RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-02-2020, 09:53 AM   #1

Unhappy Refrigerator panel fell to floor and is jammed!

Arriving home from a recent (my first) trip in my 2017 Forest River Flagstaff travel trailer, I found that the mounting bracket under the molded door panel of my Dometic (model DM2652) refrigerator had dislodged, and the panel itself had fallen to the floor.

It's wedged tight against the floor, and my attempts to pull it up and back into place have failed. I've tried (with a friend) prying it up with flathead screwdrivers, and have tried to pull it up with pliers. The needle-nosed pliers got a bit of a grip (perhaps 1/4" of the tips) and I couldn't wedge the regular pliers into the 1/8" space at all.

The manual is no help. Dometic tells me they can't help since I am out of warranty, even if I pay them. I called area RV repair shops (including my dealer) and nobody can see me for 6 weeks minimum. Timing is urgent since I'm moving my household (including the trailer) in 4 weeks.

Any ideas of how to fix this? Here's what I've come up with:
1) Remove the door. No idea how to do this. I can't reach the hinge since the door is wedged open perhaps 6" at the non-hinged end.
2) Use my grinder to cut 1/4-1/2" off the bottom, in hopes it'll give me enough leverage to pull the panel back into place.
3) Cut the panel about 1' from the floor so I can both close the door and access the fuse box under the frig. It'll look horrible but at least I can use the frig until I can have it "professionally" repaired.

Thanks so much for reading all of this, and for any advice you can give.
Madeline

PS: I have photos but when I try to upload them, iRV2 asks for the URL of the picture. Say what???

NOMADeline is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2020, 10:15 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOMADeline View Post
Arriving home from a recent (my first) trip in my 2017 Forest River Flagstaff travel trailer, I found that the mounting bracket under the molded door panel of my Dometic (model DM2652) refrigerator had dislodged, and the panel itself had fallen to the floor.

It's wedged tight against the floor, and my attempts to pull it up and back into place have failed. I've tried (with a friend) prying it up with flathead screwdrivers, and have tried to pull it up with pliers. The needle-nosed pliers got a bit of a grip (perhaps 1/4" of the tips) and I couldn't wedge the regular pliers into the 1/8" space at all.

The manual is no help. Dometic tells me they can't help since I am out of warranty, even if I pay them. I called area RV repair shops (including my dealer) and nobody can see me for 6 weeks minimum. Timing is urgent since I'm moving my household (including the trailer) in 4 weeks.

Any ideas of how to fix this? Here's what I've come up with:
1) Remove the door. No idea how to do this. I can't reach the hinge since the door is wedged open perhaps 6" at the non-hinged end.
2) Use my grinder to cut 1/4-1/2" off the bottom, in hopes it'll give me enough leverage to pull the panel back into place.
3) Cut the panel about 1' from the floor so I can both close the door and access the fuse box under the frig. It'll look horrible but at least I can use the frig until I can have it "professionally" repaired.

Thanks so much for reading all of this, and for any advice you can give.
Madeline

PS: I have photos but when I try to upload them, iRV2 asks for the URL of the picture. Say what???
Manage attachment asks you for a URL? Under additional options (hit reply to my post to see it) and the second area is "attach files" and click "manage attachments".

gertpacu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 10:28 AM   #3

Ok , sounds like you're having a fun day.....NOT!

Door removal would be covered in the owners manual , and if you don't have one they are available as free downloads on the manufacturers web site.
But; if you can't move the door, to access the hinge screws , I'm pretty sure you won't be able to remove it.

Cutting the bottom edge of the panel might be your only option .

BTW, it took me about three weeks to figure out posting pictures to threads .
So I can understand your frustrations there.
Most photos require resizing , or they are too big to post . Resizing to 640 pixels works best for me.
Using the " Manage Attachments " box in the " Additional Options " section below your post , will open the " Attachments selection" box , and you can select the photo .
Wait for the photo to finish downloading , before you close the attachments box .
Also; I'm using a laptop with Windows 10 , so your procedure could vary .

More info at this link.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f62/forum...ics-49134.html
Old 07-02-2020, 10:59 AM   #4

Here are photos

Thanks for the photo/attachment advice! Here they are, in case it helps.
Madeline
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	InkedFlagstaff-frig2_LI.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	913.6 KB
ID:	291715   Click image for larger version

Name:	InkedFlagstaff-frig3_LI.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	948.1 KB
ID:	291716  

Old 07-02-2020, 11:14 AM   #5

Madeline , Mark was probably typing his post when you posted the photos .

The panel slid down , so theory is ; somehow it should slide up .
While prying up were you able to unlatch the door ond wiggle it at the same time ?

From your picture I can't tell if the door is open .
Old 07-02-2020, 11:19 AM   #6

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Madeline-

I'd be inclined to pull out at the bottom, then up. That's how it got there.

You could always drill through the panel face in a couple locations, install eye bolts and washers, and then pull upward with lines through the eyebolts. If it goes back into position, either patch the holes or cover with some small steel plates you can use to hang magnets.

My original idea, suction cups, probably won't work due to wood grain on the panel.

You might find replacement panels within your budget. If so, feel free to saw it off. You don't need to buy a panel that matches the one that's there. I replaced our refrigerator's panels with stainless steel, and packed the wood ones away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Madeline , Mark was probably typing his post when you posted the photos .
Correct. Most of what I wrote was no longer useful. Hence, this new post.
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 11:26 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post

Correct. Most of what I wrote was no longer useful. Hence, this new post.
Happens to me all the time , two fingered typing has it's disadvantages.
Old 07-02-2020, 11:27 AM   #8

Silicone spray down the panel mount groves might help too.
Old 07-02-2020, 12:34 PM   #9

Thanks, Skip

Quote:
The panel slid down , so theory is ; somehow it should slide up . While prying up were you able to unlatch the door ond wiggle it at the same time ?

From your picture I can't tell if the door is open .
Thanks, Skip. Yes, the door is open about 6" so opening it (at least a little) isn't the problem. I could probably close the door (would scrape the floor; ugh), but the panel would conceal the fuse box and who knows what else. Not a long-term solution. ;-)

I appreciate your writing!
Madeline
Old 07-02-2020, 12:40 PM   #10

Smile Thanks, Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
Madeline-

I'd be inclined to pull out at the bottom, then up. That's how it got there.

You could always drill through the panel face in a couple locations, install eye bolts and washers, and then pull upward with lines through the eyebolts. If it goes back into position, either patch the holes or cover with some small steel plates you can use to hang magnets.

My original idea, suction cups, probably won't work due to wood grain on the panel.

You might find replacement panels within your budget. If so, feel free to saw it off. You don't need to buy a panel that matches the one that's there. I replaced our refrigerator's panels with stainless steel, and packed the wood ones away.
Hi, Mark.
Replacing the panels entirely hadn't occurred to me. I'm not quite sure how to install those eyebolts and washers if I can't reach the other side of the panel (very little side clearance), but maybe a friend with handyman attributes can help.

Thanks very much for taking the time to advise!
Madeline
Old 07-02-2020, 12:41 PM   #11

Smile Thanks, Skip

Quote:
Silicone spray down the panel mount groves might help too.
I'll give this a try, too. Thanks so much!
Madeline
Old 07-02-2020, 03:24 PM   #12

Did you look at the user manual or the installation manual? Here's a link to the installation manual which may help.

https://www.manualslib.com/products/...2-2821466.html

If you do a Google many ideas come up including various YouTubes:

twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 09:04 AM   #13

Smile Thanks, twogypsies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Did you look at the user manual or the installation manual? Here's a link to the installation manual which may help.

https://www.manualslib.com/products/...2-2821466.html

If you do a Google many ideas come up including various YouTubes:

Thanks so much! I hadn't thought to Google it (duh); had simply done a keyword search on iRV2 and nothing relevant came up. The video helped with the reinstall part (plus alerted me I'd have to buy a new bracket part). His panel did not fit into side grooves as mine does, so he didn't suffer ;-) from my main problem. I'll check out the installation guide, but I'll guess that since the panel fits in grooves on 4 sides, I'll need a more aggressive solution.

You iRV2 people are the greatest!
Madeline
Old 07-03-2020, 11:41 AM   #14

I think I would try a wide "wonder bar" and a 3/4" block of wood. I would try to slide the bar under the panel, place the wood under the prybar and using your foot/leg, stand on the prybar and see if that gives you the leverage to get it off the floor and back into the tracks. The wood should protect the floor.
I just replaced the fridge in our coach and I had to take the wood front insert from the old and add to the new - not sure how your dilemma could have happened. The slot should have secured the wood in place. Did the top of bottom track break off? I think I had to remove the top to slide in the wood. Maybe your door is reversed so the top track is on the bottom? Just grasping at straws here.

'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
floor, panel, refrigerator