Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2016, 04:47 PM   #1

Recent fatal RV crash and tire malfunction

Fellow Campers,

Recent RV crash around my neck of the woods was caused by tire malfunction. Our fellow camper lost control after tire malfunction and crashed into woods. RV then burst into flames.

http://patch.com/new-york/easthampton/least-one-person-killed-accident-sunrise-highways-police

Be safe and check your tires.
rvfigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2016, 04:51 PM   #2

UPDATE: Police Identify Man Who Died In RV Accident As Richard Santos of East Moriches - Hampton Bays - 27east
Old 09-27-2016, 05:13 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
rvfigs; I'm having a hard time equating this accident and a "Tire Malfunction" incident. No where in the article are tires even mentioned. For all we know the gentleman had a heart attack and that's why he went off the road with no signs of trying to slow down. Anything at this time is pure speculation.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 05:38 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Lindy View Post
rvfigs; I'm having a hard time equating this accident and a "Tire Malfunction" incident. No where in the article are tires even mentioned. For all we know the gentleman had a heart attack and that's why he went off the road with no signs of trying to slow down. Anything at this time is pure speculation.

This particular article didn't mention it, but local police report cites tire malfunction.

http://patch.com/new-york/easthampto...ighways-police

http://www.27east.com/news/article.c...ove-Of-Camping
Old 09-27-2016, 05:57 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
BREAKING: The fatal accident took place Sunday afternoon when a tire malfunctioned, New York State Police said.
Regardless of the cause

RIP and condolences to the family.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 09:14 PM   #6

According to his son he sounded like an awesome gentlemen. A tragedy, for sure.

None of us knows how fast a tire blowout can happen and within a few seconds this can happen. Folks talk about doing this or that when the tire blows but in all reality you really have barely no time. He wasn't speeding - doing 55. His wife was driving behind in the car. How awful to witness.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 07:37 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes, this is tragic. My heart goes out to this man's wife and family.
I have often wondered how I would react in a steer tire blowout. Everyone says you should keep your foot on the gas to maintain control and then bring the RV to a stop in a safe place. I fear the reality would be different, as the first instinctual reaction would be to take your foot off the gas and apply the brakes, which is quite possibly the worst thing one could do.
Years ago I bought and installed a Steer Safe device for this reason, hopefully I will never need to find out if it truly works, but if so I hope it does!
My steer tires will be 7 years old next season and will be replaced before our next long trip.
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 01:27 PM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Awful tragedy for sure! Makes me glad that I put a set of SteerSafe stabilizers on the MH right after I bought it!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote