Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2011, 05:13 PM   #15

RJ
Curious as to how much mineral oil is added to each battery. I have read that this works but the battery folks frown on the idea any reason on their part.
CHCam42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2011, 05:18 PM   #16

WOW!! Mineral oil? That's a new one on me... Has anybody looked into the Tesla switch to condition and extend battery life? I've been reading up on it and think it would be something campers would benefit from. I've yet to build one, but I am collecting parts for a small scale test...
Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 05:57 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
I spoke with a chemist(PhD) at Johnson Controls, the manufacturer of Interstate batteries because I had heard the battery warranty would be void if oil was used in the battery. The reason I was given is that they(JC) could not control the type of oil that somebody would put in the battery. I told him I used food quality mineral oil. His comment was “Well we can't control what other people put in their batteries”. Further into our discussion he told me they put oil in some of their batteries.

Before I put oil in the batteries I wanted to make sure I had enough distance to the bottom of the oil to the top of the battery plates so I could take accurate specific gravity readings. I found out from Interstate base on the battery's interior measurements that I could remove 4 oz. of electrolyte and add an equal amount of oil and have a half inch of clearance to the top of the plates to the full mark.

The best way to do it is use a eraser pencil with a half inch mark. Remove the electrolyte until you reach the mark and add the 4 oz. of oil, then replace the electrolyte until the battery is full.

You can purchase food grade mineral oil at Walmart for less than $2.00 for a 12 oz. bottle. I have 4 – 6 volt U2200 Interstate batteries which took, if I remember correctly, one bottle per battery.

If you are concerned about your warranty, wait until it expires then add the oil.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 06:19 PM   #18

Been reading up on this myself to recondition my golf cart batteries. Cool stuff to save a bunch of money rather than buy 6 new batteries. If it works great...if not well...........
Old 07-08-2011, 06:29 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Ed,
Putting oil in the batteries doesn't do anything to prolong their life. It's done to cut down on maintenance and reduce/eliminate corrosion and watering intervals. It in no way interferes with the operation of the batteries.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:19 PM   #20

the oil goes on top of the water when I remove the caps on the batterys, and if I need to add water do i add water then the oil or the oil first then water? Thanks Joe
ninos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 07:30 PM   #21

RJay,
ok thanks
Old 07-08-2011, 07:50 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninos View Post
the oil goes on top of the water when I remove the caps on the batterys, and if I need to add water do i add water then the oil or the oil first then water? Thanks Joe
Once the oil is in the battery just add distilled water as you normally would. If you need to add water after you add oil just add some of the electrolyte that you removed for the oil to top it off.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:57 PM   #23

You can do a Search here on iRV2 on "mineral oil batteries" and get a wealth of discussion on this topic.

Edison (Thomas) had a staple product back in the day called "Battery Oil." He was sufficiently proud of the product to put his signature on the bottle.
Old 07-08-2011, 08:01 PM   #24

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Google Thermoil.

Take care,
Stu
Old 07-08-2011, 08:04 PM   #25

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Also, search this forum for Thermoil.

Take care,
Stu
Old 07-08-2011, 08:16 PM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Thermoil is a lot more expensive than mineral oil.
Old 07-09-2011, 03:30 AM   #27

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJay
Thermoil is a lot more expensive than mineral oil.
No doubt about that. Their website does give some info about the theory. I think Thermoil is mostly mineral oil.

Take care,
Stu
Old 07-10-2011, 02:42 PM   #28

I've found another option for rejuvenating batteries:

Welcome to Renaissance Charge -

Sunlight R-Chargers

It seems we are just now catching up to all the designs of Nikola Tesla and these two sites have utilized his designs to manufacture the next big thing in battery care. I have spent a LOT of time recently reading the posts of those who follow Tesla and are trying to develop his designs into useful circuits for everyones' benefit. Looks like someone has succeeded!!
Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries