Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2021, 12:50 PM   #1

Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Recent Fantasy RV Caravan Tours

Hi All:

I did a search and found some Fantasy RV Tour ratings all were very good. The DW and I are signing up for a 33 day Northwest Caravan tour for 2022. The latest review I read was dated December of 2019. I was just wondering if anybody recently used them on a caravan tour in the USA, and what was their experience with them.

We always wanted to tour Yellowstone and Mt. Rushmore and this seems to us a great way to enjoy the National Parks and to make new friends.

Regards Jim P.
pameridan04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2021, 06:02 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pameridan04 View Post
Hi All:

I did a search and found some Fantasy RV Tour ratings all were very good. The DW and I are signing up for a 33 day Northwest Caravan tour for 2022. The latest review I read was dated December of 2019.
They probably didn't give tours in 2020 because of Covid & that's why no recent ones.

We like to travel on our own time and stay as long as we want. I hope it works for you.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 06:06 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
We're like "twogypsies" and like to do our own thing......but as I thought about it, with campgrounds getting so tough to book, it might work out having the caravan company booking sites. A lot less stressful!
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 07:40 PM   #4

Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
We're like "twogypsies" and like to do our own thing......but as I thought about it, with campgrounds getting so tough to book, it might work out having the caravan company booking sites. A lot less stressful!
That's is what I was thinking. In the beginning of the year before I sold my current coach and ordered a new one, we tried booking campsites at three of our favorite camp grounds. No openings what so ever.

On a long trip I would usually call in advance for the first one or two stops, and wing it from there. But driving two thousand miles to see the National Parks and have no vacancies is a bit risky.

I lost this year of camping due to the sale and waiting for my new coach. I am not willing to loose next year because camp grounds are to full. I only have so many camping years left.

Jim P.
Old 06-28-2021, 09:03 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pameridan04 View Post
That's is what I was thinking. In the beginning of the year before I sold my current coach and ordered a new one, we tried booking campsites at three of our favorite camp grounds. No openings what so ever.

On a long trip I would usually call in advance for the first one or two stops, and wing it from there. But driving two thousand miles to see the National Parks and have no vacancies is a bit risky.

I lost this year of camping due to the sale and waiting for my new coach. I am not willing to loose next year because camp grounds are to full. I only have so many camping years left.

Jim P.
That's the way we look at it. At 65, I feel we have about ten more years, so every year lost is 10% of of the rest of our RV adventure. Hopefully more!
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 07:32 AM   #6

With the caravan tours you're paying for convenience and the security of traveling with a group. Plus the camaraderie that comes by being with the same folks on a regular basis. If that's important to you then they are probably a good solution. As we age those things become more and more important. As a result, I suspect the tours tend to be predominantly older folks unlike myself as I'm only 73.

Having said that, I've never heard anyone bad mouth the caravan tours. Some won't do it again but generally enjoyed the experience.

And I sure hope you're mistaken about your 10 year longevity prediction.
Titusville, FL when not on the road
hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 08:24 AM   #7

Several friends of ours did the Fantasy Alaska tour with a mostly Open Range group in 2019 and they said it was well worth it. They even had an Alaska reunion with the group last year (in Georgia). We are going to the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta through Fantasy this year with about 17 Open Range Rvers.
JK
Old 06-29-2021, 09:10 AM   #8

Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
With the caravan tours you're paying for convenience and the security of traveling with a group. Plus the camaraderie that comes by being with the same folks on a regular basis. If that's important to you then they are probably a good solution. As we age those things become more and more important. As a result, I suspect the tours tend to be predominantly older folks unlike myself as I'm only 73.

Having said that, I've never heard anyone bad mouth the caravan tours. Some won't do it again but generally enjoyed the experience.

And I sure hope you're mistaken about your 10 year longevity prediction.

LOL I hope I am wrong also, I will be turning 69 this December. Even though I still have some get up and go, sometimes it all ready got up an went.

What the heck I am going to give it a shot. It will be over 41 days. The tour is 33 days. It will take me 4 days to get there and 4 days back. I am still waiting on my new coach, hope I can get all the bugs out before I go.

Regards Jim P.
Old 06-30-2021, 08:49 AM   #9

We went with a Fantasy tour to Alaska in 2016 and did enjoy it. We chose the "your way" version since it was cheaper and we like to generally make our own plans and way. We made friends we still keep in touch with. Neither of us are big "joiners" and frankly were prepared to walk away from the tour while underway. But we were pleasantly surprised by it. As said, 2020 is an anomaly and most of their caravans were cancelled. This year last I heard the AK may not happen either since last I read, Canada is still under the covid phobia mode and you can't get to AK by road unless you go through Canada. I don't follow the border restrictions so things might actually be different now.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 09:07 AM   #10

We are usually go it alone people, but I think I might try one of these someday just to see how well it works.

I'd never heard of this program. Thanks for bringing it up.
69Stang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 09:55 AM   #11

We had signed up for a 12 day Autumn Harvest tour. Turned out we were not able to make that happen shortly after we scheduled the tour and changed to the Washington tour. They charged us a $50.00 switching fee for making the change.

We were then signed up for and had paid the full amount for the FMCA Fantasy Washington tour in 2020. On March 30, 2020 we received a letter telling us the tour was cancelled due to Covid and we had one of two options. One was get 85% of the $3,584.00 we had already paid or let them hold the money and apply to a future tour. After a lot of discussion we decided to take the cancel fee and loose 15% of the $3,584.00 ($537.60)plus a $89.00 processing fee. They said we would receive our refund within 30 days.

All of the camp grounds we had reservations at for our trip to the Washington tour gave us 100% of our money back.

We had posted a review of Fantasy with the above information but it was deleted.

At this same time FMCA had canceled there conventions and refunded (I believe) 100% of the money they had collected. We had written a letter to FMCA telling them what Fantasy was doing but heard nothing back from them.

We are and will continue being a FMCA member but after our experience with Fantasy Tours We will never give them another $1.00
Old 06-30-2021, 04:31 PM   #12

We were booked for a Canadian Tour leaving June 29th. Information from Fantasy was that we would receive our documents and details thirty days in advance. We did not hear anything and did not receive an email. Called June 2nd for details. We finally got thru and requested a refund. Told we could get one except for a handling fee of $89.00. Waited three weeks, never told about 30 days. Left 4 messages before we got another return phone call. We are very unhappy with their attention to detail and follow thru.

2021 Tiffin Allegro Bus 35cp, 2014 Cadillac SRX toad
36PFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 05:49 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 36PFT View Post
We were booked for a Canadian Tour leaving June 29th. Information from Fantasy was that we would receive our documents and details thirty days in advance. We did not hear anything and did not receive an email. Called June 2nd for details. We finally got thru and requested a refund. Told we could get one except for a handling fee of $89.00. Waited three weeks, never told about 30 days. Left 4 messages before we got another return phone call. We are very unhappy with their attention to detail and follow thru.
From what I am told the Canadian border is still closed due to Covid. So they did not tell you the tour was canceled and you had to cancel? At least you were lucky to get most of your money back except for the handling fee.
Old 07-01-2021, 05:51 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbojack View Post
From what I am told the Canadian border is still closed due to Covid. So they did not tell you the tour was canceled and you had to cancel? At least you were lucky to get most of your money back except for the handling fee.
My point is that they do not follow thru with their own procedures.

2021 Tiffin Allegro Bus 35cp, 2014 Cadillac SRX toad
36PFT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fan