Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-21-2013, 05:02 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Registering a motorhome in South Carolina

We just retired early and moved to Hilton Head, SC. We are full timers using the Hilton Head Island Motorcoach Resort as our home base, we bought a lot here. I just went to register the coach with DMV and found out we had to pay a property tax on the coach of close to $3000.00 per year. Ouch!! Does anyone know the best and cheapest place to register an rv. And how driver's licensing works to, would we have to have a license from that state as well. And how does buying health insurance work in this, would I have to have health insurance
in that state so I'd be paying out of network here in Hilton Head? A lot of questions, I know, but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Rob
Rob-n-Lorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2013, 07:39 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yeah we are in upstate sc and pay property taxes every year on the mh. It should go down a little every year but, there are other states I would have sought residence in like Texas, s. Dakota, etc.
Sagamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 09:30 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Simply because of your relative proximity, I might look into getting a Florida address and driver's license. There are mail services that operate out of Florida that you could use to establish residency - and to put on your driver's license and motorhome title. You wouldn't have to use that address for anything else.

I don't know the particulars, but one of the owners here in our "home park" (you should come up for a visit sometime) lives in Columbia but has Florida plates on his rig. We established our legal residence in South Dakota, a decision that was validated when I called a few years ago to find out what the annual taxes would be on our motorhome and Jeep here in South Carolina. What a commerce killer!
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 09:41 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
You can register in another state as long as you don't exceed stay times in SC and/or whatever rules they have to declare domicile. I don't know what the particular laws for SC are, but I'd check into it and make sure you can legally get around them. Usually it's a question of you can only stay x months in state, and must stay out of state the rest of the year, but some states have additional rules too. If you can get around them, then you can go ahead and register the coach in FL, just south of you. Tax-free state and several mail forwarders who operate there and will give you an address to use for drivers license, etc.

Tags
motorhome