Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-26-2018, 05:54 PM   #57

I agree that you need to decide what kind of park you want. Even as a newbie, I know there are certain things we look for that don’t seem as important to others. Consider some super sites - 1 1/2 to twice as large as others. Charge more. Individual restrooms and a laundry room that are kept spotless. Attractively landscaped with a dog park. Rules for all, that are enforced. A cabin or two to allow for friends/family that don’t have an RV. No dilapidated ‘permanent residents’. Water features (a lake, fountains, natural creek, whatever).
Read campground reviews in the area you plan to locate. Find the consistent complaint (need) across them all.... and design your campground to eliminate it.
Sophiegirl04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2018, 05:59 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbohn1 View Post
Hello all,

I am new to the forum and looking to get some help from the RV community regarding recommendations for a New RV Park - as in amenities & features you would love to see/dislike at current parts. (admins, if this post is on the wrong forum, please move as necessary)

I have been researching the internet for favorite & unfavorite features of the RV community- which is how I discovered this forum. I would love to get your feedback on amenities you love/hate at parks, and things that you think would do well at new parks. Perhaps, there is a similar recent post/thread that you would prefer to point me to?

I look forward to hearing to hearing from you and I am appreciative of any and all help! Thanks!
We look for a park that is clean, reasonable rates that makes you want to come back every year, FHU with no problems, cable or modem internet (none of this park WiFi that slows to a snail when more then 2 people get on), cable TV if OTA is limited, weekly dances, cement pads, decent space between sites, attentive and pleasant management, rules and regs that apply to us rather than children, activities. We could name more but the aforementioned are a good start.
Busyretirees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 06:27 PM   #59

Tiffin Owners Club
Model after Bella Terra

In Foley, Alabama.
They check all my buttons.
jhaig99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 07:06 PM   #60

Pull Thrus or at least angled back-in's

90 degree back-in's are a deal breaker for me when I have other options.

Also, please do not put the dump station at the back of the site, especially on Pull-Thru sites. If you have to unhook your car to place your rig at the back of the site, why have pull thru sites at all.

I like to hook-up the night before, not the day of departure. We have a 40' DP towing. Dutch Star with Jeep GC.

Just sayin'
RVoutrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 07:15 PM   #61

Number 1 - BIGGER, MORE SPACIOUS SITES. PULL - THRU. FULL HOOK-UPS.
There is no shortage of space in most places. Please, wider and longer sites. Seriously. Someone said 70’ length. NOT ENOUGH.

With a 20’ Tow Vehicle, 38’ 5’er & the 8’ Harley out of the Toyhauler;
That’s 64’ in itself. We appreciate 80-100’ long spots. We seek them out.

Most people despise the narrow spaces so many parks have opted for. Really horrible. My neighbors are usually strangers and we don’t appreciate being 5 ft from their utilities. Sometimes closer. Really? Sheezzz it is outrageous.

Yes, I realize it’s a cut down of fees/profits to give us more room, but it’s the right thing to do and i’d all but guarantee that you’ll stay busy because of that alone.

+ Individual, spacious shower/rest rooms.
+ Friendly, happy & helpful staff.
+ Convenience/camp store
+++ A reasonably priced bar/restaurant/meal service is a big bonus.
ShinySideUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 07:24 PM   #62

I’ve encountered many different types of parks but My wife and I fall into the group of family camping. We have a new 40’ DP to hold my five children who are 10 and younger. We prefer the campgrounds that limit you to two weeks max. I realize most campgrounds that people setup permently or at least for the season in don’t care much for us family campers who like to be outside playing and enjoying camp fires.

I’ll always pay extra for a full hookup (sewer hookup) so I’m not constantly walking kids to the bathhouse to keep my tanks from over flowing . I save the tanks for my wife and girls and me and the boys hit the shower houses when we don’t have a full hookup site. I have a tank caddy but honestly I hate the thing. If not a full hookup put an emphasis on a clean shower house.

A nice playground and ball court for our kids.

Spacious sites are nice but I’m a realist and understand that you need tighter sites to keep rates respectable to make any money. Just don’t make them so tight that my neighbors fire pit melts the side of my RV. A little grass is nice too.

Level sites so we’re not screwing around with blocks to keep my front wheels from coming off the ground.

Wide enough drives to maneuver through.

We take 6-8 trips at a week or so long each and try to camp at least every third weekend or so as well for about three nights. I don’t bat an eye at anything $50 and under per night but my expectations go up if your going to charge more than that. I’m the old one in the family at 38 and again have a wife and five kids. About a third of the time my in-laws follow along as well in there 40’ DP. I hope that profile helps you decide what kind of campground your shooting for. I try to keep my expectations realistic for both the campers and the business.
OlKYHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 07:49 PM   #63

New rv park

Most of what I read are good ideas...my suggestions are....also well trimmed trees..for shade...no semi -permanent residents...vehicles must be in movable inspected condition and be inforced...we own a 28 year old high end rig in near perfect condition..dont limit us because we are not under 10 years new...leave your customers have privacy...not all of us want to see staff every hour of the day....also...have maintenance people respect cars and rigs while they do lawn and ground maintenance...our paint job cost $10,000...we would like it to stay unchipped from weedwackers. and lawn mowers....no sheds, junk cars , chained or fenced dogs...and immediately removed drug and alcohol addicted patrons...and last but not least...give your patrons time and ability to do small repairs to there rigs...i am constantly cleaning and updating our rig...that's why it looks nearly new after 28 years...old rigs have real wood, amenities and charm you simply can not buy without spending 1.5 million dollars...old rigs are in people....look it up...our rig coat $245,000.00 in 1989...it has amenities just as nice and most of the time not even available on some cookie cutter rigs of today...craftsmanship never goes out of style..good luck....
Kbullwinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 07:56 PM   #64

New rv park

Oh and by the way...not everyone in rv parks smoke 4 packs of cancer stick everyday...have a non smoking section...thanks
Kbullwinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 08:38 PM   #65

Tiffin Owners Club
Perfect site

Sites must be level and that includes the patio area. Class A rigs cannot handle unlevel sites. Sites should face North with trees for shade on the western side to block afternoon sun. No trees to the south in order to get a good view for satellite lock. Easy pull through sites in the front for overnighters. Length at least 70 feet and width 40 feet. Picnic tables should not be near the ajoining site's sewer connection.
PCMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 09:11 PM   #66

Crystal

A campground in our area has golf carts for rent and Brick fire places that are really nice. All of their sites have either a fire place or fire ring. They also offer "buddy sites" for those traveling together. It is a very large and nice campground with concrete pads and individual water hook ups and sewer. It is in a resort area and is a little more expensive but stays full. They also have very strict rules. They pick up trash daily and have a dogie walk, small camp store and large very nice play area for the kids, a pool and lake access with a beautiful view. They also have very clean rest rooms, showers and laundry. They clean each site after each use. It is my understanding they are in the process of building tennis courts and basketball courts near the playground. They do not have long term sites which I personally think is good because if there are not very strict rules those sites usually become unsightly. I think the key to being successful is to insure that everything is kept clean and repaired.
Richpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 09:16 PM   #67

I am 72, and live in Italy for 6 months every year. I bought a 38' Grand Design Reflection trailer to live in while I am in the States. I have had a very hard time finding a place that will allow long term residents. Most are maxed on their long term sites, which indicates to me that there is a need. I am currently living in a very nice RV "resort" on a mountain that has two separate areas for long term residents. Some of the people have lived here for many years, and they keep their sites clean and landscaped. They may have porches and small sheds, but they also have grass and flowers. It is quite lovely, and while one of the areas is in the midst of a woods, the other one is very open and has few trees. I prefer the trees. This park also has cabins, tiny homes, yurts, tent areas, and several large areas for over night or week end guest.

I noticed that many of the comments were very anti-long term residents. I guess my question is where are we to go? I realize that parks probably make more money on over-nighters, but it would be nice to have some areas that are for the long term people, like this one does. This is my home. I keep my site tidy, and although I have not landscaped, I do rake the leaves, and keep things around my trailer to a minimum.
DeeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 09:38 PM   #68

I think the long term comments are based on the campgrounds that allow the grounds to go downhill and are littered with some residents that don't care how their site looks. I have a feeling anyone that they are complaining about honestly doesn't maintain their rig or their site. I honestly don't think they dislike long term residents. I think they have a disdain for junky campgrounds that could and should be cleaned up. We have all seen the reviews and the campsites they are referring too. Like the one pictured.( Sorry of it's your rig[emoji16]) No one on a weekend getaway wants to park next to someone who doesn't give a rip and feels like they own the place and can junk it up. It's nothing personal. And I know there are nice long term residents. This isn't pointed at you! You obviously take pride in your rig and site! Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20180826-223709.jpeg
Views:	60
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	216545
KyleC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 09:40 PM   #69

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
I see it's your first post-

DeeS,

Best regards,
W.D.
Roadmaster Nighthawk II, 2011 Lincoln MKX.
2012 Newmar Canyon Star (first coach) FMCA F428511.
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 09:49 PM   #70

I recently stayed in a park that had a dog washing station, similar to a car wash. Great idea.
I would also welcome an RV washing station if washing at the campsite is not allowed. Finally, a nice fenced dog play area with grass! Traveling dogs love it whenever they get a chance to roll in the grass.
Thanks for asking.