:18 PM   #27

At every Mfr's RV display and a lot of other places, there will be someone handing out big plastic bags full of the same stuff - collect a few as you walk the show, they'll be useful when you start packing your rig after purchase. Some things need a bag to keep everything together (i.e. small vacuum).
As for "super prices" at the show, learn from what you hear - there will be people sitting at a nearby break area waiting for their quote and in typical teaming, the salesman will bring the "closer" with him. If you can sit at another nearby table and listen, it seems like at the low end TT (say 20k show price) you might see a grand off, mid tier TT a couple grand off on the TT and maybe 5k on the 5ers is the best I heard (I was helping a friend who wanted to buy a TT - it was a long day, through hundreds of TT - she didn't but got the experience she needed to go to dealers locations with confidence).
So yes, a show is a place to get ideas and to learn. Go multiple days.

I am not in the market for a new anything. I go to the show because I can camp with like brand neighbors and have fun. I cruise the show to see what accessory is new and maybe I buy. Food usually is not great, some is better, still not as good as I make. As mentioned, go to the seminars and learn, most are basic but you're learning none the less.
In Tampa there are easily a thousand towables (TT and 5ers) and a ton of motor homes from every brand - Newmar had 50 of their motorhomes brought up from North Trail RV in Ft Myers - not sure they are that well stocked in Hershey (I have a couple friends going that will let me know). I heard that they sold quite a few Newmars - the solo woman across from me in the CG bought one for pickup back in Ft. Myers.
Have fun at the shows and as advised, keep your wallet closed. You probably have a smart phone so you can compare prices on stuff while you're there - if the show has a great price on something you know you'll need, like camp chairs, progressive surge protectors (IMO the best), dump hoses (do your research on this), heavy 30A or 50A extension cords (also do your research on this before going), even something as nice as a custom wood sign that you stick in the ground at the head of your camping site. You'll see it all there. Since you're heading into the "we're buying sometime" mode, you can start collecting accessories, if the price is right.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 04:38 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by photodad View Post
@MtCamper Yes my truck came with the factory puck system so I am set in that regard!
You have already bought the truck. The 3500 will "pull a house off it's foundation" I heard the salesman say, and I don't doubt it. My BIL and I drove from Claremont FL to Charleston SC to buy his 3500 long bed dually quad cab set up the same as yours, with hitch in the bed. Great tow vehicle. Driving it back, when my turn came around I think it is like driving a slot car - very stable in curves - just very stable. It was my first time driving a dually. Very wide though - I can see how people crunch their fenders.

Now, I own a motorhome and have no 5er towing experience ( I have multiple boats so towing is not new to me) but I do have a BIL and another good friend with 36' 5ers and it seems that they keep a lot of stuff in the covered bed of their truck and both have 8' beds - things like their generator, mini "Egg" BBQ, bicycles, toolboxes, anything that they access easier out of their truck bed and really don't have room to store in their 5er. Can I assume it's 6' (my tundra has a 6' bed)? Anyway, your rig will bend in the middle which is easier in some situations than mine, which doesn't.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags