Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-26-2013, 10:40 AM   #1

Reason you sold/must-haves on next camper

Each move to a new camper (DP, TT, FW, etc.) comes with its own reasons.

We started in a tent in 2008.

Reasons we changed:
After one too many times sleeping in 30 degree weather with a rock in my back on a foam mattress shared by DH and DS, I decided if they wanted me to go camping, I wanted a camper.

In 2011, we bought a 2011 r-Pod 177
Our must-haves:
I wanted something new (not used).
I wanted lots of options (kitchen, toilet, shower, slide-out, room for at least 2 sleeping arrangements).
I wanted fiberglass siding.
DH wanted to keep the cost low.
DH loved the vintage tear-drop look.
DH wanted it to be towable by our current vehicle.

Reasons we changed:
I was tired of breaking down/setting up dinette into DS's bed each day.
DH was tired of climbing over me to get out of bed.
DS was constantly being asked to move so we could access storage.

In 2013, we bought a 2013 Keystone Passport Elite 28BH
Our must-haves:
I wanted something new (not used).
I wanted the same options (kitchen, toilet, slide-out, room for at least 2 sleeping arrangements).
I wanted a dedicated bed for DS.
I wanted a table + chairs; not a bench/banquette.
DH wanted a walk-around master bed.
DH didn't want to go over 31' in length.
DH was ready to upgrade our tow vehicle, but didn't want to move to diesel. Our new F150 ecoboost w/tow pkg. gasser pulls this light-weight TT just fine. It's also his daily commute vehicle, and his gas mileage is 16-18mpg.
DS can bring a friend since there are 2 bunks.

Who knows what our future holds!?!

I'd love to hear your reasons for selling/buying.
CBoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2013, 12:35 PM   #2

and pics welcome!

Pics are always fun...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tent.JPG
Views:	225
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	46698   Click image for larger version

Name:	rpod.JPG
Views:	180
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	46699  

Name:	passport.JPG
Views:	204
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	46700  
Old 09-26-2013, 01:35 PM   #3

We had a nice 2003 Holiday Rambler Endeavor that we did like, but as we are getting a 'little' older we chose to replace it with a 'newer' model. We figured that we should have another 10-14 years that we will still be able to RV. We upgraded to a 2009 Diplomat that should meet our needs for the time that we will still be able to enjoy RV traveling. We wanted the stay with the Monaco/Holiday Rambler line as we have had good luck with the first one we owned. Also want to stay away from DEF and wanted to stay with a Cummins engine. I am not sure that 'newer' (2011 and up) is always better.
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 01:47 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The only reasons that matter:

1. We wanted it.
2. We could afford it.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 02:33 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
We had a 2012 Solera now have a 2013 Winnebago Vista
#1 Way to small
#2 corner bed
#3 Bad service from freightliner
#4 Like Mr. D's #1 and #2
poppy bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 03:12 PM   #6

I sold my first camper because I wasn't using it. My wife and I sold our pop up when we had our son because she wanted a bath tub to bathe him in and I was getting tired of the up and down all the time. Our next camper will have a bunk house bedroom, walk around queen bed, and an outside kitchen.
Old 09-26-2013, 09:07 PM   #7

We sold our last TT, a 19' Zinger as we needed more room, more space for snow-birding. We loved the Zinger but it was just too small and cramped for 2 adults and a few cats to spend 3 or more months in at a time.
Old 09-29-2013, 02:34 PM   #8

Had a 5ver w/2 slides I lived in, was cheaper than rent anywhere I could find that was decent. NEVER had a truck to pull it, sold it after I bought a house7 years ago. It made a great mini apartment, but I never camped in it. Always tent camped, then starting 4 years ago, used a box bike trailer to camp in.

Then last year, I got a STEAL on a 26' Toyhauler I never was looking for.... It is almost perfect for me and the GF, her son (when we can get him to go), the dog, and any guests we invite. Look for long weekends to go camping now.
NFlcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:13 PM   #9

We had a 1990 Gulfstream Innsbruck 25' TT that we really enjoyed using.

It had some inconveniences, such as a bed that was right up against the corner and a tiny bathroom that I could only use with the door open
After years of use, it was just worn out. We considered completely renovating it, but decided to take the opportunity to go new.
Initially, we were against any kind of slide at all, but it quickly became apparent that in order to get the kind of room we wanted, we'd have to have a slide. So, the requirement became "the slide cannot block access to anything when it is in". We wanted a walk around queen, a double is fine for both of us side-to-side, but I'm 6'4" and need a little length in the bed, so queen it is. Next, we wanted a good sized bathroom. Finally, being able to sit on the sofa and watch TV without having to look sideways was kind of important, though not a deal breaker, since TV is only for bad weather days that keep us indoors.
What we ended up with is a 2014 Coachmen Catalina 253RKS. It is the perfect camper for us. The second outside entry door is in the bathroom, rather than the bedroom, which is awesome! It has a huge shower with doors, and amazing room. The slide, while about 11 feet wide, is only 18 inches deep. It contains the jackknife sofa and a wardrobe. When it is stowed, it doesn't block anything (well the interior bathroom door only opens about 18", but that's plenty of room to get in). It's got a 15K BTU ducted A/C and a minimum amount of carpet (important for us beach campers!). The rear kitchen makes perfect sense to us too. If this unit lasts as long as the last one, I will be one "happy camper" for sure!

Old 09-30-2013, 05:19 AM   #10

Got tired of hitting my head on the doorway, DW was having problems crawling over the bed......
A long ways from the 2 person pup tent when I was a bit more resilient. Waking up with frost on the sleeping bag..... oh yea, gotta check propane.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ForumRunner_20130930_071525.png
Views:	116
Size:	799.4 KB
ID:	46906   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130930_071536.png
Views:	127
Size:	641.3 KB
ID:	46907  

Old 09-30-2013, 06:06 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
We are selling our 38 ft Travel Supreme and have ordered a 43 ft Entegra.
We started off with one month trips and the 38 ft was great. Now we travel 3-4 months at a time and wanted a larger floor plan and 2 bathrooms. The 1.5 bath was the main "must have" for the DW. All of the computerized new toys are not bad either.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC01683.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	121.9 KB
ID:	46908   Click image for larger version

Name:	showimagerv.ashx (767x351).jpg
Views:	107
Size:	175.1 KB
ID:	46909  

A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 07:21 AM   #12

We started out with 1997 Nomad 29.5 ft,used to see if my husband would like camping and pulling a camper. He caught the camping bug. LOL I loved camping as I had camped with my family when I was young. I loved this camper it had a huge rear bathroom and walk around queen bed in a bedroom but with two growing boys we decided to get something a bit bigger so we sold it after 14 months and bouht a 2008 Keystone Hornet 35 ft with opposing slides in the rear living room nice bath and private bed room. Then last November while camping we had a very inconciderate neighbor who put his fire pit close to the rear of our camper and the smoke came pouring in the place where the plug goes inside the camper and we almost choked on the smoke not to mention our camper smelled like it had been on fire we decided to trade after 18 months of ownership. We now are the proud owners of a 2006 Grand Junction fifth wheel to which we absolutely love. It has everything we want in a rv, a large kitchen, master suite, roomy bath and lots of storage. My husband laughs beause we have traded up about every year and a half and he ask what will be next I told him this is it its perfect.
PHP Code:
[ATTACH]46913[/ATTACH]

[
ATTACH]46914[/ATTACH]

[
ATTACH]46915[/ATTACH
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3248.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	434.1 KB
ID:	46913   Click image for larger version

Name:	camper1.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	46914  

Name:	PC090136.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	316.8 KB
ID:	46915  
volvosweetie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 08:16 AM   #13

Our initial voyage into the RV world was a used 26 foot Coachman Class C with no slides which I shared with my nephew. We both wanted to see if we would like the lifestyle. The unit was fun, but the kids could not see out the front so a trip was more like a ride in a bus where you could only see out the side windows. I wanted to go to an A, but my nephew wanted to go to a 5er.

Next up was a new Coachman class A Mirada with no slides. Much better for the family but I got tired of taking down the dinette for the kids to go to bed. Other than the sleeping arrangements and the hassles, it was a good unit.

Then we made the mistake of going to an RV show and lo and behold they had an Itasca Sunova 34j that had bunks with their own TV's and a queen size bed for the two of us. Three slides and life was good......except there was this little problem with trying to stop that rig. The brakes were horrible. Yes, it was a Workhorse chassis. So, out of pure fear we went looking.

Now here we are with a 2011 Berkshire 390bh which we also purchased new. Two bunks with individual DVD's full size queen bed, sleep sofa with an air mattress. We have comfortably travelled with six people and really enjoy the rig.

What would I do from here? Probably an Entegra Anthem, depending on our circumstances. If we decide to have extended time on the road after the kids go to college in two years then we would want to go bigger. That would give us more stability with the tag axle, IFS, bigger engine, and more amenities. It would also work out better if we take others along with us. If not, then we might downsize. Who knows what the future holds, but darn it is fun to look and see what's out there in the wonderful world of RV's.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:13 AM   #14

These are all exactly the stories (and pictures!) I was hoping for. I love reading them!