Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-15-2020, 02:28 PM   #1

Recommendations for a pop-up gazebo / screen room

we are researching a gazebo / screen room that we can setup at camp. I was looking at the Gazelle Gazebo because it uses flex rods to pop-up in minutes and doesn't require a lot of tie down wires. The only problem I see is a review that says the screen material does NOT allow for airflow through the room and it gets very hot and stuffy inside it. Not ideal.
We are looking for something that we can setup to spend more time outside without direct sun and/or biting bugs.
What do you recommend?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2020, 03:03 PM   #2

We have the Clam and are very satisfied with it. Sets up quicky. First time we set it up was under two minutes.
allenb12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 03:55 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenb12 View Post
We have the Clam and are very satisfied with it. Sets up quicky. First time we set it up was under two minutes.

How about the temperature in it? I've heard with the Clam and the Gazelle (both look same?) that you need to put a fan in there or you will cook?
Old 09-15-2020, 04:27 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfcentral View Post
How about the temperature in it? I've heard with the Clam and the Gazelle (both look same?) that you need to put a fan in there or you will cook?

We have the clam and yes it can get hot. The screen does restrict the flow of air.
Funengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 06:50 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
We love our Clam. It is the only shelter we have had in 20 years that actually holds up to the wind, assuming you tie it down well. I never found it any hotter than any other screened shelter that has mesh small enough to keep out the bugs. Since we use it primarily to keep out the mosquitos (they absolutely love me!), we make that trade off in a heartbeat. We have even been cozily inside during a serious rainstorm with the rain covers on. Nice spot to out the propane fire pit and hear the rain.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 07:10 AM   #6

Another vote for Clam. Even our young people haven't managed to destroy it on setup or pack up, which is a testimony to its durability. It has also endured many afternoon thunderstorms at the beach.

We've had ours about 4 years, I think. Might as well purchase a big fan when you buy it though. It does get hot in there.
Old 09-16-2020, 08:06 AM   #7

We have a Coleman 13 x 13 pop up canopy that we like but it does not come with (and not available) with screens...what was Coleman thinking?
We use 10lb weight discs on the posts to stabilize. it does have tie downs also.
Looks really nice at night with lights around the frame.
psmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 11:10 AM   #8

Clam

Interesting to hear posts with opposite observations. "It is too hot." It is not too hot."

I have a Clam. It is without question too hot in low wind situations. That could be in heavy forest or just a calm sunny day. It takes a stiff breeze to force enough air through to cool on a hot day.

I have had other screen tents that were not as bad temperature wise. The other tents needed to be tied down with ropes and stake loops at the bottom. The Clam can be anchored using just the stake loops around the bottom.

Ropes are provided with the Clam, but I have yet to need them.
The Clam is heavy like the old canvas ones. But it holds its own against moderate winds. It is hot in the sun in low wind conditions.

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 02:57 PM   #9

Does anyone have a problem with placing a shelter on their site? We've been in a few parks where you couldn't have something like this as it would kill the grass. .... just wondering.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 12:58 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Eureka NoBugZone

This may not be a pop up specifically but we like it so far.

Tags
scr